The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bluebonnet Adopt-a-thon - Conroe, TX

For our Houston, TX area members.... you don't have to adopt to come out, but I would love to meet some of you and would love for you guys to come out and support us.

Event: Bluebonnet – Horse & Rider Adopt-a-thon
    Date: May 12th, 2012
    Time: 10am – 4pm

We’re excited to announce what we hope will become an annual event: The Bluebonnet – Horse & Rider Adopt-a-thon in Conroe, Texas! We’ll be bringing several horses of different ages, breeds and training levels to the event to meet the public. Anyone who is pre-approved to adopt may take their new horse home that day and will pay half the normal adoption fee! Individuals interested in being pre-approved to adopt can download an adoption application from the organization’s website at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org.

Anyone who applies to adopt during the adopt-a-thon will receive half price adoption fees on any horses they adopt within the following 30 days. The Horse & Rider Store will also be offering discounts on items in the store to Bluebonnet adopters.

The event will include a saddle raffle, silent auction, and much more. Proceeds from the silent auction and saddle raffle will benefit the horses of Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society. We’re still seeking new and used tack, farm and ranch items and horse and ranch-themed jewelry and home décor for the silent auction. All donations are tax-deductible.

Saddle raffle: new roping saddle (value of over $1,000). Raffle tickets are $10 each and the winner does not have to be present to win (but will need to contribute $25 towards shipping the saddle if he/she is not present). You can email jenn@bluebonnetequine.org for info on how to purchase tickets if you won’t be able to make the event or to donate items for the silent auction.

For more information about the event, call us at (888) 542 5163, email jenn@bluebonnetequine.org or visit the event Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/events/349647875092325/

Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is to improve the lives of equines by educating owners, assisting law enforcement agencies, rehabilitating abused and neglected equines, and placing them into safe, permanent homes. BEHS has been overwhelmed with calls about starving horses throughout Texas, and the organization hopes to make the Bluebonnet Adopt-a-Thon an annual event that will enable them to help many horses throughout the year.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Will y'all "sell" tables for people to set up tack for sale? That might be an extra way for Bluebonnet to fundraise!

Looks like a great event for a great cause!

Do you have the silent auction items online for online bidding?

Hope it's a great success!

Quote Originally Posted by LEL View Post
    Will y'all "sell" tables for people to set up tack for sale? That might be an extra way for Bluebonnet to fundraise!
    I'm going to have to ask the store manager if he would let us do that (that's his call since it is at his store). Thank you for the idea!

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

bump and good luck!

P.

Very best of luck to you!!! Sounds like a great idea!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Wishing you an empty trailer on the ride home!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Jenn, sending you a PM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFarm View Post
    Looks like a great event for a great cause!

Do you have the silent auction items online for online bidding?

Hope it's a great success!
    I don't think time - I'm still not sure what all I'm going to have there. One of my jobs this weekend is to go through stuff in storage and get it ready to go.

I need to remember to do that next time (get stuff online for pre-bidding).

Jenn - I work for a non-profit and we did a silent auction a couple years ago. Photographed all items and put on website with description. We're not overly high-tech (so couldn't do a fancy on-line bidding thing), but priced items at a certain percent above the donor's claimed value for a "make it mine" online price. We did sell a few items in that manner.

Hope your silent auction is as successful as ours turned out to be!

Giving this a bump.

Wish I could be there as I'm just south of Conroe. Alas, it is Mother's Day weekend, and us sisters are taking Mom to Dallas for the home & garden tour.

Best wishes for a very successful adopt-a-thon!

Just in case we have any Houston-area members who can stop by tomorrow who haven't seen this... I'm bumping it up.

I promise if you come, I won't make you adopt a horse. I would just love to have more people stop by - and get to meet some of the COTHers.

I just saw this...too busy with family to trek up to Conroe tomorrow but if you come to the area again, my husband and I can donate new items (generators, light farm tools, misc) for a silent auction.

Good luck tomorrow and keep up the good work!!

Is this the first year for this???

I am originally from The Woodlands (living in MS now for college) and I never remember hearing about an adopt-a-thon near our area. I wish I had known about it! I am all about the rescues

Both my boys have been given a 2nd lease on life

How did it go?! Would like to hear all the deets!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

It was our first year to do it - so that's why you hadn't heard about one before.

It was a great day. The planning almost killed me as I almost had no horses attending for the adopt-a-thon part (long story involving several separate incidents with foster homes, transport, whatever). But the day came together - we had gorgeous weather (which can be hit or miss in the Houston area in May). Not too hot, a breeze part of the day, and no rain. We had a couple of last minute horse drop-outs (due to trailering issues), but the horses who came DID GREAT. They didn't mind the traffic going by nearby, the people coming to see them or anything else. They all made friends and fans, and we took in some adoption applications which I'll be processing tomorrow.

We sold raffle tickets, t-shirts and silent auction items. The store got several things donated for the raffle, so we have probably 15 winners (the grand prize winner won the saddle, and the others won smaller items).

We made new friends for the rescue, and we made a great partnership with the Horse & Rider Store. We bought a lot of people into the store and they had a great day as well.

This wasn't intended as a fundraiser, but it didn't do bad - $2500-$3000 (rough estimate) after expenses. I'll have the accounting done tomorrow.

I wish I could clone myself so I could do another one or two of these sometime soon. I'm hoping some of the other Horse & Rider Stores in the state will partner up with us as well - there may be an event coming to a location closer to some of our other Texas COTHers in the nearish future.

Sounds like it can be called a success! So glad you had a good event, Jen. Hopefully you'll have a pile of saviors in your stack of applications.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."