The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    KayB Guest

It has been a recurring headline in the news that sexual offenders must
    give notice to a community before they move into a new area. This allows
    parents to know that a sexual offender is in the area and they can take steps
    they feel to keep their children safe. While certainly many sexual offenders
    do not repeat in there malicious ways, many do because some feel it is a form
    of mental illness. These flyers that are sent to new areas that a sexual
    offender moves to are a great idea in my opinion. If they can save one
    person from becoming a victim then they have served there purpose. The
    Internet has provided for a great way for sexual offenders to pray on
    unsuspecting victims. A pedophile has access to people in a WORLD WIDE
    community. There is no way to send notice that a sexual offender has moved into the
    Internet, because there are millions of members.

There is one person that comes to mind when I say all this. He is a
    famous horse show announcer. He has started a site geared mainly towards
    juniors. People that show often will come across with this person, as he is
    at many of the more prestigious shows. I think that parents need to know. He
    seems like a nice guy, by WHY would a convicted sexual offender start a website
    geared towards kids? I will leave that for you to answer. www.Towerheads.com
    is the website I am talking about.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Sexual_P....asp?keys=5647

Written by Dk

[This message has been edited by KayB (edited 06-11-2000).]

KayB Guest

It has been a recurring headline in the news that sexual offenders must
    give notice to a community before they move into a new area. This allows
    parents to know that a sexual offender is in the area and they can take steps
    they feel to keep their children safe. While certainly many sexual offenders
    do not repeat in there malicious ways, many do because some feel it is a form
    of mental illness. These flyers that are sent to new areas that a sexual
    offender moves to are a great idea in my opinion. If they can save one
    person from becoming a victim then they have served there purpose. The
    Internet has provided for a great way for sexual offenders to pray on
    unsuspecting victims. A pedophile has access to people in a WORLD WIDE
    community. There is no way to send notice that a sexual offender has moved into the
    Internet, because there are millions of members.

There is one person that comes to mind when I say all this. He is a
    famous horse show announcer. He has started a site geared mainly towards
    juniors. People that show often will come across with this person, as he is
    at many of the more prestigious shows. I think that parents need to know. He
    seems like a nice guy, by WHY would a convicted sexual offender start a website
    geared towards kids? I will leave that for you to answer. www.Towerheads.com
    is the website I am talking about.

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Sexual_P....asp?keys=5647

Written by Dk

[This message has been edited by KayB (edited 06-11-2000).]

KayB, just so you know, someone has posted this on the Equisearch board... Give credit where credit is due... You might want to check it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkerHorse:

we know =)
    its posted on AOL boards as well.. just letting KayB know
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you should accredit the message as being posted by "KayB, member of Chronicle horse boards" or some such notation, instead of taking credit for someone else's work.

I'm speechless. What is the story behind the conviction? Geezus XXXXXXXXXX.

Before anyone slams Portia for possibly having a conflict of interest on this issue, let me state that I agree that the inital post in this thread is a violation of the board's rules and I, too, wish to see the post deleted.

I have visited that particular website and I have found nothing offensive or misleading or dangerous about it. To imply here that the website is being used for nefarious purposes is a gross libel which could have legal repurcussions for KayB. And any resulting problems could cause the Chronicle to close down these discussion boards.

There have been many discussions as how best to broach these topics, how best to disseminate information about things which impact our sport without violating either the rules of this board, the rights of those involved, or the laws of our country. I hope those who visit here are mature and responsible enough to understand and accept these terms. And if they are not, I hope they will leave.
    Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Isn't "Megan's law" public information for a reason?

The law is the law.... and what is being stated here is FACT, not rumor. Last time I noticed it's not against the law to state facts!

Whether you find the information offensive of not....FACT IS FACT....and not to mention that the "law of the land" has spoken out to insist that sexual offenders....no matter how minor (if any offense can be considered minor) be public information. Ever look into the eyes of a child who has been assaulted? Ever live the nightmare? Until you've walked a mile in their shoes.....keep your offensive feelings in check!

I am glad that KayB posted that.

When this topic came up before, I kept the information identifying the person off the board and told people that if they were concerned for their children's safety, to email me directly and I'd provide them with the name, official information from the sexual offenders database, etc.

Interestingly enough, I received ZERO requests for that information, which tells me that this thread has more to do with gossip than with actual concerned parents.

I also emailed KayB directly after she posted a question regarding this on the board, told her to contact the person involved directly, and told her my understanding of the conviction. Apparently she doesn't believe that explanation (which I received directly from the person in question), which is fine. But I would hope that before anyone posts about this topic, they'd have the courtesy to find out what the explanation is.

I've edited KayB's post because there was ONE conviction for a sexual offense in this case. That by no means constitutes a pedophile... that term suggests ongoing and disturbed behavior, and I'm quite certain it's slanderous to slap that label on someone. As I've said many times, a sexual offense covers a very wide range of charges.

