The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 804
  1. #441
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2005
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    What a bunch of stunners! Can we all agree that the Finests continue to get more and more appealing?? Great job Buffalo Colleen, Rhymes w/Orange, Lisa and Red!

    Mama Gina is indeed a lovely filly and, wowza, legs that go on forever!

    Allow me, please, to relay a story about her Trainer, Bob Ubbink.

    Several years ago I was showing a buyer around the racetrack backside. She had arrived with her truck and trailer and was ready to take a lucky horse or two home with her to Saratoga.

    She selected a beautiful bay gelding who just happened to be in my care at the time (and he has since become a superstar!) and a tiny, forlorn 2 y.o. roan filly. Poor dear was not in a warm, fuzzy shedrow and looked and acted the part. Wary of people, she was about as sad a horse I've ever seen. The buyer saw a cute little filly who needed an angel to step up for her.

    She had two angels that day.

    We settled arrangements for both horses and started to load them. Of course it was the end of the meet, so brisk and windy, which just adds to the fun! Gelding loads fine and little filly just said NO! She absolutely would not load. The last thing I wanted to happen was watch this little girl get manhandled onto that trailer. We tried every trick we had in our arsenal and she just. would. not. load.

    Buyer was getting antsy and we were all frustrated. She quietly said to me "This just isn't going to work. I'll have to leave her". Welllll, I knew that filly HAD to get on that trailer or there wouldn't be much hope for her. So I feigned deafness!

    Right when things were about as far south as they could be, Bob Ubbink drove up, parked his truck and asked if we could use a hand. I could have kissed him! Bob is a gentle soul and a true horseman. He might have whispered in her ear or something, IDK, but he sweetly coaxed her onto that trailer and home she went to Saratoga, her new gelding buddy nestled in next to her. I will never forget what he did that day but it was all in a day's work for him.

    Anyone who gets horses from him and his wife, Franny, can be assured that they have been well handled and well loved!



  2. #442
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Lots of Finger Lakes horses are finding homes! Cherokee Rich is leaving for his new home in a few days and Value In Motion, Brooklyn Girl, Dear Marylou, Stick With Me Baby, Salt Water Lullaby, Queen's Gambit and Queen's Stage are all in their new homes. Also, Kokalo got a home recently as did Spec's Irish River, Communicator and little Brooklyn Bound.

    Thank you everyone for your support and enthusiasm for these horses. It's absolutely wonderful to see so many heading out to new homes and jobs. Thank you, thank you a million times!



  3. #443
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SEPowell View Post
    Lots of Finger Lakes horses are finding homes! Cherokee Rich is leaving for his new home in a few days and Value In Motion, Brooklyn Girl, Dear Marylou, Stick With Me Baby, Salt Water Lullaby, Queen's Gambit and Queen's Stage are all in their new homes. Also, Kokalo got a home recently as did Spec's Irish River, Communicator and little Brooklyn Bound.
    Also another being vetted early next week by what will be a geat home, so keeping fingers crossed on that one.

    But, not so sure about celebrating just yet on some of the mares listed above. One of our new volunteers, who would have provided an exceptional home, was trying to connect with Value in Motion's trainer about taking her, and the trainer said the owner had told him someone was coming to take her away and the trainer did not seem pleased since he knew our volunteer wanted her and would provide a wonderful home.
    Still hoping, the good home person went on Monday anyway with a trailer, and as she got to the stable gate, saw "Val," Brooklyn Girl, Dear Marylou, and another mare being signed out and loaded onto 2 waiting trailers by two women. Since all these mares had known physical issues, and all were going in a group, and most were "free", it has made us concerned and suspicious. Our volunteer checked the sign out sheet, and these mares were all signed out to people named Leslie and Sarah Hans, and possibly someone with the last name of Vark. Do any of these names ring any bells to anyone out there? We sure would like to be able to verify that these mares, even though gimpy, did indeed get good homes. Or perhaps someone needs to be watching the auctions?
    We hadn't had time to post about this yet, since we took another dozen listings last Saturday ( are just now going up on the Finger Lakes Finest website!) and have been communicating back and forth with several good home potential buyers about horses.
    Working the backside every week as we do, and seeing so many horses that need to move fast, one learns not to be so naive as to assume that all get good homes. But we hope; and we do indeed take great joy in those that we in fact know went to good homes. And that includes many of the placed horses this season.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc



  4. #444
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Also another being vetted early next week by what will be a geat home, so keeping fingers crossed on that one.

