The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Anyone remember Rudy Rabbit from last year? Another COTHer found his for sale ad. Great price for a handsome horse who has already been let down with a year of retraining! Here's the thread she started and the link to his CL ad:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...at-some-Cuties!!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/3422870454.html

The two intact boys have the cutest "take me home" faces, especially Mr. Magneta. I hope someone gives them well deserved homes and brain surgeries. For anyone who is interested in Mr. M, his trainer posted a picture on the FLF Facebook page and he doesn't look butt high like he appears in his listing. They're both cuties!

I'm still pining over Relatively Ready. Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen this year. So bump for him and a reminder that there are 2 pages of Finests so make sure to look at them all when you're making your selections!
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    He is one of he most spectacular horses we have listed, hands down! His personality is big pet, but very willing to try whatever you want. He has ponied racehorses, gone on western trail rides, and started over cross-rails in an english jumping saddle. Because the trainers' daughter loves him so much and has made him her special pet, the price is pretty firm.
    It was funny -- when taking his listing, I asked the price and she said "Five." I said, with an incredulous tone, "Do you mean five hundred?" (Remember, we had been hearing 500 all morning!) If she had said yes, I was going to run to the nearest ATM! When she said "No, five thousand," I thought that's more like it for a horse of this quality, looks, and movement. For someone looking for a forever superstar and not a resale project, that is truly a fair price for this horse in my opinion.
    Hey Colleen,

While I think he is cute I am more curious about his record and the succesive breaks. Did the listers comment on that or at least explain why he was off for 10 months right after a win, then ran 3 times poorly, and seemingly kept the option open to run him again by still being on the backside and are now finally listing him 7 months after his last race, but yet he's still galloping?

You know me, I am not trying to be a negative nancy, but I would advise anyone to take a very good vet with them to seriously check over this guy. It could be they just took him home for a bit, but then why is he back on the backside now and galloping? It just doesn't add up. Did they say anything??

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Xctrygirl. Those of us without racetrack experience really appreciate an experienced eye with this stuff.

I don't think there's anything to put off a potential buyer. The horse is the trainer's daughter's pet and she has done all kinds of activities. He had time at Penn ponying horses and the reference to galloping was not specific to timeframe, only a commentary on his versatility and range of experience. The daughter has done everything with him, including started him over cross rails and doing western showmanship with him. This is likely related to his time off, but it's best to ask these questions of the owner/trainer.

2 members found this post helpful.

Just to be clear I am not saying people should avoid or not consider this horse. But I would do a foundationmare suggests and ask a lot of questions. And then I would get a trust worthy vet's opinion.

That price is huge but honestly there are people that will plunk it down if they want the horse bad enough. Now since I have spent the better part of the last 24 hours looking at OTTB sale ads all over the us, I would HIGHLY suggest against spending that much given whats on the market now, but hey, to each their own.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

2 members found this post helpful.

... I asked the price and she said "Five." I said, with an incredulous tone, "Do you mean five hundred?" (Remember, we had been hearing 500 all morning!) If she had said yes, I was going to run to the nearest ATM!
    Hahaha!!! I would have done the same thing,even if I had had to stick him in my living room until I found space for him at the barn...

Quote Originally Posted by sparky6 View Post
    Anyone remember Rudy Rabbit from last year? Another COTHer found his for sale ad. Great price for a handsome horse who has already been let down with a year of retraining! Here's the thread she started and the link to his CL ad:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...at-some-Cuties!!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/3422870454.html
    OMG -- Rudy Rabbit now available and for only $1000 -- less than his listing price last year! Somebody run and get him and turn him into the stunning show hunter or dressage horse he was meant to be, and save him from the fate of too many on Craig's List!!!
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Hey Colleen,

While I think he is cute I am more curious about his record and the succesive breaks. Did the listers comment on that or at least explain why he was off for 10 months right after a win, then ran 3 times poorly, and seemingly kept the option open to run him again by still being on the backside and are now finally listing him 7 months after his last race, but yet he's still galloping?

You know me, I am not trying to be a negative nancy, but I would advise anyone to take a very good vet with them to seriously check over this guy. It could be they just took him home for a bit, but then why is he back on the backside now and galloping? It just doesn't add up. Did they say anything??

Emily
    Come on Emily -- do you really think that while taking photographs of a dozen or more horses on a cold morning while also showing three groups of buyers around we have time to check into a horse's race record and start asking all sorts of questions about time off and gaps? Get real -- it is enough of a crazy juggling act just taking notes, photos and trying to switch between still photo and video function for one horse while other trainers are calling to you to come over to their barn! And even if we did have the time to call up equibase while taking notes and photos simultaneously, what would someone really say when we asked why several months off? We would have no way of verifying.
    All we can say is what the daughter told us -- she fell in love with the horse and wanted him for her own project, and she has been playing with various things with him, but parental pressure to consider selling him has led her reluctantly to list him. Parents need her working in their barn, not playing with pets. No indication whatsoever that he is back in race training -- not sure where you got that impression from. That was not what the "daughter has galloped him" reference meant, as foundationmare has indicated. The daughter clearly does not want to part with him, so she put a high price tag-- she certainly does not want to deal with tire kickers or people who call and ask if he is free. People bring horses from a farm back to the track to list them not because they are putting them back in race training, but because they know both the listers and prospective buyers are at the track, and can rarely arrange to run all over to go to farms. Nothing suspicious about this at all.
    We always recommend a PPE, for any horse, free or expensive.
    Find us on Facebook:

6 members found this post helpful.

