The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Barbury Castle mandatory before Team chosen

This seems to me to put an exceptional amount of the expense of travel on the horse owners rather than the Team. OTOH, it does mean that there will have to be a lot of alternatives available since all the possibles will already be in the UK.

Am I imagining that this is different from previous Olympics?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm sorry, but this is like living in a giant déjà-vu. Once again it seems that our hopefuls are wearing themselves and their horses out trying to make a team that has probably already been picked.

Guess I'm just an ignorant smurf.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Not everyone can afford to pack up and head to the UK with the "hopes" of making the team...money talks.

Ya'll are misunderstanding.... Bromont is the last selection trial. After Bromont, the team will create a short list. This short list, if it wants to go to the games, will then run a Barbury. Many of the Olympic contenders are planning to relocate to the UK in the next few months anyways....

I believe that Yogi said team members would go to Barbury. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye. Additionally, some have been given byes thus far (Neville & Tate come to mind, been relatively low key since Burghley). Perhaps they will not complete the whole competition?

Or, maybe I am just extremely hopeful. Mr. Mendicott, Mystery Whisper, Arthur, Shiraz, Can't Fire Me?, Otis, Veronica, Twizzle, any of Buck's horses - they are not proven links.

Anyone care to comment on the weather in England, Barbury in particular, at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I believe that Yogi said team members would go to Barbury. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye. Additionally, some have been given byes thus far (Neville & Tate come to mind, been relatively low key since Burghley). Perhaps they will not complete the whole competition?

Or, maybe I am just extremely hopeful. Mr. Mendicott, Mystery Whisper, Arthur, Shiraz, Can't Fire Me?, Otis, Veronica, Twizzle, any of Buck's horses - they are not proven links.

Anyone care to comment on the weather in England, Barbury in particular, at this point?

Weather at the moment;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...n-England.html

Cold and rainy...

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...6271,-1.992213

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    At the moment, in London (Soho), pouring down with rain. Not too cold.

The ground isn't horrible here. Yes, there is flooding in the Cotswolds but I rode out for hours on Sunday and we could canter and even gallop in places. Lower elevations are a bit worse off but it's improved now over two weeks ago.

Barbury drains really well because its on chalk. Its also old turf which is why whatever time of year particularly when everyone else is dry and arid that they will still have great grass cover and run.
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

I don't think anyone gets a bye on the mandetory outing. Yes, it's a horrid expense if you don't make the team. Even if you do, you paid your way over so team saves $$

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    At the moment, in London (Soho), pouring down with rain. Not too cold.

The ground isn't horrible here. Yes, there is flooding in the Cotswolds but I rode out for hours on Sunday and we could canter and even gallop in places. Lower elevations are a bit worse off but it's improved now over two weeks ago.
    we never had a chance to follow-up, how was the Sunday lesson and trail ride? Based on the above, sounds like you two had fun!
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

As I understand it, the team will send over 10 horses to England in early June, just after Bromont mandatory.
    I doubt anymore than 10 horses will be needed to pick a team, will there? We only get 5 for an Olympic team, don't we, 4 members and one alternate? So they are sending over twice as many horses. However remember some riders have more than one horse, such as Boyd - Phillip - not sure if Karen is declaring two - those horses will take some of the 10 slots - so not really sure who will be flying over. Yes, it's expensive to base in Europe and qualify at one of the foreign events before the Olympics, but hopefully it will not make the horses exhausted, worn out, and flat as the WEG prep plan did. Perhaps in some way the riders can manage the horses' energy and conditioning so that the horse PEAK at the Games, despite the USET and PTB's best efforts to the contrary...just sayin'..........
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com