The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Oh my goodness, unless the search feature is failing me, the last time we did this was in October 2000. It's definitely time for a new Let's Meet thread!

(If you need to catch up, you can read Let's Meet, part 3, and find links to parts 1 and 2 there as well.)

I've posted this before, but what the hey... I'll get everyone started. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm 27 (for another month), live in Annapolis, Md., and work for VetCentric, an online animal health care magazine as a reporter. Before that, I was the Chronicle's West Coast correspondent in Arizona, and before that, I was an editorial staffer in the Middleburg office.

I have three beasties -- Chief, a 9-year-old (going on 3-year-old) OTTB who's eventing BN/Novice this fall; Rocky, a 24-year-old TB/App, now retired; and Bingo, a 34-year-old Appy pony I inheirited back from my parents in April, when our other pony had to be put down. And I also have a cranky 15-plus-year-old cat named Gus, who I found living under the porch of a house I rented in Upperville several years ago.

I've evented through prelim and am a B Pony Clubber. Other than horses, I'm into music and watching sports (football and basketball). Although since the horse family has multiplied, I haven't had much time for either... or anything else, truth be told. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If that's not enough dirt for ya, check my webpage: http://www.geocities.com/~eharty .

There... not so hard, is it? All right lurkers, come on out!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Im not a lurker, but here goes:

My name is Rebecca, I am 17, and a seniopr in high school. next fall i will (hopefully) be going to Virginia Intermont.

I have 2 lil darlings.

Pirateer(ratface) a 9 yr old bay tb gelding. he's a spazoid. He likes refusing. its training time.
    and...
    Clementine, a 17 yr old bay tb/QH mare, who is wonderful, and packs my a$$ around when I need a confidence builder. SHe knows everything, and will let you know that she knows everything. Don't tell her what to do.

I do the Children's Hunters/Jumpers, and 14-17 Equitation. Last yr I did Long STirrup stuff, and was 2nd in zone 12 in Eq.

Rebecca and Clementine "Clem" 17 yr old bay QH/TB mare.

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
    http://www.virtue.nu/pirateer/home.html
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Dude! I'm actualy not burried in the bottom of this post like I usualy get [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Sorry, small things excite me.

Lets see....I'm 20 (I'll be 21 in 2 days 2 hours and 17 minutes....can you tell that I'm counting?), and a college Senior from the good ol' state of Indiana (where there is more than corn). I'm a European History major, with a Russian Studies/Russian Language minor (I'm not weird, I'm eclectic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ).

Due to school, I'm currently horseless. However, I spend the summers riding and playing at a wonderful pony barn in FL. I concitter all of the critters down there mine, since they've been part of my life for two years. And hopefuly, by the end of the year I'll have a fabulously successful job doing something that will pay enough for me to bring one of "my" ponies up to IN to be with me full time.

So, that's about it. Now it's time for me to return to my regularly scheduled program that includes reading an exceptionaly dull text book about the history of England before the 5th century. Aren't you jealous??

Ok, well I didn't read the previous threads, but I think I get the idea...

My name is Megan (I feel like I'm in AA here). Let's see, I live in South Carolina and I'm a junior in highschool...I'm homeschooling this year, which I've never done before but its ok so far. I show my horse Rockford in the younger large juniors and big eq. He's a 7 yr old bay 17.1h Hanoverian. He's like a big dog- the sweetest horse I've ever met! I'm also showing a horse in the children's jumpers named Bring On Da Funk, LOL. 'Funky' is also a 7 yr old bay gelding, and he's a lotta fun!

Well, that's about all you guys need to know about me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(edited cause, when reading the old threads, I realized that I had not bragged on my horse as much as everybody else [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] j/k j/k)

[This message was edited by Rockford on Aug. 27, 2001 at 09:36 PM.]
    -Megan

Hmmm let's see. My name's Erin (hah hah, no way! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ), I'm 16, and I live in north central florida (land of the giant grasshoppers). I hate where I live and want to move to NC or the U.K. or Montana!

