The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Default I'm in good company it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymes W/Orange View Post
    (I don't even want to say what I keep reading his name as )
    whew! Glad to know I am not the only one that did a double take when I first read that name...

FF

Quote Originally Posted by Friskyflea View Post
    whew! Glad to know I am not the only one that did a double take when I first read that name...

FF
    I wasn't before, but now...thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    I was particularly impressed with the quality and potential of the horses we saw this past weekend, who are all up on the Finger Lakes Finest website with videos as well.

For those of you who lusted after Adirondack Dew, but didn't jump quickly enough, his female equivalent is there for the taking, at a fraction of AD's price. Valuable Friend reminded me SOOO much of Adirondack Dew -- just as pretty and flashy a white faced chestnut, but her white spots are smaller; beautiful conformation, very nice mover, less racing wear and tear on her than AD. She looks like she could be a fantastic show hunter prospect. And her price may just make her the bargain of the season. Why is her price so low? She is just with a trainer who prefers to have only higher class more successful racers in his barn, and after she broke her maiden at the lowest claiming level, she is showing that it willl take her a while to win at the next level of conditions. So he wants her to go, soon.
    Here is her listing page: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/valuable-friend/
    What a cutie! I've been staying away from the listings, as I do every year, because there is always a horse or two that just seems to call to me....and low and behold, I look, and see this gal!!! 500 dollars is a great price....I have acquired 6 horses throughout the years, sight unseen, and always have had great luck.....that said, I wouldn`t hesitate to snap this girl up if I were in the market.......someone grab her quick, I have a strong feeling you won`t be disappointed.
    And woohoo for Liberty, he has been on my mind...glad he found a home.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Default Pictures are up

Write ups will follow shortly. There are several grays that are posted, and the bays are not anything to sneeze at either.

Pretty Victory - talk about a name that is an understatement.

Be back soon with more information.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Default Amazing group of new horses!

For the second weekend in a row, I was just blown away by the looks, quality, and potential of horses we saw at Finger Lakes. And what a busy two Saturdays it has been, with 20 horses newly listed between the two days. It is getting to be that time of the year, when many wonderful horses become available -- and need to find homes before mid-December.

Of the newly listed group, Next Top Model is just so darn beautiful that you will see why she deserves her name. Dark grey with a silver tail, legs clean as a whistle, and lovely movement.

And Pretty Victory and Here Comes Foxy -- OMG, what looks, presence, movement, and huge potential. I was seen wiping drool off my face several times on Saturday!

But I want to put in a special bump for the wonderful older war horses we listed on Saturday: Neverabettercity and Wonforthegoodguys and Rock On Billy and "Donda." They have been sound durable and good race horses, and they are gorgeous, dignified, and nice movers. If ever a group of horses deserved great new homes, it is these guys.
    It has been my experience that when a horse holds up and stays sound for several years of racing and many starts, and is still clean legged and happy with life, it means they are going to be very durable and it also means they are mentally mature, intelligent, well balanced good movers, who are light and not too hard on themselves. Usually, nothing fazes them at all, and they relish having a new job to do. All 3 of my Finests had more than 40 starts -- and all came off the track clean legged and sound. And all are wonderful horses!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

I got Lucky as a seven-year-old with 64 starts, and while's he's got some arthritis as one would expect (so do I at 34), he's the most level-headed horse you could ask for. Any horse that lasts that long on the track is going to NEED a good brain to do it.

(I wonder if I can convince my Dad I NEED a Broad Brush grandson. Showed my mom the link and she said "At least he's gray.")

I love Next Top Model. If only....
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Default Good thing we are not visiting dating sites

Seriously, if we were discussing a dating site the way we do horses, we would be red flagged as true "wacko's". I'm not in the horse market either, but the window shopping lately is amazing.

Foxy is a real looker http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/here-comes-foxy/, but the way Risky Gamble http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/risky-gamble/ is put together really appeals to me. Her trainer states in her listing that she has an ankle chip. Not to say this is the same thing, but my now-old-man Fred had an ankle chip show up in his PPE. The vet said if it ever was a problem, I could get it removed. Of his long list of problems, that never was a problem and he evented and jumped on it without a hiccup.

Though to be honest, if the OTTB fairy dropped any of the last twelve posted, I'd probably be pretty happy (of course, the fairy needs to drop off time and money as well. - Maybe that will be the name for my next horse "time and money".)
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Risky Gamble definitely wins the cute face award. Who wouldn't want that peeking over a stall door to greet you?

