The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Buffalo Colleen is the one who asked me for permission to use the photo of Bailey & I for the new website. Looks like Rhymes W/Orange posted about the new website too. So looks like it's the same group.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Its still us. We started the thread this year and last year.

We just created an account for our "official" announcements and whatnot.

Hopefully, the latest batch of write ups will join their photographs this evening. I know there are a couple I would like some more information on for window shopping.

RW/O
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds: The Trainer Listing Service
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    http://www.facebook.com/fingerlakesf...oroughbredsinc.

We are indeed the same group and we are an official not for profit organization -- Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc. and its mission and trainer listing service have not changed. We have always been planning to get a real website rather than relying on pro-boards, and we finally did it! As our website launch post said, we wanted to get new horses up on the new site first, and will keep plugging at getting the already listed horses up as soon as possible.
    Our only change is that one person who had previously been active in the group resigned and no longer participates in our official Trainer Listing service and is no longer covered by our not for profit status, although this person still posts on COTH about listings. The core group for Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, and our official trainer listing service, is: Rhymes w/Orange; Buffalo Colleen, Lucky13, and another person who does not post on COTH. When we post official group announcements and important news we also use the Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds name.
    Same group, same Trainer Listings, same great horses! But a new and improved website!
    Our volunteers who were at the track this weekend showed the new website to trainers, and they loved it. Generated lots of excitement.
    Start spreading the exciting word about the new real website. A happy sign of the growth and stability of our organization.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

And the Finger Lakes trainers' list will continue as it has since I set the site up after Louise retired from listing horses at Finger Lakes.

I invited the Finger Lakes Finest group to list their photos on my site so that the horses and their trainers would have higher visability online. I also encouraged FLF to include their organizations information within each of their lists but they really wanted to develop a new board. So let's welcome them and support their effort to help these horses.

Also, if they would like I can link their site to mine to increase the visability for the horses and trainers they've been photographing.

It's about the horses and doing what serves them best!

Suzanne Powell
    http://http://fingerlakestracklist.proboards.com/
    Last edited by SEPowell; Aug. 27, 2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: fix link

You weren't kidding about having a bunch more to list
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

I ran into Jared who told me to take Adirondack Dew down and then about two minutes later I ran into AD's new mother who is a super eventer. Sooooooo, he'll be going to a great eventing barn where they'll figure out what he can do best! It's so nice to see him in good hands and also staying in the area where hopefully we'll be watching him compete!

And Six Roses Gone finally got the perfect home. It was well worth the wait, according to his trainer. His new owner took him to a show nine days after she got him and the two of them took home a handful of ribbons. Just amazing!

Excess Books, Wolfgang and Wildest Passion all got good homes. Lisa thinks eventing is in Excess Book's future. And finally, lovely Fine Fine got a home before the week was over.

Over the weekend I took my horse Forgotten Cat to a demanding beginner novice event(got him a few years ago when Louise ran the listing service but didn't start him until this year). His dressage improved trememdously, but under the scrutiny of the eyes of a super dressage judge it was deemed very poor! Ah, but them came jumping! He had one green horse moment in stadium and then flew the rest like a pro and then got on cross country and hammered it! It had a table or box or something that was maximun for beginner novice; I think it was 4' at the base, close to 3' at the top and just under 3' high and he flew it like a pro. I was so proud of the old man!

Oh, and by the way, Forgotten Cat is the horse I used to draw the logo for the FLF before I resigned from that group. So around and around we go!

Wow - Nicoletti is now $500. That is such a steal. I bet with some weight he will be absolutely stunning. He has very nice conformation and has such free movement. I bet he will be a fabulous sporthorse. I can picture Phillip Dutton up on him.

Thanks for the info...Since you have a donation page on your website, I am assuming you have your 5013c and are listed on guidestar? Nice to know the horses will have such opportunities to bee seen. There is nothing like a TB.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Thanks for the info...Since you have a donation page on your website, I am assuming you have your 5013c and are listed on guidestar?
    I assume you looked them up and answered your own question before this comment. They've been working on non-profit status for quite some time but the paperwork takes ~6 months. All in good time, it's a freshly released website. And the donation page isn't open yet.
    Last edited by Shannon.Ryan18; Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

There was no reason to get ugly...I dont know why you would call it a remark...Legitimate questions regarding these things should be welcomed...I spend lots of time and money on TB causes, have sat on a board of directors on one, and really really dont appreciate the tone of your reply.I have been a huge fan of these listings since they began, even before the current people have worked on it, back when the Exceller people were working on it, so why dont you rethink your snarky tone.

Sorry I guess I should have said comment instead of remark. And I don't doubt your involvement or love of TBs. I didn't mean anything bad by it.

