The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

We lucked out on the weather again (although we desperately need some rain!)

Saturday morning started off chilly, cloudy and windy. I arrived at Mt Sterling Farm about 5 minutes prior to the gate staff collecting general admission [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Fired up the oven and began to set up our "tailgate".

Our dog, Grizzles, began to get excited days in advance when the coolers came up from the basement. By Saturday morning she was in a frenzy. I went to collect the RV and backed it up in front of our townhouse to load up and Grizzles began to quiver all over from hearing the reverse warning beeper.

When I opened the front door, the dog made a beeline for the RV and postitioned herself under the table laying as low and small as she could!

I loaded up all the goodies and said goodbye to Mr. Wings (he had to work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ) and off we went, ETBW and dog.

Casanova races are wonderful, important things like the ratio of clean portapotties/people and liberal placement of trash cans makes for a pleasant outing. The course is quite rambling and you have to leg it around quite a bit to see all of the fences but the hike is well worth it.

Go Dog Go was the first BBer to arrive at the RV, followed by Clive's Mom (and Mr. Clive's Mom) and Harry, the JRT. As soon as the sun came out and the day warmed up, HN73 and Mr. HN73 showed up, complete with a brand new truck!

Now, you know I have loads of pictures and you will have to follow the events of the weekend so bear with me as I post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

We lucked out on the weather again (although we desperately need some rain!)

Saturday morning started off chilly, cloudy and windy. I arrived at Mt Sterling Farm about 5 minutes prior to the gate staff collecting general admission [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Fired up the oven and began to set up our "tailgate".

Our dog, Grizzles, began to get excited days in advance when the coolers came up from the basement. By Saturday morning she was in a frenzy. I went to collect the RV and backed it up in front of our townhouse to load up and Grizzles began to quiver all over from hearing the reverse warning beeper.

When I opened the front door, the dog made a beeline for the RV and postitioned herself under the table laying as low and small as she could!

I loaded up all the goodies and said goodbye to Mr. Wings (he had to work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ) and off we went, ETBW and dog.

Casanova races are wonderful, important things like the ratio of clean portapotties/people and liberal placement of trash cans makes for a pleasant outing. The course is quite rambling and you have to leg it around quite a bit to see all of the fences but the hike is well worth it.

Go Dog Go was the first BBer to arrive at the RV, followed by Clive's Mom (and Mr. Clive's Mom) and Harry, the JRT. As soon as the sun came out and the day warmed up, HN73 and Mr. HN73 showed up, complete with a brand new truck!

Now, you know I have loads of pictures and you will have to follow the events of the weekend so bear with me as I post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Early in the program was the foxhunters challenge (I think that was the name, I didn't get a program when I snuck the RV in)

The horses just keep going by [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The lovely horses circling in the paddock area gives you a chance to see them up close.

Sometimes I think the hardest part of the race is when the jockeys get thrown up onto the circling horses! Imagine getting on a fast moving carousel [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For those of you who haven't seen the start of a steeplechase, the horses circle round and round under the starters orders until the call goes out "One more time". The circle flattens out and all horses turn towards the starting "line" (between two officials) and, if all is well, the flag goes down and they are off!

Thanks, ETBW, for the report and pictures. Yowza, I want that No. 3 horse!

I enjoyed many Casanova (and other) races when I lived in NoVa, and the pics really brought back wonderful memories. Maybe next year I'll try to get down there and join you. I miss Virginia!!!
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

The hurdle races are shorter and much faster as the horses know they can "brush" through the tops of the hurdles.

Timber races are over solid obstacles and frequently are two miles long. These horses know they must clear the jumps!

You rarely see horses switch the type of race they are in as a timber horse would lose a lot of time by giving a hurdle a good clearance while a hurdle horse would not find those post and rails very forgiving. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Naturally, we were returning to our base of operations between races to refresh our drinks and snack on scrumptious treats.

The bugle calling the next race was our cue to hurry back up to the rail for another flurry of activity.

HN73 and Mr. HN73 appeared and proudly introduced their new toy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I do get in some of the photos! HN73 and ETBW complete with COTH caps [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The horses can't help it if the riders come off, they stay on course and try their hearts out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Go Dog Go and HN73 settled down to rehash plans for Sunday [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sorry I didn't see too many of you at FPP on Sunday. We were busy riding around for 2 1/2 hours and completely exhausting ourselves!

I did get to meet Applesauce and Mr. Applesauce (who, THANKYOU! kept Mr. Clive's Mom occupied while I was out galavanting around).

Ack! My arms hurt from all that riding.
    Whoever made the Peep Potato Salad - You MUST MUST MUST post the recipe!

- C

I need the recipe, whoever made them! Mr. Wings and I discovered them last night and had them with leftover chili, fabulous!

We met so many friends, prior FFP attendees, new faces to put with names from the BB [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Our parties are good, we even had a clown!

Mr. Clive's Mom was standing by a trailer holding a lovely horse [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The camera was in someone else's hands at the moment, though.

Keeping with COTH traditions, Easter Peeps were there along with the nametags. I had used the envelope as a warning to those who would park too near the rear of the RV on Saturday [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

There was a Peep Cake! We had so much to eat, one picnic table had to be designated for desserts, another for snacks and munchies while the folding tables were set up by the RV and laden down with Chili, Barbecue, PeepsPotato Salad, cole slaw, marinated beans, etc.

Seven layer dip, cheesy baked olives, chips, vegies and dip, crackers, a huge variety of cheeses, humus, bread sticks, etc.

The BBers came through in fine form with delightful treats to sustain us throughout the day.

Thanks so much for being the food coordinator and provider extra-ordinaire (ok, can't spell that word!)!

My son gushed over the "sloppy joes", the BBQ you had there.

Pockets is ultra cute, taller than my Tinker...the original Thelwell Pony design, but what is it w/ ponies? They are SO herdbound to their big horses<G>. Tink called and called for my big horses in the trailer, and when Pockets was separated from Wings, he was screaming a bit too!

We had a superb time, where are the pictures?

SFVA