The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you jump the XC warm up jumps?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never jump the XC warm up jumps

8 13.79%
  • I always jump the XC warm up jumps

29 50.00%
  • Sometimes, depends on the horse or rider

21 36.21%

Question XC Warm Up - How do you do it?

After reading the bit on EN about a rider who had a rotational fall from jumping an unanchored XC warm up jump, I wonder who does and does not jump the XC warm jumps?

When I was new to eventing a friend told me she never jumps the XC warm fences offered, only the x-rail, vertical, & oxer. Her reason was that she saw a lot of stops, runouts, riders getting popped off, etc. at the XC warm up jumps. Now that I've evented some myself and volunteered at more, I agree with her. I only jump the x-rail, vertical, & oxer. So the question is what do you do?
    Last edited by RedRyderKy; May. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

Another "back in the day" comment. We never had the option. There were no xc warmup fences! Just the X, vertical, and oxer. Your your should have some milage over a few xc fences before you compete, so having it there shouldn't make a difference. If you haven't had your horse over a few solid fences, then you should not have sent in your entry!

The x-c warm-up fences only started appearing in the last few years, and still not at every event, but I jump them if like the look of the fence (sometimes what is provided is not inviting or suitable for every level, etc.).

I think that, along with a bit more pace helps the horse "switch modes" from sj to xc (normally here in Area II xc follows sj directly).

I have not personally seen lots of stops/falls at the xc warm-up fences.

I love the addition of a XC warm up jump especially when the event runs XC immediately after show jumping. Your horse is warmed up because he just did SJ and you pop over the solid fence once or twice and it helps them (and you) shift gears.

Interesting perspective with SJ and XC running back to back. Not as common in the Area VIII and the couple Area III events I have done. I have done SJ & XC back to back only once. In that case, I believe I just jumped the oxer once and started on my course. My horse knew it was XC time and was ready to go.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

If the footing is good and the jump is a coop, I will take it at speed (if they have allowed enough room to do so). I have not seen any falls, either.

I loved the way the AEC's had four cross country jumps spread out in the warm up. I found it to be quite helpful.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I like the xc jumps in warmup since they help the horse switch modes. It was particularly helpful when my horse was somewhat green to xc, just as a little "ok buddy, pay attention, we're doing something else now." If stadium and xc are run back to back I don't bother with xc warmup unless there's something solid to go over.

It depends on the format of the event. Several are show jumping straight to XC so in that case I will pop over that one only. I use it to switch his brain from stadium to XC and usually just jump it out of a nice hand gallop to get him moving. When I don't have a jump round before I don't bother because I can just do my whole XC warm up getting him going. In general I jump the X twice, the vertical twice, and then the oxer once, then jump the oxer again right before I head over to the start box (or in for my stadium, either one).

I rarely see them, but if I do I will take it.

I see people fall off ALL the time in the warm up over x rails, oxers....

Area II here. I will usually have a little gallop and jump the xc fence(s) once or twice, mostly just to switch us both to "xc mode." Even if it is a smallish log, I think it helps us both be a bit more agressive and find a more forward rhythm. If I am at the rare event where I actually need a full jump warm up (where I have not just come from show jumping), I'll warm up the same as I would for any jumping (a few jumps over the show jumps offered) and then pop over the xc to finish up. If there are no xc jumps and it is a typical, one day (jumping phases back to back) event, I actually typically won't jump anything unless xc is backed up and wait longer than planned, or we had a rough show jumping and I need a fence or two to get my rear in gear.

Most events are good at providing inviting, soft fences in warm up. However, I distinctly remember warming up for the CIC* at Plantation a couple of years ago and thinking they couldn't have picked a selection of less friendly jumps! Mostly things with vertical faces, one of which was a narrow-ish set of rails. I did jump a couple of them, but I remember not being keen (thank God for a good jumping horse....course, we walked home at fence 5, but that's another story!).

Honestly until 08 I never saw a xc fence in warmup. Now rocking horse has them (as I moved away in 08 to area I) and I was suprised to see them at the ht in January of 11. They helped for me on the grean bean. My current boy could care less if we were jumping a dragon. He will do it.

I see a ton of falls at warmup and a ton of junk jumps. I jump maybe 5 times in warmup. I see people taking 20 and their horse is super tired before they get on course. In the lower levels there are some that look where they are going and see their surroundings and others that cut you off four strides out to the fence and their horse knocks it or stops. Riding in the open divisons and horse divisions helps a lot.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

They are now REQUIRED, unless you get special permission from the TD.

EV108.3.c
    The exercising area
    for Cross-Country must include at least three adjustable fences (including at least one oxer)
    and at least one solid cross-country type obstacle
    Shame on the course builder and the TD if they were not staked.

At events where cross country is IMMEDIATELY after show jumping, I will jump the solid fences a couple of times to help make the switch from "Show Jumping" to "Cross Country". But I did not miss them before they were there.

It is my understanding that the Upper Level Riders were the ones who pushed for the rule requiring them.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Every HT I've ever attended had dressage followed directly by XC and SJ the next day. In my experience I never really had to warm up my mare over a XC jump since she is personally all about the solid obstacles (coming from our days of training in the mountains of Montana!). But when it comes to SJ she needs to be put over the oxer a few times to remind her of the difference. To each their own I suppose

As you know, I only jump the cross rail, vertical, and oxer. Interesting that I seem to be in the minority, so I'll explain myself. My rational is that if you have a problem at the x-c warm-up fence, then you go onto course knowing that you now may have a problem. That's not how I'd like to set out! I've seen people have tons of problems with the x-c fence in warm-up and figure that they may be (at least psychologically) setting themselves up for issues on course. I've only had one horse who didn't get that it was x-c time now... and that was for one, maybe two shows. We fixed that one with a tap with the crop out of the box & it never reared its ugly head again
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

And, when I am TDing, I make sure that the warm-up jumps are staked to the same standard as jumps out on course, just as I make sure the warm-up oxer has safety cups. I do not jump any fences for xc warm-up if coming straight from sj. On one horse I rode this past winter, we only jumped the xc jump in the xc warm-up, not the cross rail, vertical or oxer
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I like having them there. And I really liked it one time last year when the warm-up steward had forgotten to unflag the Training jump in Novice warmup; Baxter had already cleared it confidently when we all realized it was supposed to be unflagged. Needless to say, we then had a very confident trip around at Novice.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    As you know, I only jump the cross rail, vertical, and oxer. Interesting that I seem to be in the minority, so I'll explain myself. My rational is that if you have a problem at the x-c warm-up fence, then you go onto course knowing that you now may have a problem. That's not how I'd like to set out! I've seen people have tons of problems with the x-c fence in warm-up and figure that they may be (at least psychologically) setting themselves up for issues on course. I've only had one horse who didn't get that it was x-c time now... and that was for one, maybe two shows. We fixed that one with a tap with the crop out of the box & it never reared its ugly head again

yes I agree with this definitely. I believe I tried a warmup xc fence once and my mare did NOT like it. It was oddly placed next to the x/vertical/cross rail and I think it confused her more than anything. As soon as we get in the box she knows what her job is!

I will unless I come straight from SJ. Then I jump nothing, I go straight to start box b/c even though horse is green, he is smart and an XC machine already. He learned what the box was after 1 time, LOL.