The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default chickens and horses a ??????

well my hisband decided to get chickens! just brought home 15 of them - we know nothing about chickens and I can only recall someone telling me that chicken carry lice and can infect the horses! Notice I am more concerned about lice on the horses than the people haha!

Do chickens carry lice? What do you put on them to keep them from carrying lice?

Have read the other threads and didnt see anything specific about lice.

Any suggestions of where to find info in general would be great!
    Have googled some sights already - what't the best?

Thanks!

Lice are species specific, and while a chicken louse may take a bite out of you, a horse, a cow or the resident pet, they will not live on anything but a chicken; they won't even take up residence on other barnyard fowl. Keeping the chicken house clean and well bedded (we used a combination of peat moss and straw) and never had one lousy chicken, some lousy cattle at various times but not chickens and never a lousy horse. You powder chickens the same as anything else with lice and don't eat the eggs during treatment, so they say.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The concern with chickens around horses was salmonella.

As long as your horses aren't ingesting chicken poop or feed contaminated with it there should not be a problem.

To prevent lice,fleas, etc in my chicken coop I clean out the bedding (pine shavings) annually, dust the floor & roosts with Sevin and put down fresh bedding.
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; May. 3, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Some of the show chicken people put a spray of Adams (dog flea and tick stuffs) on the base of their chickens necks under their feathers to discourage parasites, so if you were really worried about it, you could try that, or ask around on Backyard Chickens.

But, what sk-pacer said it right.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

+1 on sk-pacer.

Letting the chickens have access to a dust bath (which can be as simple as letting them out so they can go back their own in the dirt) REALLY keeps down all sorts of parasites. And they enjoy it!

You will notice the chickens have lice when the scales on their feet lift up instead of being smooth.

Welcome to chicken keeping
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Frankly, I'm MUCH more concerned about your husband just coming home with 15 chickens & neither one of you knows anything about their care & well-being. Do you know what to feed them? Do they have proper housing & containment? Or did your husband just come home & dump them out in your yard expecting them to just take care of themselves?

Chicken lice getting on your houses (ain't gonna happen, by the way) should be the very least of your concerns right now.

Default whoa bacardi!

you dont need to worry - we currently have guinea hens - a nice flock but they dont lay very good eggs - we got them to control the disgusting tick outbreak around here. and yes my husband got all the equipment: he has a brooder (sp?), feed, little pen, waterer, bedding, and has been reading about chicks. also, our barn helper has chickens - they have been in deep discussion - just leaving me out of the loop cause i always heard that chickens carry lice!! so while i am not knowledgeable my hubby is! he just finally took the plunge.

no cavalier attitude towards animal care here !!

cheers!

Thanks so much for letting me know!!!

Unfortunately, over the years I've been subject to SO many acquaintances doing just what I said. Impulse buying a bunch of chicks or older chickens & just dumping them out thinking they can fend for themselves. No interest, no research, no housing, no feed - NOTHING. They either get pissed off when they realize they actually have to DO something to raise the birds, or pissed off that it's going to cost them some time & $$, or pissed off when they die because they didn't do anything, etc., etc. I probably have a permanent dent in my forehead from banging it against the wall.

Glad to hear you're doing things right. Spring-time seems to be the grand high pooh-bah time of impulse chicken-buying. My toes just automatically start to curl when someone says "I just (or hubby just, or daughter just, etc., etc.) bought a bunch of chickens" - lol!

Default i know what you mean!

we are chicken-virgins - newest members of the crew around here but they willl be well taken care of!

Chickens are not complicated.

Compared to horses they're like pet rocks
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Actually, so long as you're interested enough, care enough, do enough research, & are willing to do the necessary work, very few animals are "complicated".

Bacardi - I did just that last year. I had contemplated the idea of having chickens for a few years, decided I would get some last spring. I did a ton of reading before I got them, but I did do the "Honey, I just came home with a dozen chicks" thing. Now that number is a bit larger. It worked out just fine.. I had six weeks or so before I needed a coop, and hubby rose to the challenge admirably. Compared to horses, chickens are a breeze.
    I agree...cats, dogs, chickens, horses...whatever. NOthing irks me more than people who rush out and get an animal because it's cute but the second it starts to be work they want out.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Chickens are not complicated.

Compared to horses they're like pet rocks
    Good answer

We have had chickens around the barn off and on for years never had any issues with the horses. They don’t seem to do well with barn cats though. You will see them at some race tracks. If your barn has roosting, almost wrote roasting, places above your stalls they will “mess” on your horse’s backs. And some horses get skin reactions.

Question

Oh, how fun! Bastile, you have given me courage... I've been reading and reading and reading for 2 years. Now, I'm going to take the plunge. From the local UFA, they are sold in bunches of 24 as day olds and arrive on Tuesday. They're supposed to be sexed as I prefer all pullets.

Gumtree, can you define the cat comment? Do you mean the chickens will be hunted down by cats? Or that the chickens will run after the cat? We have 1 lonely barn cat (we used to have 6, but ...) Periodically, she gets a visit from the neighbor's cat. I'm also rather concerned about the various canids roaming wild, let alone the owls and hawks.
    Last edited by rodawn; May. 5, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!