The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Default oooooooooooolala

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    Aggh, wow! I'm not looking for a $4k show prospect (more like "cheap/free buddy horse") but if I were looking for someone flashy....hubba hubba.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Aggh, wow! I'm not looking for a $4k show prospect (more like "cheap/free buddy horse") but if I were looking for someone flashy....hubba hubba.
    ...$4k seems awfully steep for an ottb...
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    ...$4k seems awfully steep for an ottb...
    If they price them too low, they're putting them on the meat truck, they price them high, they're overcharging...I think that's the bottom claim price at FL so it's what he'd get on a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If they price them too low, they're putting them on the meat truck, they price them high, they're overcharging...I think that's the bottom claim price at FL so it's what he'd get on a claim.
    You can roll your eyes all you want, but nicer horses go for much less than that on CANTER.

To me...that's just a ton of money to spend on a TB that's right off the track...sorry if I offended anyone
    Last edited by To the MAX; Aug. 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    You can roll your eyes all you want, but nicer horses go for much less than that on CANTER.

To me...that's just a ton of money to spend on a TB that's right off the track...sorry if I offended anyone
    -shrug- Then don't spend it. A young, easy to ride, laid back, FLASHY, tall gelding for $4k is exactly the sort of horse a good rider/reseller will scoop up, put 30 days on, take to a show, and easily sell for twice what they paid. I'm sure he'll be gone soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    -shrug- Then don't spend it. A young, easy to ride, laid back, FLASHY, tall gelding for $4k is exactly the sort of horse a good rider/reseller will scoop up, put 30 days on, take to a show, and easily sell for twice what they paid. I'm sure he'll be gone soon.
    I'm obviously not going to, but I didn't think it was against the rules to state my opinion of his pricing on an online forum. I've seen many horses of comparable or better quality go for much less right off the track than this horse is listed for.
    I'm sure he'll go quickly, but I'm also sure that those looking for a resale project could also get a much better chance to make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by jollytrak View Post
    I need to stop looking in these threads...all the flashy chestnuts are so hard to resist! Apollo might not appreciate having a new horse to compete with for attention...lucky that I'm across the country!

I do agree that I would seriously hesitate to drop 4k on him though - in my experience and this market, it would take a lot longer than 30 days to get him to a point to be worth double what you would pay. In my area I can find quite a few comparable horses with much more training for the same price or a little more. He certainly has the potential to be a very valuable horse, though. If only, if only.

I met Adirondack Dew last December and although I don't remember too much, I do remember thinking he was awfully cute.
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

I’ll first start out by saying, I’m sorry. I wasn’t going to give my opinion, but I can’t help it.
    People are trying to help these animals find a good home, and completely switch the job these horses have known. To the trainers, they may be worth more as a race horse than they are planning on receiving if they sold them for a new discipline. Some horses are still racing, still earning money, so trainers may not be as eager to get rid of one, and others may have the stall already planned out, so they want theirs out fast. Volunteers are going to the track and organizing this, we know what a struggle it was to have this available, and some peoples opinion are the prices and making things more difficult.
    If $4,000, is not the price for you, then look at a cheaper horse- there are others listed as well. Some people may be willing to pay the $4,000. It is a posted price. Its not saying the trainer can’t go lower, but they wouldn’t plan on going higher when you show up at the track. This is a way to advertise what’s out there, not criticize what you would want to pay for a horse. Should there be a limit? Any horse over $3,000 should not be advertised? I don’t think so. I think post what’s out there, let people decide.
    I am personally very greatful people are willing to go out there, take pictures, list information, and trainers are willing to work with them to advertize these horses. There are a lot less time consuming ways to “dispose” of ex-racehorses. Personally, I know of two horses I liked very much, that had injuries already, that are now racing in Puerto Rico, and I don’t think very well either.
    I most certainly do NOT want to insult anyone, this is not meant to anyone specifically, this is my opinion but lets work together to find homes for whomever we can, and make this more pleasant for everyone trying to get this accomplished, and the horses.

You can't put a price limit on quality, you can only put one on your budget. I don't currently have 4k to spend but if I did, I would not hesitate to spend it on a quality OTTB with great x rays. There was a mare posted off CANTER in the Eventing forum for 3k, if I had it to spend I would have gone and gotten her that day. You cannot make an average horse into a superb one and those do not come along every day. I consider anything under 2k a bargain and count my blessings.

