The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Default A Home for Liberty's Thunder!!!!

I am doing one of the happiest happy dances I have ever done right now. A week's efforts of posting, networking, using my contacts in the TB rescue/adoption world, have hit pay dirt. Akindale TB Rescue has agreed to take Liberty's Thunder, give him rest for his pulled muscle to heal, and then start retraining him and find him a great adoption home as a pleasure and trail horse.
    This is the best of all possible landings for this sweet horse -- a highly reputable, fully certified tax exempt not-for-profit TB rehab/adoption/retirement facility connected with a major breeding farm that has stepped up for several Finger Lakes horses in the past.
    I have given the good news to the horse's trainer, and he is ecstatic.
    Now we just have to arrange shipping to Dutchess County NY, which should be much less of a challenge than finding him a home in the first place. Looks like we have just a wee bit more than taking new listings to do tomorrow morning at the track!
    Huge thanks also go to the track vet who has been working with me on this, and to Diana Pikulski of the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation, who put in a good word for Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds and me to Erin at Akindale, and of course, the biggest hats off of all to Erin and Akindale.
    This for me is one of the Finest moments of my two years' experience with Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds -- an organization that has once again proven it will go the extra mile to help the horses.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

OH WOW

Communicator is just THE MOST handsome, giant hunk of horse I've seen in a long time! And so calm, just meandering along next to his person on a loose lead!

Someone scoop him up and get him in the show ring!
    Well isn't this dandy?

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    I am doing one of the happiest happy dances I have ever done right now. A week's efforts of posting, networking, using my contacts in the TB rescue/adoption world, have hit pay dirt. Akindale TB Rescue has agreed to take Liberty's Thunder, give him rest for his pulled muscle to heal, and then start retraining him and find him a great adoption home as a pleasure and trail horse.
    This is the best of all possible landings for this sweet horse -- a highly reputable, fully certified tax exempt not-for-profit TB rehab/adoption/retirement facility connected with a major breeding farm that has stepped up for several Finger Lakes horses in the past.
    Yay! I was just thinking about him today and wondering if anything had worked out.

great job BC!
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

HOORAY FOR LIBERTY!!! Well done!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

so happy and so thankful to so many people for Liberty's future!! I was thinking of him as the deadline approached... so so relieved. Thank you to all involved... here's to a good future for this lovely horse.

Default More ponies and yeah for Liberty's Thunder

I am so happy for Liberty's Thunder and so grateful for the people who are willing to just keep working and networking to help find a soft landing for some of these horses.

There are some new lovely horses that I just finished posting. We have one that is off (and we are clearly disclosing that) but please go watch the video. If that knee is salvageable (and please consult a vet, not us) that is one sweet moving pony. He looks good in the pictures, but the video really shows one very elegant horse.

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/youre-ready-now/

There are grey's, bay's, and chestnuts recently posted, so have fun.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    OH WOW

Communicator is just THE MOST handsome, giant hunk of horse I've seen in a long time! And so calm, just meandering along next to his person on a loose lead!

Someone scoop him up and get him in the show ring!
    Communicator's trainer called me last night to tell me he got a new home within the week!

And news from Adirondack Dew's owner is that AD and his pal jumped out of their huge pasture just because they could

Default Yay for Liberty!

Good work BC! There truly are wonderful people in the horse world!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhymes W/Orange View Post
    I am so happy for Liberty's Thunder and so grateful for the people who are willing to just keep working and networking to help find a soft landing for some of these horses.

There are some new lovely horses that I just finished posting. We have one that is off (and we are clearly disclosing that) but please go watch the video. If that knee is salvageable (and please consult a vet, not us) that is one sweet moving pony. He looks good in the pictures, but the video really shows one very elegant horse.

http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/youre-ready-now/

There are grey's, bay's, and chestnuts recently posted, so have fun.
    Dang! When You're Ready Now is a nice looking animal. I've had experience with this trainer in the past. It's been my experience that he is a good guy. He's a classic example of many of the trainers on the backside at Finger Lakes. He has a very small operation, and he's not rich, far from it. He takes good care of his animals and wants the very best for the horses that are leaving his care. He has even helped out when the horse doesn't belong to him, but to another trainer.

If you like what you see, give this trainer, as well as this horse, a chance. The horse will definitely need a PPE, to see just what is going on with that knee, but, sometimes going that little bit extra carries some pretty great rewards.
    Last edited by Louise; Sep. 18, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Default Liberty arrives safely at new home!

Both the wonderful guy who shipped Liberty's Thunder for us, and Erin at Akindale, have texted me today to confirm that Liberty's Thunder shipped like a gentleman and has arrived safe and sound at his new home. He even had Erin's very cute dog give him a warm welcome to Akindale:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1102781...86443678519986

Dave Bonelli, who did the shipping, says he looks forward to working with us to help more Finger Lakes Finests get to great new homes. We are adding his contact information as a shipper under the "How to Buy" tab on the Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds website. Really great to work with -- keep him in mind for your new Finest!
    Find us on Facebook:

Default Another thumbs up for Dave

Just wanted to second a reccomendation for Dave. He has shipped to me from Finger Lakes to the deep south and was a joy to work with. He even took time to help get the horses settled and to peek in on our other FL residents (and give them scritches). Really went out of his way to get 3 horses here in the middle of winter. We just adore him! FWIW, he also beamed about getting the adorable Itch (who I believe he owned), into such a grand new home.

