The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff: Who did you get to meet at Rolex?

Okay, which fellow COTHers (or riders) did everyone get to meet at Rolex?

As I said in one of the plethora of other Rolex threads, I had the enormous pleasure of meeting Riderboy and Gryhrs during dressage on Friday. Two of the nicest, most engaging people one could ever ask to meet! And while we are all chatting, the nice lady sitting next to me says "hi, I'm Judybigredpony"! What a crazy coincidence!!

So who did you all have the chance to meet?

(I so wanted to meet more folks during XC but the day just got away from me)
    Last edited by ACMEeventing; May. 3, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Riders: Sinaid Halpin and Holly Payne

COTH: Kate Wooten and Gryhrs. Unfortunately, riderboy was somewhere shopping, so I did not see him. Deltawave was one of the stewards near our crossing guard area on Saturday. Sally O'Conner was one of the head stewards in our area that day, too.

My DH helped hand out the awards on Sunday (He was the one who was holding the Rolex, before and after it was presented to WFP). He got to meet a lot of the riders at the after party. Lucky him!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Gryhrs and I met the equally charming and quite lovely ACMEventing and Judybigredpony! We said Hi to Deltawave and then she had to scoot off to attend to business on the XC course. I'm sure I saw other COTHers, maybe we should all get t-shirts with our COTH names on the back.

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Gryhrs and I met the equally charming and quite lovely ACMEventing and Judybigredpony! We said Hi to Deltawave and then she had to scoot off to attend to business on the XC course. I'm sure I saw other COTHers, maybe we should all get t-shirts with our COTH names on the back.
    Stop, stop, I'm blushing . . . Sorry, in my good ear?

I had every intention of getting a "hi, my name is" badge to wear and completely forgot. Next big event I attend I am going to wear a bright t-shirt with my COTH name. To heck with anonymity!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    I had the enormous pleasure of meeting Riderboy and Gryhrs during dressage on Friday. Two of the nicest, most engaging people one could ever ask to meet!
    You sweet thing you.....
    You obviously have never seen Riderboy and I teach each other It was soooo great to meet you! We also met Olympicdreams04 - who was very humble about riding intermediate. Hell - if I rode intermediate - I'd tattoo it on my forehead for all to see. I luckily ran into Auburn and CookiePony- YAAAH! Love Auburn & Cookiepony. Caught wonderful Deltawave when she was in between saving lives. Just wish I could have spent more time with all the above.

Jimmy Wofford, bought his new book and had it signed. I'm not big on signatures, but he is one of my idols and having him sign his book was awesome.

DD and I had a super time at Keeneland on olympicdreams04's tour. Shot the breeze with pony grandma, and ate breakfast there with 2 fabulous friendly Canadians whose screen names I can't remember, oh no! (bad sleepy brain!!)

It was our first trip to Rolex, and it was wonderful.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Next big event I attend I am going to wear a bright t-shirt with my COTH name. To heck with anonymity![/QUOTE]

Dude, that's a good idea. The COTH Team shirt, complete with username. I'm in!
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Cookiepony stayed with me at my brother's house! I didn't get to meet any other COTHers, though.

I was THRILLED to meet Ralph Hill--he trained my trainer, so he was eager to talk to us. AND....Jim Wofford said "Hi, Becky!" to me. I just about died right there and then. He's my hero.....and he remembered me from a couple clinics. Woot!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Not this year, but my biggest brush with someone famous at Rolex was the time I somehow ended up sitting next to Lucinda Green and chatting while riders were going by on x-c. She was amazingly down to earth and was asking ME questions about some of the American riders. Only in sports like ours do you meet big-time riders and they are not with "handlers" or an entourage, and you can actually talk with them.

This year, COTH celebrity that I met was DeltaWave (but that doesn't count because I know her!) I found her talking with my hubby (keeping him from dying of boredom) while I was 10 deep in a checkout line at the trade fair. Thank you DW!

ACMEeventing is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Gryhrs View Post
    You sweet thing you.....
    You obviously have never seen Riderboy and I teach each other It was soooo great to meet you! We also met Olympicdreams04 - who was very humble about riding intermediate. Hell - if I rode intermediate - I'd tattoo it on my forehead for all to see.

Me too! I would be like "hi, nice to meet you. Have I mentioned I ride Intermediate? I'm kind of a big deal . . . " Very cool
    Cotton would fight.

We need Hats with COTH'er on it........so much fun.....Nascar Hell was there hanging w/ me on XC day and I know Wookie drove all night for XC we texted but didn't find each other.............Deltawaves tailgate spot was 60 and we were 55 but in Rolex # sequencing I think we were miles apart...We had the grey pony (Brazilian Wedding) ballon attop out vehicle and a bright yellow table cloth..
    Riderboy,ACMEeventing and Gryhrs such nice people to put a face to names...shall we do it same time same place 2013?????

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

We have a local hat manufacturer, so if we coordinate early enough, ball caps are possible.

Way back in the beginning of the COTH forums--2000 or 2001, COTH had caps made and sold them. There was actually a thread about the adventures of some of the COTH caps.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I know I met olympicdreams on her keeneland tour and I am SURE There were other CoTHers in the group who I spoke too, but I didnt get there names...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Sinead, Meg (with Sinead) and MLM... all wonderful!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Aw Blue Yonder, you are sweet! It was a total pleasure to meet you and your lovely DD too! (My friend Marnie is not a CoTHer because (in her words) she already spends too much time online lurking horses for sale )

Thanks again to Lauren for setting up the Keeneland tour -- it was definitely a highlight!

COTH hats with our "handle" would be great!!! Somebody run with it . . .

I found her talking with my hubby (keeping him from dying of boredom) while I was 10 deep in a checkout line at the trade fair.
    I think he was only pouting because nobody sold size "extra super tall" mens' breeches and orange saddle pads.
    Click here before you buy.

Thumbs up Not this year

MAybe 1998 or 2000 forget which, My husband and I walked a few fences with DOC! So nice and so educational!
    In 1983 I sat and chatted with Torrance Watkins in the Big barn.
    That was a thrill!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

A couple years back, Kim Walnes of The Grey Goose fame was seated next to us for dressage. She was so gracious and unassuming, and even gave us tips about certain bits to buy for a strong horse, etc. Very, very cool. Except that I was kind of disappointed that a former Rolex winner would be stuck up in the nosebleed seats with us smurf-y types!