Recently I posted on the Giveaways about a local (gorgeous) mare who was sold for $1,500 to someone. That person hit hard times and now had an extremely thin, NQR mare who had been truly special. Sorry but I do not blame them for pricing high and I wish that mare had been. She was worth every penny.

Like someone else said, if you think it is high do not buy but I would think they get far less tire kickers and people with no experience with OTTBs or sport horses at that price point.

I'm really not sure I understand the reactions to comments about price - nobody is saying that someone shouldn't buy the horse for that price, or he's a piece of crap that should be shipped off to Mexico yada yada. He appears to be a very nice horse. All I was saying at least was that in my experience, $4k was high. And that I would hesitate to drop that on a horse who was just off the track, who could change dramatically after all the horsey crack is out of his system. Of course, if I were in a position to buy another horse, I'd still go check him out, and heck, maybe I'd decide that he is worth the $4k. I've done it before - I actually just spent $5k on a TB who had only been off the track a few months, and I don't regret it a bit!

I really, really don't understand the issue with commenting on a horse's price. Particularly in the context of a horse's potential resale value. The horse's value rests in what someone will pay, and it seems silly to me that the only people who are allowed to comment on it are the ones going "ooh, what a great price!"

All other comments aside, he's gorgeous, and looks like he could have tons of potential - I hope he gets snapped up into a good home ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    I'm really not sure I understand the reactions to comments about price - nobody is saying that someone shouldn't buy the horse for that price, or he's a piece of crap that should be shipped off to Mexico yada yada.

All other comments aside, he's gorgeous, and looks like he could have tons of potential - I hope he gets snapped up into a good home ASAP.
    I guess I am just not understanding the point of commenting on the price.

That's the price his trainer set for him; as already stated, that's what he'll make in a claiming race. You can call and offer less, or you can decide he's out of your budget.

What good does it do for the horse, and finding him a good home, to comment on his price being too high? (In your opinion.) If someone wants him, they'll pay it.

I'm really not sure I understand the reactions to comments about price
    My point is- I don't want a good thing wrecked because of pricing, that isn't the same for all horses, and isn't necessarily what the horse would be sold for, but I can understand your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    I guess I am just not understanding the point of commenting on the price.

What good does it do for the horse, and finding him a good home, to comment on his price being too high? (In your opinion.) If someone wants him, they'll pay it.
    It's really just someone stating an opinion/thought. An opinion/thought that someone else could factor in when deciding whether to call or not, or could completely disregard. It's not necessarily unfounded. I really don't see the harm in expressing a non-offensive, non-attacking, non-disparaging opinion on a forum. Are we really supposed to withhold from saying anything potentially construed as negative when horses are on the line?

Crap! Im going to CRY! A 17 hand grey gelding!??!? RU KIDDING ME? And Wolfgang, AND Excess Books!?!?!? telling myself- barn is full, my horses still need training, I already have a 3 year old....im too far from the track (not really ) crap this isn't working!

K, this isnt working. * poop is heavy and smells * (stopping on the way home to get a powerball ticket)

I'm in love!! There's a horse listed that shares my name.... Celebrating Sarah. Meant to be? I wish! She might have the cutest face and kindest eye ever. And there's an exclamation mark next to her listing. Oh no. Why do I have to live so far away? Someone scoop her up please!!

SarahSC, she is adorable! You need her!

It's really just someone stating an opinion/thought. An opinion/thought that someone else could factor in when deciding whether to call or not, or could completely disregard. It's not necessarily unfounded. I really don't see the harm in expressing a non-offensive, non-attacking, non-disparaging opinion on a forum. Are we really supposed to withhold from saying anything potentially construed as negative when horses are on the line?
    Thank you! The horse is FOR SALE, posted on a public forum. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to say anything other than how great he looks.
    In this economy, you'd have to be lucky to "get double his price with 30 days training" as someone said. He's cute, I didn't say he wasn't. But, the price came as quite a shock to me, considering that I am currently looking into a horse of the same quality, who is only 4 yrs. old, tall, a nice color...and he's already off the track and can w-t-c and has started jumping. For just a little more than half of this guys price tag.

I doubt me commenting on the price means that this horse will be on the trailer to the slaughterhouse tomorrow.