The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jackie Kennedy - Over Fences

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I have the coffee table book. Jackie epitomized classical riding and style.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    I have the coffee table book. Jackie epitomized classical riding and style.
    She was one of those lucky people that were good/looked good no matter what they did.

Welllll, her position over fences and the softness with which she rode her horses is something rarely seen nowadays. She rode "old style", not forced into the position we see some hunter riders in today. She was beautifully effective and made it look really easy!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I have that book, too, it's a treasure. There was a History Channel show on some time ago that had film of Jackie jumping in the back yard of their weekend home, just a couple weeks before Pres. Kennedy's assassination. Such a lovely rider! In the Schlessinger interviews she mentioned what her father had told Jack before they married, something to the effect of "keep her around horses and she'll always be happy."

Yes, the lady could ride. I had the pleasure of hunting with her and competing against her in pair races and team events. Actually The Most Unnerving Moment Ever for me on horseback was when she took MY picture over the last fence at the Piedmont pairs race one year!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Yes, the lady could ride. I had the pleasure of hunting with her and competing against her in pair races and team events. Actually The Most Unnerving Moment Ever for me on horseback was when she took MY picture over the last fence at the Piedmont pairs race one year!
    You beg the question: won't you post?

Quote Originally Posted by Peril View Post
    You beg the question: won't you post?
    Well, I never actually got, or even saw, a copy. And I'd bet it isn't an iconic jumping photo if it still exists anywhere!

But, come to think of it, if the link works, here is a picture, same horse, same course, same year possibly:

http://api.ning.com/files/TXfxeUQfNn...iJU_/bev11.jpg

And if memory serves, the coffee table book shows her over same fence, and I believe shows page out of that pair race entry page. If the above doesn't work, will maybe find another link at a future time, in an airport now and must go and catch a plane!

Editing again, deleted bad link, will try the one now appearing above...
    Last edited by Beverley; May. 4, 2012 at 09:23 PM.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly...eqiuo1_500.jpg

Jackie taking a header in a Marshall Hawkins photo. Everyone gets a bad moment!
    Last edited by Pat9; May. 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: found it
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Her Secret Service agents when she stayed in the country had to be very good riders too. In fact I understand that going cross country one day she had a bad fall, and if one of the agents hadn't been there to help her that she probably would have died.

I knew a lady that worked at the place Jackie road at on the weekends in the Virginia countryside and she told me the story.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Her Secret Service agents when she stayed in the country had to be very good riders too. In fact I understand that going cross country one day she had a bad fall, and if one of the agents hadn't been there to help her that she probably would have died.
    That would've had to have been before she married Onassis in 1968- she had no Secret Service protection from that point on. I saw her hacking solo once and encountered her shopping solo a couple of times. She did have a baddish fall hunting in '93 or '94 that required overnight hospital stay for observation.

Apparently it was in the 1960's, and I think when she was still married to JFK.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Forgive me, I'm just in awe. Of course I greatly admire anyone who is a talented rider...but the fact that you have this going for you too? Well, I'm impressed and in awe.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Forgive me, I'm just in awe. Of course I greatly admire anyone who is a talented rider...but the fact that you have this going for you too? Well, I'm impressed and in awe.
    Cool. Now I need to make sure you never actually see me ride, or meet others who know me including a few COTHers, they'd cure your awe in a hurry!