The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Default Fearless -- Buzz and Big

Through my personal networking efforts over the last couple of days, Fearless Buzz has a new home and will ship out in the next couple of days as soon as shipping arrangements can be finalized. Really surprised to see SEPowell saying she is the contact person for the horse, since his new person dealt directly with his trainer and me, and this was all worked out before SEPowell's post. This wonderful person who stepped up for Buzz also is taking Barbarules, another horse in urgent need.

As for the other Fearless, there is a major back story on Big Fearless, and lots of issues. The volunteers of Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds Trainer Listings know the whole story and have been in touch with his breeder, his former trainers, his former exercise rider, and the vet who did a PPE on him last week (did not pass). Due to the issues, and the loveliness of this horse despite the issues, we at Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds have been working feverishly on an adoption/retirement facility and his breeders are working with us on it -- but first we have to wrest the horse away from the people who have him before they whisk him off to the netherworld, and then we have to get him gelded, which we already have a donor for. Saving this horse's life has become a big mission for us and we have four people working very hard at it.
    If someone is seriously interested in him and would like to know more about this issues, please PM me. But there is almost no time for this horse. We have someone going to the track tonight to see if he is even still there after he trailed the field in a race today.
    If someone is in a position to get to the track at the crack of dawn tomorrow and get the horse and shelter him while we work out the other arrangements, then bless you and let me know right away!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Cherokee John caught my eye...I think with some more weight and a letdown off the horsey crack, he'd be a gorgeous sporthorse....and at $1k, if he passes a PPE, he's a steal!
    And we measured him when taking his listing this past Saturday, and he is actually 16.1 as stated in his Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds listing, not the 15.3 that is stated on the pro-boards description. I hope the fact that he is bigger than he looks will entice more people -- he is a lovely horse!
    I mention this because I was trying to interest someone in coming to look at him on Sunday and she refused to even consider him because he was listed on one site as 15.3, and she wanted 16 h or larger.

And speaking of lovely chestnuts, it is indeed true that the wonderful Yukon Gold Rush is in urgent need of a home. He is a durable, sound, sweet horse who has run his heart out and is still clean legged and is a very nice mover and very quiet. Time is running out fo rhim and he is so nice! Please put your age and color preferences aside and step up for him! Call Johnny's number listed on his write up on our website of FB page; call SEPowell, just call!
    Another very pretty and oh so sweet chestnut guy who is in urgent need is Terrox. A hopeful home that was potentially lined up for him may not be able to take him because the stall they hoped would open up today did not. We felt his ankles on Saturday -- tight and cold. We watched him jog -- cute and sound.
    Find us on Facebook:

Big time jingles for Big Fearless. Not only is he handsome-he has such a kind eye! I'm probably too far away to do more than jingle and enable, but if anyone needs that then let me know and I'll do anything I can! I'd count myself lucky to have even a pasture ornament like him if he's as sweet as his expression implies (note: NOT saying he's destined for ornament status-I have no knowledge of the issues)
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

I would have been all over Big Fearless had I not read the above . Wish I was closer to help out until he finds the situation he needs. I don't know the protocol on this forum-are people to share the negative things they might find out about a horse?? Or are those things kept quiet...?
    Im trying not to be deterred. There are a few other horses that caught my eye. I really like Cherokee John and emailed his trainer but haven't gotten a response-I'll try calling tomorrow. Dakota Roadhouse, Empire Express, ice theater??

Just to clarify, the state vet and Ilmar contacted me yesterday about Yukon and Fearless Buzz and I simply followed their directions. I spoke with both directly and have taken steps to get both horses placed now. It's really important to collaborate and communicate now so no one is disappointed. Why don't you email me the details of his departure.

Big Fearless has a wind problem but is otherwise sound. The video I took yesterday shows an exceptional mover. He raced today and was very slow so my hunch is he'll move as well tomorrow as he did yesterday. To race today means he had to be bute free for 36 hours prior to racing and that means the video was taken with him bute free. Many people are interested in him and I suspect he'll have a home by the time his trainer leaves for Belmont. Gelding him has already been discussed.

Yesterday Christine and I established the height of 15.3 for Cherokee John. Are you sure you measured him on level ground?

Western Deed is also very appealing to my eye.

Ice Theater is sold. Empire Express is gorgeous and still available. Dakota Roadhouse also looks really nice but I have not seen him in person. Cherokee John is really lovely and athletic looking, however big he is -- measuring is always imprecise. My only point was not to pass up looking at him because someone thinks he is "too small". Hope you get him or another one! Try texting Christy -- she is pretty quick to respond to those -- but she is asleep by now!
    As far as sharing physical issues we know about a horse based on a failed PPE, we prefer to do so in private messages. The people of Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds Trainer Listings will never represent as sound a horse that we know has failed a PPE. We care very much about helping to make appropriate matches. Let's just say that my knowledge of Biggie's issues is based on a PPE, a conversation with the vet, a conversation with his former exercise rider about the degree of the roaring, a conversation with the person who had him as a 3 yo in NY about why he was off for over a year, and a conversation with two people who share his shed row and have observed his condition for several days after each race! In other words it is highly informed knowledge.
    Based on this knowledge I think the horse would be fine for pleasure or trail riding, or possibly for low level dressage. He absolutely would not be appropriate for eventing or for the H/J arena which is what he was being vetted for, as much as it breaks my heart to say that given his other attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by Amryln3 View Post
    I would have been all over Big Fearless had I not read the above . Wish I was closer to help out until he finds the situation he needs. I don't know the protocol on this forum-are people to share the negative things they might find out about a horse?? Or are those things kept quiet...?
    Im trying not to be deterred. There are a few other horses that caught my eye. I really like Cherokee John and emailed his trainer but haven't gotten a response-I'll try calling tomorrow. Dakota Roadhouse, Empire Express, ice theater??
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Western Deed is also very appealing to my eye.
    Oh please someone step up for Western Deed! He is a very handsome horse, and a total sweetheart. He has an old tendon injury -- is riding sound on it but not racing sound, in the sense that Ralph told me it started getting warm when he tried to put him back in training and he does not want to risk racing him again and having something happen that would leave him unsound for another career. Wish more trainers were like that! Ralph is desperate to find him a home. He stopped me a week or so ago and siad he might have to put him down if he cannot find a home by the time the stable area closes since he does not have room on his farm for a horse like him who cannot breed and who can no longer race, when he has to bring the rachorses there to overwinter. He was surely trying to tug my heartstrings, because he loves the horse and clearly wants him to find a good home.
    Find us on Facebook:

