The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Karen O'Connor Moment...

I am switching from dressage to eventing. I took my mare schooling tonight and she went into water for the first time. It was a lovely time at Loch Moy, where we are going to do our first starter horse trial on May 19 (elementary). So tonight we had some great helpers (Ultimate Equestrian) and Tom and Judy Smith helped us a lot. She jumped everything including ditch, up and down banks, we got her into water--plus there were a lot of trail obstacles to play around with. It was SOOOOO much fun!

However--Karen O has NUTHIN' on me! My mare launched off a bank into the water and I fell off--into the water--EXACTLY like Karen fell off of Veronica at Rolex last weekend. We have it on video--trying to figure out how to get it on Facebook. That is the FIRST time I have ever fallen off her, and the first time I have ever fallen into water.

I am VEEEWWWWWWY sore right now...

I also had a KOC moment! I was riding my green pony on XC for the first time and we were going up and down some banks. I walked up and down it, no problem. Trotted up it no problem.

She decided to trot down it to follow another horse and I thought no problem. I've ridden banks before and my previous horse, who was hot hot hot and always jumped enormous was very good on banks so whatever on this laid back pony.

Well, she LAUNCHED down it and I wasn't sitting back far enough/had my reins too short and should have been holding my grab strap so I went back, was popped forward onto her neck, then bucked right off. It was also the first time I ever came off her, then she ran away!

I watched Rolex, and went ohhhhh that's what it looked like... only much smaller!

Mine was a Black Friday schooling Thanksgiving weekend, a few years ago. I got tossed into the water coming off a teeny-tiny down bank. Landed flat on my back in ice cold water, and oh baby oh baby it was cold! Fortunately I always bring a change of clothes for the trip home.

Ah, I wouldn't call mine a KO'C moment, but I did land in the water - that wasn't supposed to be water - it was MUD!!! My horse flipped over a fence that he THOUGHT he was supposed to bank, and it wasn't sturdy enough to hold him... My trainer/friend lent me some of her husband's clothes.... It's amazing how mud can soak INTO EVERYTHING!!! But at least it was soft!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

For new (and old) eventers, #1 rule: KEEP YOUR UNDERWEAR DRY!

Wouldn't it be more appropraite to call it a "Princess Anne Moment". She was much more well known for falling off in the water (e.g., in the Olympics) than Karen O'C.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I had one of those! Anyone familiar with the little bitty water in the woods at Frying Pan? Took Horse there for his (AND my!) very first XC schooling a few years ago, he was all butterflies and rainbows with trotting into the "beach" side and hopping up the little bank out. Did that half a dozen times, then went the other way, nice slow trot (following a VERY seasoned buddy) off the bank into the water.

Horse decided he was going to do his best Superman impression and tried to fly over the water (which would have been probably a good 2-3 strides at a canter) in one giant leap. He actually made it about two-thirds of the way across; I hung on for about half a stride and ended up landing half-in, half-out of the water. Horse was aghasted and promptly took off.

Cracked my helmet and messed up my hip on landing, but we caught him, I got back on, we got through it properly a couple times before calling it a day...
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    However--Karen O has NUTHIN' on me! My mare launched off a bank into the water and I fell off--into the water--EXACTLY like Karen fell off of Veronica at Rolex last weekend. We have it on video--trying to figure out how to get it on Facebook. That is the FIRST time I have ever fallen off her, and the first time I have ever fallen into water.

I am VEEEWWWWWWY sore right now...
    And just how much shrieking did you do after you hit the water???? given that you had a major meltdown over an ivy vine and some rocks at Gettysburg ....

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Mine was a Black Friday schooling Thanksgiving weekend, a few years ago. I got tossed into the water coming off a teeny-tiny down bank. Landed flat on my back in ice cold water, and oh baby oh baby it was cold! Fortunately I always bring a change of clothes for the trip home.
    My "dunking" also happened at a schooling day when it was 38degrees I didn't have a change of clothes either, but the friend I'd trailered with saved my day. I was always bitching at her about bringing too much stuff every time we rode together. I've kept my mouth shut about it since then
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Some riders fall even without a waterfence - like Kristi Nunnink- she had nasty falls in 2010 and in 2011. This year was her third participation and she finished without parting company. Kristi is a tough lady.

The only shrieking was with laughter. Slapstick.