And Wonforthegoodguys is just a classy, handsome horse. You volunteers obviously have will powers of steel!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Last October when I started looking at horses to buy, Wonforthegoodguys was who I wanted but his last trainer wanted to race him till the end of the season before he'd negotiate. At that point I went with another of my top 3 picks and got Oliver as I felt like if I hadn't acted soon, he'd be gone (Firstfromthebox was number 3, if you are wondering ). When Wonforthegoodguys was listed as sold I tried to see if anyone on last years thread knew who bought him, but low and behold the old warhorse was sold to a new trainer (and back in my virtual stable he went). His first race was a success and since then I've gotten a bunch of emails for 5ths, 6ths, etc so I had a feeling it wouldn't be long before he was listed again. When I met him at the track last year he was getting his feet done outside, just chillin'. We got to watch him jog after the farrier was done with his fronts, and he just jogged away and jogged right back to his spot next to the guys truck, no big deal. He got some peppermints (from us) and he was just the most relaxed, easy-going guy. If I could afford a third, I would get him in a heart beat. He's just a tall, big-boned guy with the sweetest personality. Some one get him and let me come visit
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Default More happy new home news!

After just a week on our listings, the gorgeous You're Ready Now has arrived safely in his great new home! He was purchased by someone who I have been communicating with for the whole week, enabling, answering questions, helping with shopping and shipping arrangements, etc. YRN will be providing company to her beloved old OTTB.

One "Ready" down -- one to go. Now we just need to get that other beautiful and classy black "Ready" guy -- Relatively Ready -- his great new forever home.

On Saturday, Behracuda's trainer also told us he has found a new home, and will ship there soon.

And a serious shopper is coming with me on Saturday..... Who wants to join us and win the "Foxy Model" competition?
    Find us on Facebook:

omg - See Me Smoke is SMOKING - what a handsome boy
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    omg - See Me Smoke is SMOKING - what a handsome boy
    Gee, I had you pegged for drooling over one of the gorgeous grays we have listed! Not just because of your name, but also because I remember how you coveted Waylady last year, but couldn't quite land her. Next Top Model reminds me of Waylady.

Your namesake grays aside, you do indeed have great taste -- Smoke is one handsome hunk of horse!
    Find us on Facebook:

no on Top Model - Risky Gamble has a much better topline to my eye

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Risky Gamble is just lovely. Must stop looking...
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    Risky Gamble is just lovely. Must stop looking...
    The track vet told me that her ankle chip is the kind that can be surgically removed, and that with surgery and proper rehab time she should be fine for a new career. Dressage would suit her!
    She doesn't have much time to find someone who will step up for her, however. I am so hoping someone will, because it is so obvious that she is a really lovely and intelligent mare.
    Find us on Facebook:

She doesn't have much time to find someone who will step up for her, however. I am so hoping someone will, because it is so obvious that she is a really lovely and intelligent mare.
    What are you saying, she doesn't have much time? Will the trainer just unload her?
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

The track vet told me that her ankle chip is the kind that can be surgically removed, and that with surgery and proper rehab time she should be fine for a new career. Dressage would suit her!

have you had a chance to see her movement?

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    have you had a chance to see her movement?
    We saw her walk but we did not ask for a jog because she was sore on the ankle -- only three days past the race.
    And the reason I say Risky Gamble does not have much time to find a home is because of the economic realities of the track. Trainers are required to average 10 starts per stall in order to get stalls for the next racing season, which means they need sound racing horses in the stalls. If a horse cannot race anymore and is owned by someone who does not have the resources to keep them on a farm, they need to go somewhere, soon. Then there is the added factor of the looming end of the racing season and the closure of the stable area in a little over two months.
    Risky is with people who do not have the means to do the chip removal surgery and keep her somewhere while she rests and rehabs. They certainly are not in a position to pay to keep her somewhere over the winter since she will not be racing any more. They have said they will try to find a home, but if that doesn't happen in a relatively short period of time they will put her down. I don't know how much time she has -- we can probably persuade them to give her a month or so if we think there is a realistic prospect out there who just needs some time to get things arranged. They are good people -- I have a horse from them -- and they really do want to try to find her a good new home.
    Find us on Facebook:

I like Mama Gina a lot!