I still don't think this board is the appropriate place to discuss this topic, but since the edited version of the post does constitute fact, I'm not going to delete it. But I don't think people have any business posting about this topic unless they've emailed the person involved directly and asked for an explanation.

Erin...I am so dissapointed....as a mother...and a victim of a serious sexual offense....I can not believe that hiding these facts can be "helpful" to those who have suffered the crime...and if the offender wished to "defend" his side...I have seen nothing on HIS web site...I am glad that KAYB posted this inforamtion...people are not convicted for the "Hell of it"
    AND ONE MORE THING>>>>>>> whether it was one conviction or a hundred.....does it make it any easier to swallow?
    Slamming this person on these boards is not going to change ANYTHING... and from what I have read so far...NO ONE has stepped in that direction.....

[This message has been edited by luckyduck (edited 06-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by luckyduck (edited 06-11-2000).]

Its your own choice which story to believe. But really, if your concerned, or worried, or want to know- direct your questions and concerns to the person involved, not like this. Rumor and gossip can destroy someone, as sad as that may be. I know where I stand o nthis, what I believe, and what I think.

One thing I can't figure out however is how the site is directed to Jrs? I would be willing to believe that the number of adults and children visiting, using, and enjoying the site are equal, if not greater adults to children.

Erin and many of the other moderators have done an excellent job with this board, for all of us. Lets not make their job any more difficult, and start anythign which may lead to the demise of these boards which we all enjoy so much. Please.

Thank you Becca. . .You said what I was trying to say. . .
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RagsRules:
    I am glad that KayB posted that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was really mature of you ryan to say that =)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:
    KayB -- I, as a moderator of these boards, am warning you that you have directly violated the rules of the boards. You have specifically named an individual and maliciously characterized that person as a pedophile. You clearly do not know the facts, and you run a substantial risk of civil liability for libel and defamation of character. Delete your post immediately.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

me thinks portia has a cross in intrerests

Becca, thank you. I think that you have said it all. So, I just want to add my request. Please, if you have any questions, contact the person involved directly. To make a reasoned decision, you need to know as much as you can.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

How Naiive can you be to DEFFEND a convicted child molester???? Get over yourselves! Have you ever heard of Megan's law?
    Where is the gossip? IT'S PUBLIC RECORD!!!!!!
    I am sickened that anyone on this board would even consider defending a CONVICTED felon especially one that their crime was
    "Status supervision, Dept of corrections inmate #463041, DOB: 3/22/1950, race:white, sex:male, height: 6' hair: brown, eyes: blue, weight:230lbs. Last reported address: 12705 West Hampton Circle, West Palm Beach, FL. 33414-5547, County: Palm Beach, Date address entered: 1/12/00 Qualifying offences:
    "Lewd, lasciviuos child under 16, victim, gender unknown, minor, yes. [name of convict]is a SEX OFFENDER under Florida law. Positive identification cannot be established unless a fingerprint comparison is made"
    For further information contact the Florida dept of law enforcement sexuall offender/predator unit at 1-888-357-7332.
    Information in quotes recieved from web address posted by Kay B for sexual offenders.
    This is only what the State of Florida has said about him and convicted him on...I do not know HIS side of the story, but I'd be happy to listen if he would like to share with us why we should not worry about our children making contact with him.
    Now that Florida's side of the story has been posted, why is everyone so quick to deffend him?
    Should we be accusing Florida for improperly convicting someone?
    And what about the parent's side and MOST importantly, the CHILD'S SIDE??????
    Will we ever know that side?
    How sad that people condsider a person's status over a child's safety. If this man is not the same as the man listed with Florida, I apologize in advance.

[This message has been edited by pacificsolo (edited 06-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DarkerHorse:
    me thinks portia has a cross in intrerests<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I daresay it Portia's, and only Portia's business where her interests lie. I also am pretty certain that in her directly inforcing a RULE of the board, a conflict, or so called cross in interests had nothing to do with anything other than fulfilling her duties as a moderator.

On another note, perhaps someone could fill me in on "Megan's Law?"

[This message has been edited by Becca (edited 06-11-2000).]

KayB, do not delete your post ... just change the bottom part to the member of www.towerheads.com that you are talking about if that's what Oxer wishes. No one ever mentioned the name Vanessa symmons in conjunction with any convictions. ONLY the one person who is involved at this website was mentioned. It is not libel to state facts which are a matter of public record...... As for "Rumors" destroying a persons image, I see only facts in the original post posted by KayB. The picture on the Florida site is 2 years old. That means that the 'person' couldn't have been convicted that many years ago. Sorry, but if that 'person' who we all know now has nothing to hide then no one should be upset. Only facts have been stated. The boards are still free for anyone to post on, correct? Well, then he should post his side of the story and clear the air if he so desires. People here are insinuating that the Florida Police department convicted this person falsely. This should be taken up so his status as a sexual proditor can be removed.