I have 3 horses but I'm not really riding right now. I am a junior in high school and I got an A on my social studies quiz today. Just thought I'd share that.

More info can be found at my website: www.virtue.nu/sugabebe/index.htm

~*~
    See What Mood I'm In at iMood.com!
    To be is to do (Aristotle)
    To do is to be (Plato)
    Do be do be do (Sinatra)

but, I love these threads.

I'm 53 - so am undoubtedly one of the olders on this forum. I got into riding late, mid-thirties, and have kicked myself I don't know how many times for waiting so long. I work at a company that makes equipment for hospitals, and have worked there for 25 years. I like it most of the time, but then there are days!!!

I have two horses, both retired.

Promise (Guilt Trip) is the first horse I ever bought. She is 18 now, and I have had her since she was four. She is a TB, and a kinder and more loving animal you will never meet. She cracked her pelvis when she was 5 and didn't heal well, so she has been a pasture ornament ever since.

Stormy (Red Storm)is 26 now and retired because he has navicular syndrome and recurrent seedy toe. He is a Polish Warmblood, and is a big clown. He has done many things in his life, from high jumpers, to hunters, and, when he came to me, he did a very credible of hauling me around at the lower levels of dressage.

I also have two cats - Becky and Marissa. They are two calico ladies who are the loves of my life. I got them from Silly Mommy, and I include her in my prayers every night for giving me such wonderful company.

Well, that's me, what about you?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hello. My name is Lilly and I'm addicted to the COTH. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyways, I have a bay, 10 year old, 16.3h TB gelding named Pete, or Wishful Thinking. I've been doing a lot of wishful thinking lately-maybe I should change his name? LOL! I started riding when I was 5, but have loved horses since the day I was born. I even trained my dog (Ellie May, a yellow lab) to jump when my parents said that I wasn't old enough for a pony.

I got my first pony when I was 10. His name was Domino and he was a brown and white pinto large gelding who was totally incapable of doing lead changes. I did him in Young Entry and then Short Stirrup until I outgrew him and got my horse, Ben. Ben was an appendix QH gelding, 15 years old and the perfect horse to move from a pony onto. He was calm and sweet, and a total confidence builder-until he fractured his hock and was never really sound again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] So, I traded him back to my trainer and got my darling Petey boy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm a sophomore in highschool and I live in Raleigh, NC even though I'll be going to school (starting Tuesday) in Alexandria, VA.

I show mostly on the C circuit in the 3'3 Junior/Amateur Hunters. When I make my occaisional venture to an A show, I do the Younger Childrens...Hopefully I will be moving up to the Large Juniors soon-If I can figure out what is going on with my horse... Ugh! I also do a little bit of equitation when I get the chance-but mostly little stuff like 12-14, the State Line, and a few local medals.

I'm going to be a doctor when I grow up and have the only hunter farm in Wyoming. I plan on being the next Dr. Quinn type and marrying my cowboy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I plan on going to Indio in the winter and heading down to Lake Tahoe for the HITS series down there. Hunters in Wyoming is possible-although the cowboy thinks I should try barrel racin! LOL!

I LOVE Tim Mcgraw-and pretty much all country music. Its good stuff! I also play soccer.

Well, thats about it y'all... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

"And sometimes I don't know why this old world can't leave well enough alone" ~Tim Mcgraw

Howdy, my name's Rachel, I have one horse--the notorious Big Whitey, aka Sam-- that I showed in the AA's. I love him more than anything in the world; unfortunately he's in Va with my mom while I rot in graduate school in Indiana. I got a B.S. in Animal Sciences at Va Tech (Hokies rule, Cavaliers suck!) and am working on a PhD in reproductive physiology/developmental biology at Purdue. Right now I'm not really showing since grad school has taken over my life like a giant, blood-sucking amoeba, but I'm riding with a couple of great trainers up here and am getting to ride some fun ponies, so I can't complain too much I guess. I have two kitties, the Dumpster Diva and Spike, who are charming and maniacal in about equal proportions.