Letthestoriesbtold is just GORGEOUS! I would take her home in a heartbeat if I could justify it....

I am totally infatuated with Coruscation. He looks like a big solid sweetie. Sigh... Me want...

Thank for that hint about being able to watch the race replays on the track site. I did not know....!
    Last edited by Amryln3; Nov. 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Looking for a ride for 1 from FL to MD (Fair Hill Area)--anyone headed that way? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    Looking for a ride for 1 from FL to MD (Fair Hill Area)--anyone headed that way? Thanks!
    Contact Dave Vanelli: 585-370-1670 He should be shipping south about now and you may be able to get on one of his loads for a good price.

If the person who made an offer for Mount Karakorum is reading this board will you please contact Crystal if you're still interested in him? I think they're ready to accept offers. He's on both boards so check him out and give her a call. He's a good citizen and deserves a great home.

Many thanks

I just tried to answer PMs but can't because an ad covers my send button, so please email me if you have questions: spaethfarm@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    If the person who made an offer for Mount Karakorum is reading this board will you please contact Crystal if you're still interested in him? I think they're ready to accept offers. He's on both boards so check him out and give her a call. He's a good citizen and deserves a great home.
    Ditto -- and also pushing this lovely horse! I spoke with Krystal yesterday morning, and she cares so much about making sure this horse gets a good home that she bought him herself from the trainer. But she really cannot keep him over the winter and emphasized that he really needs to find a home. And she reiterated that he is a complete sweetheart, a lovely mover, sound, and beautiful. He is indeed all that in my opinion. When I have watched him jog I have seen a sound and very nice show hunter type mover. I have also seen a quiet horse who has not been bothered by commotion around him -- including on one day a horse that got loose and ran around. Mt Karakorum just watched, and then let Krystal lead him over to help catch the loose horse.
    As for price flexibility, Krystal told me she just wants to get back what she paid for him, which is $1,000. He is a real bargain at that price folks -- so begging someone to step up for a really seriously nice gorgeous grey horse who could do great in dressage, in show hunters, and many other disciplines including trail riding pleasure.
    Find us on Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Contact Dave Vanelli: 585-370-1670 He should be shipping south about now and you may be able to get on one of his loads for a good price.
    His name is Dave Bonelli -- and he is a great guy, and a very good shipper. He is the saint who shipped Liberty's Thunder down to Akindale Rescue for me!
    Find us on Facebook:

Default More new homes, and nice updates!

Several more Finests have found new homes! Yulan was picked up yesterday, and arrived safely at her new home, where another Finest already enjoys life.
    Street Cruise has been purchased to go become an eventer -- we expect he will be a superstar!
    With Options found his forever person as we were in the process of taking his photos for listing, so he went right to the "Placed" list; he will ship soon to his new home.
    Wayside Park also found a home, as did "Winky" -- that cute little one eyed filly named Short Term Vision.
    New York Wine also found a home -- leaving several disappointed suitors who were hoping to get her first.
    And we have received some lovely messages from some very happy new owners of Finests! Neverabettercity (now known as Pigpen because of his love of mud puddles!) and Run Mikey Run are enjoying each others' company and happily adjusting to turn out.
    King Kong Kingdoms, known as Kong, is such a hit with everyone at his new barn that he is called the barn superstar!
    Walkin Boss has converted a previous warmblood person into a confirmed TB fan!
    You're Ready Now is doing great and making his person very happy as well.
    The very aptly named Pretty Victory is also settling in well and starting ground work.
    And Tanzillion, now known as Tanner, is taking to jumping quite well!
    And as for my own newest Finest, the lovely Truffula, she is enjoying going barefoot, getting muddy, and has setteld in well into the mare group in turnout. She is quickly losing the snappishness she showed on the track, and nickers when she sees me, and comes right up to me in the paddock. She will get shoes back on in two weeks,and then we will start ground work and hope to be riding her before Christmas!
    We just love getting updates on the horses we have listed and helped place, so keep those FInest updates coming!
    I am showing three groups of shoppers around tomorrow, so hoping to have more good new home news very soon.
    Find us on Facebook:

4 members found this post helpful.

And we have received some lovely messages from some very happy new owners of Finests! Neverabettercity (now known as Pigpen because of his love of mud puddles!) and Run Mikey Run are enjoying each others' company and happily adjusting to turn out.
    So happy to hear Run Mikey Run has a good home! I saw him on the listings a few times, and he always just tugged on my heart.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

3 members found this post helpful.

The lovely Volos is settling in on the farm in MD. Many thanks to his trainer and Suzanne for hooking us up originally. Volos is kind, classy and should be a great addition to our family. He will spend the winter off regrouping his ankles and then we will go from there.