I rarely post here but have been a volunteer at Finger Lakes Race Track for six years. I started when Louise was working with The Exceller Fund and we took photos and posted them on The Exceller Fund website. Over the past six years, the names have changed but the mission has always remained the same, to assist the trainers with promoting the Finger Lakes Finest thoroughbreds in their move off the track. At no point was the track listing service ever discontinued. When Louise decided to retire, foundationmare, whom many of you know and love from this forum, as well as another volunteer and I, decided to continue the listing and promotion of Finger Lakes horses. We were quickly approached by several other dedicated horsewomen, also members of this forum, who expressed a desire to keep the listing service alive. Together, as a group and with track management's blessings, we decided to formalize the group and form a corporation, in order to preserve the service to trainers without allowing any one person so much control that they could "take their ball and go home". As a temporary measure, we restarted the proboards site and began the planning and work necessary to become a 501c3 as well as a formal corporation. We are now incorporated as Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc. and have submitted the necessary filings to the IRS for final approval of our 501c3. If you go to our new website, www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com, you will see that the donate button is not active, it was put there as a placeholder for future use!

We have, unfortunately, had one member who decided that they were not happy working within the paramaters of a formal group and she has struck out on her own. We know this has caused some confusion, but we are doing our best to keep disruption to a minimum while continuing to provide the best service we can to the thoroughbreds at Finger Lakes Race Track. Thanks for your patience as we go through growing pains once again!
    Proud FLF Thoroughbreds Volunteer Since 2006
    Please visit our website www.fingerlakesfinesttbs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Wow - Nicoletti is now $500. That is such a steal. I bet with some weight he will be absolutely stunning. He has very nice conformation and has such free movement. I bet he will be a fabulous sporthorse. I can picture Phillip Dutton up on him.
    Agree! He is built very much like one of mine who is a great galloper/jumper. I wish I had more space.

Trying not to get too confused... but since your original FB disappeared, can you let us know what happened to the mare you took in as an emergency a few weeks/months ago? How is she doing? Is she still under your care? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Thanks for the info...Since you have a donation page on your website, I am assuming you have your 5013c and are listed on guidestar? Nice to know the horses will have such opportunities to bee seen. There is nothing like a TB.
    For the record, as a not-for-profit lawyer, I can assure you that tax exempt status is RETROACTIVE to the date of incorporation once the 501c3 determination is made (provided you don't wait years to apply).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting people know that you will take donations and that they will be tax deductible once the determination comes through. Organizations that are starting up do this all the time. Even so, I am sure in your perusal of the website you will note that the donate button is not actually active.

It sure does sound like you are trying to play "gotcha!", but the organization is completely legit and operating in a completely normal course of business.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    Trying not to get too confused... but since your original FB disappeared, can you let us know what happened to the mare you took in as an emergency a few weeks/months ago? How is she doing? Is she still under your care? thanks.
    It hasn't disappeared, it just kind of goes away some times for editing...

The mare looks much better!

An official page for FLF is also on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I took in Susie Q this summer when I was president of Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc. I still have her and I'm updating her progress on my new facebook page. She looks beautiful now, but I'm still worried about her suspensory injury. The suspensory has made trememdous progress but it has to improve more. She can sometimes be her own worst enemy because she levitates and lands on it pretty hard, showing tenderness when she does. She first bowed in March, was run back at the end of May which is way too early for a suspensory so of course it blew up again. Time will tell how well she recovers.

She's a wonderful mare. Very sweet and kind, aware of and careful of all my dogs when they visit her. She's very content and visits with my other horses over her doors (she has a front and back door). It's great because she gets to chew on their necks and interact with them even though she's on stall rest.

Thanks so much for your interest in her. Check out her pictures on facebook at the page called Finger Lakes Trainers' List. I also use that page to share information about the horses I list.

One thing I have learned is that there are two sides to every story. Given the number of well meaning folks across the country who have been taken advantage of by less than reputable rescuers, any and all questions should be welcomed. Several years ago, before FLTAP, FLF, or FLTL, there was a "rescuer" on the backside at Finger Lakes who was taking horses and then sending them off to kill. She was successfully prosecuted if memory serves me correctly.

Bottom line--in order for any one group to succeed does not mean that another must fail. There are a lot of nice horses at Finger Lakes, and the more exposure the better. I am sure that everyone up there is in agreement about that, so let's just press on......
    Last edited by BeverlyAStrauss; Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Ok so.... the ProBoards site is run by Suzanne (formerly run by Louise.)

The new site is run by Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds, Inc. which is a separate organization and in the process of becoming a non-profit. Will you guys be taking horses in? Just curious where the donations are going, hope that is a legitimate question, not trying to stir the pot.

The FLTAP still exsists too, no?

Just trying to get this organized in my own head. Especially because the activity on FB confused me. I agree the more horses that get a chance at a new career, the better, however that occurs.

And Suzanne, I am glad you still have Suzie Q.... hope she is doing well.

FWIW, two people I know took home Freudalicious and Ziggy's Island and I'm excited to follow their progress!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

If anyone is interested in Morden we recently purchased a win picture of our own cute little Smooth and Cool and Morden was front and center in second place. He's a good looking guy with legs for days