Lovely to meet y'all.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I'm 42, married, no kids. I started riding at age 11 and Louise, I used to kick myself for not starting sooner! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] After facing economic facts, I became an instructor/trainer for several years, held an 'r' for several years and have now been a braider for even MORE years!

Midge is a ten year old 15.2 ch TB mare I purchased this spring after 13 years out of the tack. I feel like an alcoholic who has fallen off the wagon. Midge raced for six years, had a baby, lost a baby and is now attempting life as a hunter. I'll let you know...

I also have two Corgis and a Siberian Husky who was a rescue off the side of the road.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louise:

I'm 53 - so am undoubtedly one of the olders on this forum.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Merry! Someone's older than YOU!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Said as only a YOUNGER sister can say it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Let's see ... my "real" name is Jill and I'm an editor at a "major metropolitan newspaper." Merry and I have been "into" horses since forever; we raised, started and sold warmbloods for years after our junior years, but now that we've reached that certain age, we're down to the keepers. Merry tends to show hunters and eq; I tend to do the jumpers -- which is a good thing, because even after all these years, we are still quite competitive with each other. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] (Though I will admit, Merry is and always has been the better rider.) Thanks to our QHSM ("Queen of the Horse Show Moms") and our long-suffering father, we have our own small place.

My screen name is an homage to my junior/young amateur horse who became the first resident of our ranchette and lived out his days there. A better friend a teenager never had. I still miss him terribly. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I've "met" a lot of wonderful people here on this BB. Here's to meeting many more!

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Hi all! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My name is Natalie, and I'm a 16 year old girl who lives in MD. I will be a junior in high school when I go back next week [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . I don't have a horse, but I usually get to lease. If not, I can usually beg a ride. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'm not showing right now....might go back to the local unrateds next season. I have a beagle named Goldie and a kitten named Sydney. I guess that's it....not much to tell. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

My name is Courtney and I'm 31. (Yikes!!! Where has the time gone??) I'm married and my husband and I have a small farm in central Virginia...the coolest place to live if you have horses.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, I'm a police officer by night and an equestrian by day. I have 2 horses right now. A 4 year old Dutch WB/TB cross named Caleb and a 7 year old QH named Jax. I just started showing Caleb this summer and by his 3rd show he was winning his first ribbons. I'm so proud. He's my A/O prospect and eventually my Working prospect. Jax is what I call my boy-toy. He's my low level hunter and a solid 3'0"-3'3" horse. I'm planning on doing some adult equitation with him.

I've been a relatively active poster here for over a year and am the QUEEN of killing threads! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Don't know how I do it, but I do! Sorry Erin, not trying to bring up an old thread but.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I love meeting people from this BB and have already met some really cool folks.

Disclaimer: I only WORK for UVa....I'm not a student NOR a fan!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~Courtney~
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

Here we go!

My name is Amanda, I'm 18 years old, and own a 13 year old TB gelding. He did some jumpers before I got him, at one point way back in the day he was a racehorse, and I'm beginning to think he might have actually evented (if theres water around, he'll go out of his way to walk through it). I'm a hunter/eq rider turned jumper rider turned eventer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I'm just getting into eventing and I'm leaving TX in about a week, week and a half to be a working student for Natalie Compton (now Hollis) in Sykesville, MD at Waters Edge Farm . I know my horse will do the stadium part and so far he's been VERY enthusiastic about every kind of xc jump I've been brave enough to point him at (including absolutely no hesitation going up and down a bank... what a good boy!). Its just that darned dressage. No one told my horse that he can canter. He knows walk, trot, gallop. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hmm... thats about it that I can think of... here's a pic of my boy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-Amanda

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable."

another pic of my boy. I can't help it, he's my first horse, I love him!

-Amanda

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable."

