The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Diamond or Horse

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Diamond

15 24.59%
  • Horse

37 60.66%
  • Other

9 14.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Marriage Proposal?

Which do the CotH women prefer: this or the diamond?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...geproposal.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Matson; May. 4, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Right now? Diamond.

Mostly because it doesn't have to eat.

To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I wouldn't trust my husband to buy the right horse.

Ages ago my sister was proposed to with a horse. Her fiance to be asked me to help him find one as an engagement "ring." When my sister came to the barn for me to take her on a trail ride...her own new horse was standing in the barn aisle wearing a proposal sign. It was awfully cute.
    (they didn't end up married though)

For me personally? I'd prefer a ring. I like to pick my own horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Depends on the horse and depends on the diamond.

How about both?
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Ages ago my sister was proposed to with a horse. Her fiance to be asked me to help him find one as an engagement "ring." When my sister came to the barn for me to take her on a trail ride...her own new horse was standing in the barn aisle wearing a proposal sign. It was awfully cute.
    (they didn't end up married though)

Does that mean she had to give back the horse if she broke off the engagement, like with a ring? Although, if HE was the one to back out, the ring is not always returned....
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Saddlebreds, Dragons, Western Roses, & Cairns

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Wish i had thought about picking "other"... then i could have chose both!!!

Neither. If a guy was gonna drop a couple grand on me, I'd rather have a saddle than a diamond. Unless the guy is really knowledgeable, I'd be worried about an engagement horse. What if he shows up with a Friese-Walka-Loosa Vanner, expecting me to be thrilled? I can see some situations in which it could work. Like if the woman has been leasing or taking lessons on a horse for a while, and the man knows that horse is her favorite, so he arranges to buy it. But in general I'm not sure it's a good idea.

In regards to what happens if you break up: when I was in high school doing the 4H shows, I knew a cute QH mare with the registered name of Shes Got The Ring. The story was that an engaged couple bought each other weanlings and registered them as "Shes Got The Ring" and "Hes Got The Ring." Several years later they divorced and sold the horses.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Neither

Like PP, I prefer to pick out my own horses. And while DH did propose to me in the traditional diamond-ring fashion, I never wear the thing. Much to his dismay
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

ya know, i think other would be best.
    how wrong can a guy go with a new truck and trailer? or tractor with implements? or even a nice round pen would be cool and they're totally
    affordable.

what about a horseback riding vacation in europe?
    i got a ten grand diamond, so not too shabby; but someday i can totally see selling it for a down payment on a new horse related something or another!
    (don't tell him please).

I voted 'other' because the way that I read it, 'other' really meant BOTH !

Other. I have a horse. A friend of my got a horse trailer as an engagement "ring". That's totally cool!
    And nothing bad happened!

My old horse was named "Gage" short for engagement. He was an engagement present.

Only a 16.3 green OTTB was a bit too much to handle for the new bride. So he was sold shortly after the wedding. I lucked out and picked him up for not much $$.

Like others.. I don't think the Mr. would pick the right horse (and heck, I want to pick my horse!)

Besides, the ring doesn't eat, and doesn't get hurt, and will last longer then a horse.

Been wearing my ring for 10 years, hope to be wearing for many more....

Other, just b/c I don't particularly want a diamond and wouldn't really want the horse to be a substitute for a ring or some kind of artifact to wear to show I am taken... For instance, at a social get-together with just the girls, etc., I sometimes wish I had a ring-just to show I am not looking and don't try to pick me up! A horse just is too hard to bring into a bar.

Also, I like to pick my own horses. I'd want something more "lasting" than a horse as an "engagement ring" anyway! How about an engagement ring and as a wedding present that schoolmaster I've wanted for years.

Yep. I'b be satisfied with that arrangement. hahaha
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

It appears the CotH woman realize the probability of marrying a horse knowledgeable man is close to zero.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    It appears the CotH woman realize the probability of marrying a horse knowledgeable man is close to zero.
    Yep. I hope that if I ever got engaged and he felt compelled to buy me something to seal the deal, that he'd be humble enough to shop together....for a horse, horse trailer, saddle, ring, or whatever. I'd be much more inclined to go horsey anything than a ring, though.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Not a marriage proposal, but I got this on my first Mother's Day as a mom: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22967...53911905JiiGzY

The colt was 4 weeks old -- he's now 2 and I adore him. The baby human is 2.5 and I adore him too.

I picked the colt out, though. Mr. Fordtraktor is horse-indulgent but not horse-y.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    I wouldn't be TOO worried with mine. He knows what a good "budweiser horse" looks like So that would probably end with me training the horse to do reining (No, seriously... he wants a reining 'budweiser horse' )

Although the one craptastic psycho bay saddlebred/arab/llama at the ranch we worked at was his fav horse.... *facepalm* that thing was awful looking, a pain in the rear to get around the arena, would randomly bolt, could not be put in a stall as he would destroy the thing and plow you down as soon as the door was opened, would not load in a trailer (would rear and have no problem with you being in the way... the one time we did get him in the trailer he stood for a second, turned around and bolted out knocking down people on the way...) But yet he loved this psycho ugly beast... some how. Uhg. Okay so maybe I retract my statement... hahaha!!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I chose "other."

I already have 4 horses. I told the boyfriend that I'll just take a nice horse trailer...