Default Awesome update!

What a heartening picture of Liberty in his new, posh, digs! And kudos to Dave for his superior service and efforts for future movement of Finests!

For all who are contemplating joining the fold, bear in mind that, as the meet winds down, horses will be moving east and south in numbers, going to tracks in Florida and New York especially. Dave Markgraf makes numerous trips between Finger Lakes and Florida with stops along the way. Athena's Horse Jitney is another excellent shipper who has a warm spot in her heart for these OTTBs.

There are some gorgeous animals the volunteers have tempted us with! Don't forget to look at some of the older listings as well. Tinian Island, for example, who generated much favorable comment, is still biding his time at the track and would love to be your eventing protege!

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Tinian Island, for example, who generated much favorable comment, is still biding his time at the track and would love to be your eventing protege!
    It is definitely time for Tinian to find his person and get to work! He's a horse who's made to work and wants a job!

Anybody want to buy a townhouse in Durham, NC? I'll cut you a deal so DH stops sitting on the fence about adding a FLF to our family I'm working hard to find the balance between reminding and nagging/begging.

There are several that I can't believe haven't been scooped up yet! I know the end of the meet gets hectic for everyone involved with the track, but it is always so fun to check this thread and see all the horses ending up in happy homes!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Default Many Fine Finests looking for homes!

I was particularly impressed with the quality and potential of the horses we saw this past weekend, who are all up on the Finger Lakes Finest website with videos as well.

For those of you who lusted after Adirondack Dew, but didn't jump quickly enough, his female equivalent is there for the taking, at a fraction of AD's price. Valuable Friend reminded me SOOO much of Adirondack Dew -- just as pretty and flashy a white faced chestnut, but her white spots are smaller; beautiful conformation, very nice mover, less racing wear and tear on her than AD. She looks like she could be a fantastic show hunter prospect. And her price may just make her the bargain of the season. Why is her price so low? She is just with a trainer who prefers to have only higher class more successful racers in his barn, and after she broke her maiden at the lowest claiming level, she is showing that it willl take her a while to win at the next level of conditions. So he wants her to go, soon.
    Here is her listing page: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/valuable-friend/

And if you are looking for a gorgeous big grey dressage horse, then go get One turn Eddie! Or if you prefer really beautiful white faced bays who are really nice movers and have great sporting potential, then check out the three stablemates: King Kong Kingdoms, Wayside Park, and Illicit Lover. All really fine Finests indeed.
    It's a good thing I don't have an 8 horse van or 8 open stalls at my barn or an unlmited budget, because I might just have had to take home 8 horses last weekend!
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    It's a good thing I don't have an 8 horse van or 8 open stalls at my barn or an unlmited budget, because I might just have had to take home 8 horses last weekend!
    I don't know how you do it. Illicit Lover just looks ADORABLE.

(I need to stop reading this thread until I'm ready to buy. But it's educational! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. )

Speaking of educational - one of the horses doesn't have a normal looking chain on. It looks like it might be wrapped with tape? Does that make it less 'severe' or just help with rubs on sensitive skinned types? (It's You're Ready Now - http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8319/...e8a5a970_c.jpg )

Quote Originally Posted by kdow View Post
    I don't know how you do it. Illicit Lover just looks ADORABLE.

(Speaking of educational - one of the horses doesn't have a normal looking chain on. It looks like it might be wrapped with tape? Does that make it less 'severe' or just help with rubs on sensitive skinned types? (It's You're Ready Now -[/url] )
    Interesting observation about the wrapped chain. I think it would help with both purposes. Carlos is a very caring kind horseman, who, as he told me, likes to take "precautions" with his horses.

And you are so right about the unbelieveable adorableness of Illicit Lover. A pocket pony if ever there was one. And won't someone have fun telling their co-workers and friends that they have to go now, because their Illicit Lover is waiting for them! For all of us whose spouses and significant others think we spend way too much time with our horses, what could be better than a horse with this name!
    Find us on Facebook:

[/QUOTE]And won't someone have fun telling their co-workers and friends that they have to go now, because their Illicit Lover is waiting for them! For all of us whose spouses and significant others think we spend way too much time with our horses, what could be better than a horse with this name! [/QUOTE]

As if 3/4 of us aren't close to a divorce due to our "horse problem". But boy is he cute.

However, King Kong Kingdom's has both Fappiano and Ribot. Jumping and dressage in those bloodlines. http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/king-kong-kingdoms/. (I don't even want to say what I keep reading his name as )
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Default Lip chains....

Chains on shanks are often wrapped (I use Vetwrap) to soften the portion that is actually on the horse's upper gum line. It offers the control of a lipchain (and, believe me, that sucker is your FRIEND when you take a pumped up TB to the paddock or swimming pool!) without hurting the horse. Of course, not all racers need a lipchain but it's a handy option when handling a monster!

I must say that Rhymes with Orange has a nice bunch of Finests to covet!