    But, not so sure about celebrating just yet on some of the mares listed above. One of our new volunteers, who would have provided an exceptional home, was trying to connect with Value in Motion's trainer about taking her, and the trainer said the owner had told him someone was coming to take her away and the trainer did not seem pleased since he knew our volunteer wanted her and would provide a wonderful home.
    Still hoping, the good home person went on Monday anyway with a trailer, and as she got to the stable gate, saw "Val," Brooklyn Girl, Dear Marylou, and another mare being signed out and loaded onto 2 waiting trailers by two women. Since all these mares had known physical issues, and all were going in a group, and most were "free", it has made us concerned and suspicious. Our volunteer checked the sign out sheet, and these mares were all signed out to people named Leslie and Sarah Hans, and possibly someone with the last name of Vark. Do any of these names ring any bells to anyone out there? We sure would like to be able to verify that these mares, even though gimpy, did indeed get good homes. Or perhaps someone needs to be watching the auctions?
    We hadn't had time to post about this yet, since we took another dozen listings last Saturday ( are just now going up on the Finger Lakes Finest website!) and have been communicating back and forth with several good home potential buyers about horses.
    Working the backside every week as we do, and seeing so many horses that need to move fast, one learns not to be so naive as to assume that all get good homes. But we hope; and we do indeed take great joy in those that we in fact know went to good homes. And that includes many of the placed horses this season.
    Hopefully they got great homes!

    I wish I could pick up Risky Gamble, but I need to get my boy going well and sold before I get another.



  5. #445
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    I can't see the pics from the new listings posted today . . .



  6. #446
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default Pictures

    The full series of pictures will be going up today. I ran out of time to get the photo series embedded for everyone so look for those to work their way on today, along with some videos.

    Thanks for your interest and patience.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com



  7. #447
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2004
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Oh wow, so many I wish I could have . . .



  8. #448
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffalo colleen View Post
    Still hoping, the good home person went on Monday anyway with a trailer, and as she got to the stable gate, saw "Val," Brooklyn Girl, Dear Marylou, and another mare being signed out and loaded onto 2 waiting trailers by two women.
    I'm so sorry to hear your concerns about Brooklyn Girl and Val. Brooklyn Girl and Val's trainer told me they went to Syracuse, but I see you question that. By the way, I still have his mare Susie Q (Cantstoplovingsue)and her improvement has been incredible, but that's another story.

    I spoke with the Schoenenman family yesterday about their mares and I'm confident they went to good homes, as did the other horses I mentioned.

    So it's nice to take a moment and celebrate those people who can buy ottbs during this difficult economic time. Thank you to all of you. The greatest effort of all comes with buying these horses and giving them the homes, attention (love) and training for new jobs they need. Again, thank you!



  9. #449
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I called earlier this week about Risky Gamble and was told she was "gone". I hope this means that she found a home and not that she was put down. Looking to fill one more stall this fall so I am anxiously waiting to see the new listings.



  10. #450
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anon123456 View Post
    I called earlier this week about Risky Gamble and was told she was "gone". I hope this means that she found a home and not that she was put down. Looking to fill one more stall this fall so I am anxiously waiting to see the new listings.
    I put up some new guys on my facebook page last night and I'm in the process of putting them on the website now. Also, I have more pics to take on Monday so just keep checking and you'll see new faces.

    And I almost forgot, Ed Perdue asked me to make the prices on Teconci Girl and Seneca Chief $500 negotiable.