Hey everyone-
    My name is Jen, 25 yrs old, married (no kids unless you count the furry kind). I live in Central Florida. I ride with Marylu Gallagher at Ridge Point Training Center.

As of this time I am HORSELESS, but NOT PONYLESS LOL. I own a small hunter pony who takes all of my money. Hate to see what happens when I get a horse, and I start to show myself [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] You can all see my pony here : http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/Ridgepo...chasketch.html

I am fairly new here, but I am having a great time!!!

Jen
    hunterjumperz@aol.com
    www.angelfire.com/fl4/Ridgepoint
    www.FLSportHorse.com - Free Classifieds for Florida Horses & Ponies.
    Ridge Point Stables - Hunter/Jumper show barn in Central Florida
    http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/p.../HunterJumperz

Thought I'd throw a little intrigue into the mix... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

35, SAHM of three, all of whom will be abandoning her come September; even my lovely Last Emperor, aka Sumo Toddler, is venturing off to Kindergarten next week, leaving me to roam about a house without children, musing to myself, 'damn, if I could drive, I'd be riding right now'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Thankfully, my 16 mos. old black Lab will remain at home to lick my toes and beg for treats.

Worked for a decade in the entertainment industry; started to ride with my husband, "Hans", and then-6-year-old daughter, at 30, at a lousy barn in Oakville, Ontario. Infected by the horsey bug from the get-go and our interests remain (as owner, hehe, not a rider) in jumpers.

Am mostly a fearful rider who, please, please, please, schedule permitting, attempts to combat the fears by climbing aboard a lovely TB jumper who indulges my nonsensical fears.

Current Life Contemplations include kicking the nicotine habit and a return to the Working World so that I may pee in peace.

My name is Laurie (obviously [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). I'm 49 and I write mystery novels.

I rode a great deal as a child but had to stop when I went to college (no money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ). Due to various circumstances, I didn't get to start riding again until three years ago when I got a palomino Welsh Pony. I have since progressed to a young, green TB mare named Tess. We're currently showing in Long Stirrup in the Georgia local circuit.

My turn! I'm Michelle, I'm 31, married to a firefighter, and live in the greater Los Angeles area. I started riding in my sophomore year at UCLA with a trainer who let me groom in exchange for lessons....wow...that was 13 years ago!!! My then boyfriend, now husband, half leased a horse for me for a month for Christmas and the rest is history! Now I have a TB jumper named Cypress and we do the AA jumpers, and have the most fun when we get to go on the grass (a luxury here in So.CA).

During the day I slave away as a civil engineer among dorky men to pay for my riding habit, which seems to keep getting worse!!!

I have loads of pics on my website at http://members.aol.com/dilberta99/dilberta.html

LaurieB and HunterJumperz-Y'all both have the cutest horses/ponies! I want them both! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"And sometimes I don't know why this old world can't leave well enough alone" ~Tim Mcgraw

Hey! My name is Karen and I am 18 and just beginning college this fall. I come from Northern Virginia, but right now at school I am more out towards West Virginia. I have a 15 year old TB Gelding "Murphy" who, back in March, decieded he wanted the year off so he hurt himself. While he might not be the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes, he is my baby and there is no possible way I could live without him right now. He lives about 20 min away from school, so I drive out everyday to see him and ride him because he is just beginning his recovery. Murphy and I event together. We did novice and training last year and kicked some serious butt. I was going to move up to Prelim last spring, but as I said before Murphy had other plans. Over the summer I was a working student for my instuctor, and since my horse lives at her place, I hope to work there a bit when I am at school. This fall I am going to try to take a sale horse around training level. I say try because I have been having some confidence issues over the summer that devoped because my horse had been off and I had nothing to ride. Well, thats me in a nuttshell, just one more thing....

Cool Beans!!!
    (I love saying that)

No locker room speeches. No playbooks. No contracts or free agents. Not even a word spoken between teammates. Doesn't that make it the greatest of all team sports?
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.