The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Default A Very Important Lesson To Be Learned....

Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The same happened last fall here.
    The family dog was sleeping on the sofa, the mother fell asleep sitting theere, the weeks old baby on it's bassinet on the floor.
    The mother woke up as the dog was dragging the baby around and around by it's head.
    The baby died.

Dogs don't know what a baby is, looks just like a big squeaky toy, like the ones they play and shred.

How terribly tragic. Sending best wishes that the baby recovers fully and has no memory of the attack.

Will JRTs now be added to the list of "banned" breeds? Goes to show that any dog can bite. The little ones often will bite more quickly than larger dogs from my experience. (Love JRTs ... not picking on them.) My chihuahua is more likely to bite than my Doberman. Just saying.

Again, healing thoughts with this family. How horrible.

This is why, if I have kids, their rooms will be off-limits for pets, and I'll do my best to never leave them alone/even slightly unattended near animals. It's just asking for trouble - I know someone who was bitten by the loving family dog in front of his own parents when a baby. The dog was jealous of the little attention-thief, apparently, and attacked the kid when he was on the floor near the dog. Thankfully, the kid wasn't permanently harmed (no scars even), the dog got training and some more attention, and kid was never left unattended near the dog till he was old enough to be part of the dog's "pack." Then they became best friends, of course.

Gah. Poor family - but I'm glad the kid is alive still. Too bad for the dog, but killing it was the only correct response, and might have been court-ordered eventually. Hope everyone recovers okay, that's gotta be tough on a young family.

Husky dog in Calgary last year - trusted family pet - killed a newborn. So tragic.
    While rare, more common than we would like to think.

How can an infant be bitten 30 times and nobody hear it? I have a 3 month old and he can sure use his lungs even when he is NOT hurt(and when he was getting his IVs at the ER boy you could hear him all over the place.... and im sure a dog bite hurts more than and IV!) I cant even imagine the sounds a baby would make getting bitten by a dog.... and why was the baby even far enough away from the baby for the dog to get 30 bites in?! I just dont even.....
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

There will be no investigation. But I would lay odds that there was more going on with mom. Can a mother really NOT hear a baby shrieking if she's just sleeping normally?

I don't blame the dad for shooting the dog, but once again a dog falls victim to its owners' neglect, ignorance, stupidity, carelessness. Likely the baby will never have a memory of the event, but will grow up afraid of dogs because everyone will remind him "A dog almost KILLED you!"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Poor baby. I agree, you need to supervise any dog around an infant. But it's kind of obvious that 99% of dogs, even if unsupervised, don't attempt to eat/shake/kill the family baby, so I wonder what the reason is some individuals do it and some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFarm View Post
    Will JRTs now be added to the list of "banned" breeds? Goes to show that any dog can bite. The little ones often will bite more quickly than larger dogs from my experience. (Love JRTs ... not picking on them.) My chihuahua is more likely to bite than my Doberman. Just saying.
    Well, that was a land speed record for pityjacking.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Poor baby. I agree, you need to supervise any dog around an infant. But it's kind of obvious that 99% of dogs, even if unsupervised, don't attempt to eat/shake/kill the family baby, so I wonder what the reason is some individuals do it and some don't.

Well, that was a land speed record for pityjacking.
    Can I get a choice of maulers? I would like the Chi.

How can you not know this sort of thing is happening? Good gravy.

Anyway, I'd think that anyone who owns a dog, cat, horse, donkey, what have you, should be vigilant especially at the beginning until you have some history of behavior behind you with your kids and your critters.

Is it awful of me to be so thankful that it wasn't a PB featured this time? Our family has a lovely PB and I get so tired of the way that it seems only the bully breeds are often "reported".

I never got bitten by a PB in 10 years working in a clinic. Never got charged at, never had an aggressive situation with one. But I sure did with lots of small breeds as well as retrievers and GSDs. Funny though, the only two critters that ever really made contact and hurt me were A) a ginormous iguana B) a cat I was giving an enema to who ended up biting my finger down to the bone.

And in my effort to be objective about dogs....I have been attacked by dogs outside of a professional environment while on horseback. PBs....but I just feel like a lot of these dog attacks are about the people involved or the situation and not just the breed.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I think this society has lost a ton of objectivity about dogs and pets in general.

There was a time when hardly anyone thought if the dog as the same as a human member of the family. They were either a really good dog or just a dog. Still a dog and treated as such. Clear status difference between the humans and the dogs.

Now the dogs often get treated like human infants until they are replaced. Dicey.

I would think in the case it would be a loud attack, it does seem weird that anyone could sleep right through it.

When I worked for a vet many moons ago, I was more afraid of certain kitty cats than any of the dogs.
    It seems like common sense that no one should leave a baby on the floor and/or unattended around any animals. Most pets won't do anything, but they have minds of their own and there are no guarantees. But still we hear these kinds of stories. At least the baby isn't dead.

ETA: That's a good point cowboymom. Many pets are "the baby" until a new intruder comes along.