  11. #451
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 1999
    Location
    Rosehill, TX
    Posts
    7,029

    Default

    "Emma" is pretty darn cute
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

    The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”



  12. #452
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2006
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    I think it is fabulous that so many people are going up and looking and purchasing a Finger Lakes Finest. TBs were totally the breed of choice when I was actively showing, eventing etc. They were what you aspired to, what you wanted to have in your barn. It is so nice to see that people are again begining to recognize what I and others have known all along. There is nothing like the heart, soul, and work ethic of TB. Their kindness never ever ceases to amaze me. It was also so wonderful to see so many well cared for horses and so many kind and knowledgable trainers when I was up for my visit. I would urge anyone who is remotely interested in adding one of these magnificent horses to your life, to go up and see for yourself. The pictures truly do them no justice at all..



  13. #453
    Join Date
    Feb. 12, 2012
    Location
    Ithaca
    Posts
    307

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I think it is fabulous that so many people are going up and looking and purchasing a Finger Lakes Finest. TBs were totally the breed of choice when I was actively showing, eventing etc. They were what you aspired to, what you wanted to have in your barn. It is so nice to see that people are again begining to recognize what I and others have known all along. There is nothing like the heart, soul, and work ethic of TB. Their kindness never ever ceases to amaze me. It was also so wonderful to see so many well cared for horses and so many kind and knowledgable trainers when I was up for my visit. I would urge anyone who is remotely interested in adding one of these magnificent horses to your life, to go up and see for yourself. The pictures truly do them no justice at all..
    I have to agree! The TB is amazing! Especially the OTTB. I have always liked them but have now become ADDICTED!( I partially blame CommanderCody) i got my first finger lakes finest this past March. And i can say as i get my own barn...there will always be an OTTB there! I do like warmbloods...but they are over rated. I think more people should realize how amazing the TB is. And as i said they will always be my breed of choice.
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

    http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org



  14. #454
    Join Date
    Jun. 5, 2006
    Posts
    937

    Default

    And I almost forgot, Ed Perdue asked me to make the prices on Teconci Girl and Seneca Chief $500 negotiable.
    I have always really liked Seneca Chief and the filly is nice too.....sigh.....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org



  15. #455
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2006
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Would be nice if I would win the lotto!



  16. #456
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by foundationmare View Post
    Don't forget to look at some of the older listings as well. Tinian Island, for example, who generated much favorable comment, is still biding his time at the track and would love to be your eventing protege!
    Tinian arrived in his new home today! I know that will make you and your family happy, Foundationmare.

    Tinian and Cherokee Rich rode home together today. Thank you Chrissy and Angel for taking these two into your homes and hearts. Angel has sent notes and pictures through facebook already and there is no doubt we'll be able to follow the post racing lives of these two horses.



  17. #457
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2010
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Photos are up. The actual write ups will be soon to follow.

    There may be some more soon since we have two new volunteers coming to help us get listings. I don't know if you ladies are on CotH, but if you are - thank you so much.

    This last batch is full of the type that I love so much - big substantial bays. I will post information to the website as soon as I get it.

    Hopefully, we will hear about the one's leaving to new homes over on Roll Call.

    I hope that others had better weather in their areas. Cold and rainy here. I have a barn full of bored OTTB's here.
    Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds
    fingerlakesfinesttbs.com



