The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Event Timetables

Used to be that in one day events, the upper or higher levels offered ran first, taking advantage of better footing, cooler temperatures, done before noon, etc. I'm noticing this season in a number of unrecognized events (Maryland, CDCTA combined test) and in recognized events (MCTA) that the lower levels are being set first in the day, with Novice and BN starting early and Prelim and up not until the afternoon. Confess I'm not a fan of this new timeline (I like the young horses and less experienced riders to have more time to get settled in, and I also prefer that footing is less chewed up and temperatures lower for the horses doing the bigger efforts), but regardless, has anyone else noticed this as a new trend or have I just hit the jackpot of unusual scheduling?

I've seen some of it as well. Have talked to a couple secretaries. Some for sponsors, spectators, etc to be able to come in middle of day. Some because footing may actual dry/get better (or so the theory goes) with a bit more time. Some because of how the multiple rides are distributed across levels.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

There IS a rationale for starting low and going higher at a Combined Test.

In a Combined Test, the same horse/rider pair can compete at TWO levels. If you are, for instance, going to do both the Novice CT and the Training CT, it makes sense to do Novice first, then Training.

But it is a pain for the show jumping course designer/builder/jump crew. It is MUCH easier to take fences (e.g. the third element of a triple ) OUT than to put them IN.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

OT, but congratulations, Janet, on now being a TD.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Congratulations Janet!! That's a fantastic achievement.

I would guess at MCTA is has to do with the fact that Nov/Prelim are Saturday and Adv/Int/Training are Sunday - that way for they can run Novice showjumping, add in the fences for Prelim...and just leave them for Advanced and Intermediate Sunday morning - rather than set Prelim showjumping Sat AM, take out a bunch of stuff for Novice, then have to put it all back for the Advanced horses on Sunday AM...that's a lot of show jumps to drag around!
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    Congratulations Janet!! That's a fantastic achievement.
    Thanks.

Now I just need to get HIRED as a TD!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Agree with GotSpots, and I was recently wondering (and grumbling) about this very trend; I have a number of students who are just starting out in the sport (as well as some inexperienced horses), and they need as *much* extra time as possible to settle themselves in, not to mention prepare. The higher levels running earlier in the day just makes sense, for all the reasons mentioned.

Obviously I see the logic in it when it comes to CTs...

Congratulations, Janet!!! And are you kidding me about getting hired?, any HT in Area 2 would be damn lucky to have you!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Another factor I've seen is earlier in the day creates a greater sun angle, more shadows and odd light sometimes making certain fences harder for the horses to read.

I've noticed that they schedule this way at Richland. And, it's one of the rare events in our state that has *real* spectators (not just friends and family that are dragged there)!! Anyway--I do not know, but I suspect that they do this so that the higher levels are running while most of the spectators will be there.