Hi I have a question about the different websites that the FLFs are listed on. There is the proboards site, the fingerlakesfineststbs.com, and two facebook pages. I see horses that are on the proboards site that aren't on the other and the two facebook pages have some differences also. Then there is the FLTAP website. I keep my eyes on the horses (wishing I could take one in) but with time running out, where is the best place to go to get the most up to date list on who is available?
    Five Star Tack

There are two groups of volunteers who visit the track and post pictures and descriptions. Theses horses are available directly from the trainers/owners listed. They are not in competition, they are trying to network these horses to the largest possible pool of potential buyers. The FLTAP is an adoption program that is actually at the track. Finger Lakes was the first track to have such a program on site. There you can go and look, submit an adoption application for approval etc. If you go to their site, you can see the agreement for yourself and decide if that works for you. The other two sites are sale horses. You look, vet, buy and transport the horse in coordination with the trainer. Once you purchase the horse, it is yours free and clear. Hope that helps.

1 members found this post helpful.

Also, one last plug for the evening...No one still has taken Florida Quaker? What a sound durable mare, with connections that truly care about her. She has the often talked about, not so often seen, look of eagles. There is no better partner for riding than a really good and honest mare.

Is Song for Pupcake still available? There's something about her I really like!

Default Ride for horse

[I am looking to ship a horse to Mass. Can someone give me the name of a shipper..

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Big Fearless has a wind problem but is otherwise sound. The video I took yesterday shows an exceptional mover. He raced today and was very slow so my hunch is he'll move as well tomorrow as he did yesterday. To race today means he had to be bute free for 36 hours prior to racing and that means the video was taken with him bute free. Many people are interested in him and I suspect he'll have a home by the time his trainer leaves for Belmont. Gelding him has already been discussed.
    Jusy wanted to add some thoughts on Big Fearless:

Sound to the eye does not reflect brewing problems so please have any horse you buy from FL vetted. At least have their joints flexed and if there are any questions xray them. In most cases, a big horse like this needs to mature before his joints can support the kind of pounding that comes with race training and racing, so if I were buying him that's where my focus would be.

Carasmom, Song for Pupcake's owner has decided to keep her.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Let's just say that my knowledge of Biggie's issues is based on a PPE, a conversation with the vet, a conversation with his former exercise rider about the degree of the roaring, a conversation with the person who had him as a 3 yo in NY about why he was off for over a year, and a conversation with two people who share his shed row and have observed his condition for several days after each race! In other words it is highly informed knowledge.
    Based on this knowledge I think the horse would be fine for pleasure or trail riding, or possibly for low level dressage. He absolutely would not be appropriate for eventing or for the H/J arena which is what he was being vetted for, as much as it breaks my heart to say that given his other attributes.
    Thank you, very constructive post.

Carasmom, Song for Pupcake's owner has decided to keep her.
    The two I have inquired about are both being kept...dang...any ideas... I want a TB show hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by carasmom View Post
    The two I have inquired about are both being kept...dang...any ideas... I want a TB show hunter.
    Milc Kids is at my house now and is being sold through me. Her price has been drastically reduced because she has tendon sheath enlargements over her hocks. When she was a two year old she had tendon issues which were resolved but left enlarged tendon sheaths or windpuffs. She went on to race and was a successful race horse.

She's one of those mares who makes people who love mares go back for more. I have ridden her and love her. She's serious about her job and wants to figure out what you're asking. She's also bold, just a really good citizen. At this point her owner just wants her to have a great home. I have the responsibility of managing her sale and as I said before she's now at my farm.

While we're at it, Cashman really needs a home by Friday. He's a nice horse. And please don't forget Dazzling Derek!

While we're at it, Cashman really needs a home by Friday. He's a nice horse. And please don't forget Dazzling Derek!
    Thanks Suzanne. In case anybody is interested, this is Dazzling Derek's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDq4I8SRTGA He has one of the nicest canters and tried really hard. He was so proud and happy after our ride. It's a lot to ask of a horse whose only ever been race trained to go out into the middle of a big field all alone and behave like a riding horse. It's true, he really does want to be important. Someone thought a lot of him early in his career, as he ran in stakes races as a two year old.

And this poor girl has been in the listings for over a year now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMK4El32mpY. January Baby is so quiet and well mannered that I fear she's often overlooked. I know everyone wants a big, fancy gelding but I hope she finds someone because she is such a dependable and fun ride.

Last but not least, my personal favorite Dancing Robbins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFrZAoCCAFo He is such a kind and loving horse with soulful eyes. I'll admit that I was a bit apprehensive about getting on him because he's been known to run off after races. But, he's another one that tried very hard for me and there was no running off. He's also a very smooth ride. He's listed for $1500 but that is very negotiable as are most of the prices this time of year.