  18. #458
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2010
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anon123456 View Post
    I called earlier this week about Risky Gamble and was told she was "gone". I hope this means that she found a home and not that she was put down. Looking to fill one more stall this fall so I am anxiously waiting to see the new listings.
    Risky Gamble went on the trailers of mares from last Monday. I spoke with her trainer's son on Saturday and he told me the women who took her told him they were going to do the ankle surgery and rehab her. So hoping that is the case!
    The trainer of Value in Motion and Brooklyn Girl told me they went to someplace near Saratoga, and one of the women is someone who took one of his horses before and sent him update pictures, so he thinks it will be a good home. He, too, said it was a place that rehabs and retrains off the track horses, conistent with what Risky Gamble's connections were told. But of course he couldn't remember the name of the people or the place, so we will keep checking because there is someone out there whose heart was set on Val and would like to track her down.
    And Tinian's trainer was so happy when she came up to us on Saturday to tell us that he finally got a home. And her cute filly Fighting Back on our listings also got a good home! I am personally just thrilled for Tinian, since he was one of my faves, and I was so sad a few weeks ago when a friend of mine who I had recomended him to and who loved him had him vetted and two different vets --one from the track and one her personal vet for a second opinion -- failed him due to a knee they thought wouldn't hold up for the upper level eventing she wanted to do.
    But his new person was thankfully not deterred, and since she had something a bit less strenuous in mind, her vet gave the green light, according to Tinian's trainer. Moral of the story -- it's important to have the vets know what level of sport you aspire to, because a wonderful horse that may not be ideal for one thing may just be perfect for something else.
    And then still more good new home news from this weekend: Evil's Brother, another one I took the listing for and really liked, has a home!
    And two groups of serious shoppers were there with us on Saturday -- so hoping to hear more good news soon. I have a feeling that some of the horses newly listed by Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds aren't going to be around for long. Hardly surprising, considering their quality and potential.
    It has been an amazing few weeks -- I have personally taken photos or write up info for over 40 horses in the last month. Some never even got posted because they went fast, and many we have listed are some of the highest quality prospects imaginable, and our growing volunteer group has done some more, and we have been told about so many more that will be ready to list "soon." Whew! Good thing we are getting new volunteers coming to us in groups, because not only is Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbreds growing and thriving, but our Trainer Listings are growing by the dozens every time we go to the track.
    The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
    Find us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc



  19. #459
    Join Date
    Dec. 12, 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,603

    Default

    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/cathy-all-the-way/

    Oh my!!!! This is a NICE mare!

    Edit: Oh and no wonder I like her, she's an Artax baby, just like my little "R Lady in Blue" from last year!

    Lemme just pimp out the Artax babies...they have GOOD minds and often come with his extra chrome! Mine has the best brain. I moved her to a barn with an indoor for the winter, and she went from 24/7 turnout here at my house to eight hours out in small paddocks there. I got a text from the manager the other windy, rainy day that read: "Just thought you should know that your dreaded 4yo TB mare walked in on a loose lead rope, last one in, while all twenty horses that came in before her had chains over their noses, bucking and bolting!"



  20. #460
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2006
    Location
    Far far away
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/cathy-all-the-way/

    Oh my!!!! This is a NICE mare!

    Edit: Oh and no wonder I like her, she's an Artax baby, just like my little "R Lady in Blue" from last year!

    Lemme just pimp out the Artax babies...they have GOOD minds and often come with his extra chrome! Mine has the best brain. I moved her to a barn with an indoor for the winter, and she went from 24/7 turnout here at my house to eight hours out in small paddocks there. I got a text from the manager the other windy, rainy day that read: "Just thought you should know that your dreaded 4yo TB mare walked in on a loose lead rope, last one in, while all twenty horses that came in before her had chains over their noses, bucking and bolting!"
    My mare Susie Q (Cantstoplovingsue) is an Artax mare. I love her and even though she had a tough trip as a race horse and is paying the price with fused ankles and a compromised ligament, she's a fantastic creature. I'm playing with the idea of keeping her to breed because she's so well made and I absolutely love her mind.

    I knew Artax made a good steeplechase sire and it's really nice to read that the horses he sired are also making nonracing sport horses.



Similar Threads

  1. Finger Lakes Trainer Listings Farewell
    By Louise in forum Off Course
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
  3. Finger Lakes Finest - A Relist
    By Louise in forum Off Course
    Replies: 935
    Last Post: Mar. 23, 2011, 10:43 PM
  4. New trainer listings at Finger Lakes
    By FatDinah in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar. 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
  5. Finger Lakes Finest June 6th - new lovelies!
    By maunder in forum Off Course
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Jun. 15, 2009, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •