The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default High withered horse - close contact dressage saddle recommendations

I am ready to begin looking for a new (at least to me) dressage saddle. After riding bareback in my Christ sheepskin bareback pad for the past few months I have noticed I ride a lot better and my horse feels much better underneath me than when I ride in my Passier Grand Gilbert.

Louie has high withers and a wide sprung ribcage, so something that fits those type of horses would be best. And I prefer a dressage saddle without a lot of extra fluff.

Any recommendations to what brand and model I should try are greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Cutie Lou.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	35551  
    Libby

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - DAVE BARRY

i am a Stubben convert. I just bought a basically brand new (it was a demo and ridden in maybe a couple times) Tristan. It is an XW to fit my pony - but it also fits my highwitherd WB mare.

you might give Stubben a call or looks for used models.

my saddle was about 1200 including shipping etc.

Stubben does know how to build a tree to fit a horse. I'm impressed by the range of horses they fit.

Amerigos (in H/J world) are known for accommodating the high withered beast. You might try their Close Contact dressage saddle and see what it does for you and Louie.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The Stackhouse dressage saddles are close contact. I've seen 2-3 advertised used lately; might be worth a look. They are custom, so you might find one that was built for a horse with a higher wither.

I too rode my pony bareback for a couple months and could not find anything. Ended up buying a Stubben Genesis Special and she went so well in it. She did not have high withers, but had a very narrow topline with a wide shoulder and ribcage, so essentially similar (she needed something narrow enough on top, but wide at the points). The Genesis is uniquely shaped for this and you simply cannot get any more close contact.

I also agree with mbm, the Tristan is similar in many ways. If you have the opportunity try all the Stubbens.

I have a high-withered horse who is a medium or narrow-medium tree - I like my passier close contact saddle - an old version, but no extra people padding. I think the 'center' of the saddle's seat is a tig behind my leg, though. Passier does make some newer saddles you could look at - some of them have a higher and cut back pommel.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/