The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blue Eyes - Good or Evil?

What are your thoughts/experiences with horses that have blue eyes. I read about them and there doesn't seem to be any hard evidence that they cause flakiness in horses, but my filly has two blue eyes and she seems to overreact to some visual stimuli. She's curious and likes to play with things in the arena like the mounting block, so I brought my Equispirit ball out for her to play with. All the other horses looked interested, maybe high-alert at most - she ran THRU the steel fence when I was still 500 feet away! Then, the other day, I walked in her stall with a maroon water bucket that contained hay and she about had a stroke - BOLTED across her pen. She doesn't seem to be a spooky horse by nature - she will follow me anywhere - over tarps in the wind, into the trailer, she even followed me into the tack room once (uninvited). Just curious what you guys have experienced.
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend

It's hogwash. We own the best little blue eyed Shetland on the face of the earth (most people would think a blue eyed Shetland would be Satan's spawn!)....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Best pony EVER, no kidding.

No correlation to personality/behavior whatsoever. I've met some NASTY brown-eyed horses, some saintly blue eyed horses, and everything in between.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Had a Paint gelding with one blue eye. He was a saint. But there was one girl at the barn who called it his "devil eye". Made me crazy.

Had an AWESOME shetland pony who had two blue eyes, and my current mare has a blue streak in one eye... my personal opinion is they are smarter and most people don't "get" smart horses! They think they're naughty! haha! Ok maybe it has more to do with the fact that mine are ponies that makes them too smart for there own good... and really has nothing to do with those blue eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    SQUEE!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

DD has a mare with one brown and one blue. She's the best mare, just LOFFS her kid.

hundredacres...I want to squeeze that pony! Holy cuteness!

Sorrelfilly...are you wondering if the blue eyes cause flakiness due to different eyesight issues that dark eyed horses might not have?

In general colors/patterns/appearance does not affect horse personalities. As much as we all joke about it, it's not true that all chestnut mares are witches or difficult. Swirl patterns on the head don't dictate personality. White feet aren't weaker than dark feet. And blue eyes aren't flaky.

Your horse is young? She may be going through a flighty stage. She may just have a flighty personality. I'd just keep slowly introducing new things to her again and again to help desensitize her a bit. Try googling desensitizing horses (or searching on here) for ideas on what to try with your horse. And as you work with her remember to not try to anticipate a bad reaction from her...many times a horse reacts with a spook because they were cued by the person unknowingly.

The blue eyed horse I had...the Magnificent Moo Man...was definitely not flighty. Nothing scared him. But...he was WAY smart and a wise-ass too. He could get into or out of pretty much anything and heaven forbid he got bored...he got up to all sorts of trouble when bored! But with this face, who could stay mad?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...G_1106Copy.jpg
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

An eye is an eye. They are structurally the same and work the same, doesn't matter the color. Just like humans and dogs and cats can have different colored eyes, so can horses. There are also amber eyes in addition to brown and blue. Now that doesn't mean the horse can't have vision issues, they would just be unrelated to the color of the eye.

One of the best horses I've ever owned was a blue eyed paint. He was definitely not flakey but was quite smart.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Misty blue - very handsome! I love the blue eyes with the eyeliner!

Hundred acres - i cant see your pony on facebook

My daughter has a blue eyed welsh who would walk through fire to be with her...awesome pony. And, my friend has a blue eyed draft/paint cross, sweet as can be!

Misty blue - very handsome! I love the blue eyes with the eyeliner!
    Thanks! But he preferred to call it Guyliner.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I used to have a gelding with a part-blue eye. He was decidedly not right in the head, but I don't think that had anything to do with his eye color. Actually, it was kind of funny, since he was by far the dumbest horse I have ever owned, and that eye always make him look sort of vaguely startled and vapid He's the chestnut in this picture: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28705...00789832qptQFF
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I find blue eyes kinda creepy, but it is a matter of personal taste. As to eye colour and vision problems, I believe it would be the same as humans, colour doesn't matter.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I find blue eyes kinda creepy, but it is a matter of personal taste. As to eye colour and vision problems, I believe it would be the same as humans, colour doesn't matter.
    Agreed. Esp when the light hits them a certain way. No thanks!

I know some people who consider the blue fleck in some horses' eyes to make it a "spirit eye".
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post

Hundred acres - i cant see your pony on facebook
    Sorry! Try this one:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ber2006027.jpg

Misty Blue - very handsome!!

One COTHer, blueyed palomino I think, had a hysterical story of a gal coming to look at a horse - with blue eyes - who thought them to be creepy.
    At that point all the blue eyed horses in the yard popped their heads up to look at her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

I think I read it on here ages ago...someone bought a new horse that had a bald face and pale blue eyes and when she turned it out with other horses, they all freaked out and ran away from it until she put a fly mask on it.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte