The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keep the old Biarritz or go for the new(er) K2?

Hi my trusted advisers! I had a quick "what would you do" post.

My good friend went to Rolex and came home packing a new monoflap voltaire. (Jealous!) Now her "old" Albion K2 is up for grabs, and I really like the position it puts me in, and it feels very secure... so I thought I might sell my 2005 Biarritz and swoop up hers.

My trainer, who is well known in the eventing world, saw me cleaning up my Biarritz this morning and I told him I was thinking about listing it for sale. Him: "I'll buy it. That's a great saddle!" Me: Oh! Um...

His reaction made me doubt my move toward the Albion K2. The Biarritz is a little worse for the wear and not as cushiony...

SO: What would you do!?
    Sit up and kick on! ~Phoebe Buckley

What do your horse's back and your saddle fitter say?

My gelding is an easy to fit guy- both work well with him. I am not working with a fitter just yet, as I was first feeling out how I felt about the K2. My impression- deeper seat, a bit more secure for my boy's ambitious hind end push over the BN level jumps that I do.
    Sit up and kick on! ~Phoebe Buckley

I can't speak to the Biarritz but I have a K2 and I really like it. Mine has TB points and the trap panels, so it is easy to adjust the flocking around his withers as he changes shape. I rode in a Kontrol and did like the closer contact feel, but not enough to chase after one.

Which do you prefer riding in? I LOVE my K2. My coach hates it but it dits me, not her. She's 8 inches shorter and more naturally secure so she finds the blocks uncomfortable, but she agrees it has done wonders for me.

Not sure about the Biarritz, but the K2 can easily be reflocked if needed.

Everyone has their personal preferences. Ultimately what matter is that of you and your horse. Maybe look at your trainers reaction as a blessing. You already have a buyer lined up!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I adore my K2. It fits an incredibly wide range of horses, it is ridiculously comfortable, and has weathered extremely well (despite my lack of tack-care prowess).

My 2 cents.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

I LOVE my Biarritz and won't ever, ever part with it. But it is the right saddle for me - if the Albion puts you in a better position, maybe that is the right saddle for you.

So the fact that your coach wants to buy it is making you question whether you should sell the saddle?

If you personally like the K2 better, go for it and count it a blessing that you have a buyer on hand for the Biarritz! Sounds like a sign you should sell!

I love my K-2 Albion! I have not sold my old saddle, but for the same reasons as you, I liked the Albion! The only bad thing is that a) it's hard to selll my old saddle, and b) my previous saddle is brown and all my matching bridles and stuff are brown. So---- I have to buy some black matching tack eventually.
    For me, I could care less what a trainer says- at my age, comfort and security trump everything else! If the Albion helps your confidence in the saddle (which mine did!), then get it, and get it now!!!