The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

I am new to FLF, but have been looking for an OTTB prospect for a few months now to re-train as a hunter eventually. My plan is to give the horse several months off from actual work and just build the bond, ground work, etc., before slowly re-training him/her as a hunter-jumper. I recently noticed a horse that is currently at the track that really caught my eye. I've reached out to the trainer/owner and am having a PPE done in the next few days. He does have an old bone chip in his knee, but has been sound and raced just a week ago. Assuming he passes the flexion tests, I will have x-rays pulled for the ankles and knees. Any other info. on this horse and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated. I live in Atlanta, GA and therefore cannot visit him myself. Thanks. http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/raynicks-token/

1 members found this post helpful.

Hi Lexie,
    Thank you so much for considering a Finger Lakes Finest! We took Raynick's Token's photos just this past Satuday, which was the day after his last race. He was a bit ouchy on the knee -- so we didn't get a good sense of his movement -- but his trainer says he is fine in a day or two after a race. Given the regularity of his starts this year we have no reason to doubt that -- and you are wisely having a PPE done.
    I did watch a video of his recent winning race to watch his movement, and I saw a nice fluid gallop and canter, flat kneed and straight in front. His trot also looked nice, with good suspension.
    He is a gorgeous horse, and you can see from one of the photos how much his trainer likes him. I come from a H/J background, and he struck me as an excellent show horse prospect based on looks and temperament, so long as he checks out physically after flexion. If he passes the PPE I know of no reason not to take the plunge. We will keep our fingers crossed for you and Token.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so much for the additional info!

I wanted to contribute a quick update on Heresheis (Izzy), who came home with me near meet end last year. She has been a complete joy. She has become somewhat of an ambassador for war horses - it's hard for people to believe that she spent so long on the track and has transitioned so beautifully to life off of it. She is a true joy!!

Default Another FL Trainer Listing horse on Craig's List

I just spotted Proud Wildcat on Craig's List, listed as free --uh oh! He is a solid bodied flashy bay 3 yo gelding that was listed this past summer on both the Finger Lakes Finest TBs website and the pro-boards trainer listings.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/3459184290.html

I hope someone good who can get him well trained and bring out his excellent potential steps up for him.
    It is disheartening when what initially looks like a good home puts the horses on Craig's List as giveaways so quickly. People get in over their heads or the kids lose interest. But at least this cute horse, who they call "Rajah," looks to be in good condition, or was when the Craig's list photo with green leaves still on the trees was taken.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Proud Wildcat has been on CL since at least the end of October. He wasn't free at that point though, so maybe they just aren't getting calls. Hopefully he will get a new home!
    Last edited by Shannon.Ryan18; Dec. 6, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Typo...oops.
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

I sent a message to Proud Wildcat owners.

Is Teahupoo still available?

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I know you are busy but I am surprised you have not posted here the good news about the Fearless guys. Some people do not do FB. I hope everything worked out in the end!
    So sorry FalseImpressions. Big Fearless and Yukon Goldrush are on the trailer now. I went back to the backside today to help coordinate papers and touch base with the trainers again... all totally unnecessary since they had all of it under control.

But it was nice to be there and hang out a bit, away from the rush that goes on in the mornings. I had time to see trainers enjoying their horses and be reminded that there are many well loved horses on that backside and good compassionate trainers who love to see their horses retire into lives that are less stressful than track life. One trainer told me that now is when he gets to give back to his horses.

So all of you who take these horses are not only important to the horses but to the fabric of the whole backside community. You help them keep it balanced and fair to the horses and many in the Finger Lakes community are very aware of this and appreciate it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexieOTTB View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by LexieOTTB View Post
    Hey, can you please email me at spaethfarm@gmail.com? I can't send personal messages. Thanks

Another shameless bumb for Sew Your Notes. This filly really needs a home..She is clean, sound and young.

Default Raynick's Token

Lexie,

I was with BC when we took his pics and we both really liked him. I will be delighted if he goes home with you.

It is impossible to not be rooting for each and every horse that is listed on our site or the proboards site. They are all amazing and deserving.

Some that spring to mind are the true older warhorse, Whose Living Bettor (big beautiful bay with chrome!), Desert Doctor. I would have mentioned Yukon Gold Rush but he's going home, which is terrific news! Led Advantage is a big (at least 17 hh) chestnut filly who is stunning. She is in trouble frankly. She has been vetted and, for a fee perhaps, the vet may share the results of her x-rays. Her picture on Pedigree Query shows a stunning dark chestnut parading in the paddock at one of the NYRA tracks, shiny and muscled.

Several of us will be present at the track until the horses must be off the grounds and we will be privileged to show you around and help you find your Finest. Bring a trailer, some cash and your shipping wraps (that's my recipe for a great holiday!)!

Bumping also for Mt. Karakorum. His groom loves him so much that she BOUGHT him for heaven's sake to keep him safe, and I bet that's not an easy thing to do on a groom's salary! He's sound. The PPE has been done. Anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    Another shameless bumb for Sew Your Notes. This filly really needs a home..She is clean, sound and young.
    I've had my eye on her. Anyone know what her temperament is like apart from not liking track life? She looks kind, athletic and is well bred.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I've had my eye on her. Anyone know what her temperament is like apart from not liking track life? She looks kind, athletic and is well bred.

Someone please grab Led Advantage and Teconic Girl and January Baby, I really do not need another mare but these three are tugging at me and if I just happened to find them in my pasture I would not complain.

I like Sew Your Notes alot too, go get her plainbay so I can live vicariously thru you

Lots of lovely ladies still want homes! I know the boys tend to be more popular (and while we're talking boys-someone go buy Who's Livin Bettor RIGHT NOW) but don't forget about the girls!

Taconic Girl-She really reminds me of an OTTB I used to know (who unfortunately had an unreadable tattoo). Similar build and even markings-she was a star in the local hunter shows and was an adorable lesson horse. Just look at that cute face: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/teconic-girl/

Led Advantage-She really is a stunning mare and is in need. She just looks like an intelligent girl with a work ethic who will make a great partner. Somebody scoop her up! http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/led-advantage/

Florida Quaker-Seriously, how has no one purchased her yet? http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/florida-quaker/

Bilssful Belle-I really like this girl. She's cute and something about the way she is built really attracts me to her: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/blis...bay-15-3-filly

Melody Queen-This girl is pretty and refined and screams hunter to me: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/melodys-queen/

Having said all that, I am no expert (by a long shot) nor do I play one on TV, but whether you agree or disagree with my opinions-Made you look! Now go buy

PS-I had to stop myself from listing all of the mares so know that there are more and they are just as attractive as this bunch!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Lexie,
    Several of us will be present at the track until the horses must be off the grounds and we will be privileged to show you around and help you find your Finest. Bring a trailer, some cash and your shipping wraps (that's my recipe for a great holiday!)!
    I wish I could come see the horses in person, but I live in Atlanta, GA. Thanks so much for the additional feedback as it helps me make a decision since I can't see them in person.

Lexie, many of the Finests have been purchased sight unseen. My overwhelming experience has been that the majority of these Finests far surpass the expectations of their new owners. And, again, the shippers are out in force and their are always trucks heading south.

Pull the trigger girl!

3 members found this post helpful.