The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My cat is a savage killer who must be stopped

My "barn" cat is a total fail. He has yet to score a single mouse and prefers to take out lizards and birds. Oh well, he is not the first (nor last I expect) critter on our farm to fail in its intended role.

He's pretty much transitioned to a house cat and his savage nature has been revealed. He is single-minded slayer of ..... (wait for it) toilet paper rolls. The first one or two was comical but now I'm annoyed.

I chastised him the one time I caught him in the act, so now he's taken it on the down low. I suppose I could hide all the TP in drawers and such, but with frequent guests that's not really practical.

Any tips to break this otherwise perfect and much loved cat of his TP serial killing ways?
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I have a house cat that sneeks outside and WATCHES the rats run around has done for 6 years. I actually would leave her out all night except for the large snakes that also Watch the rats.. really true story she doesn't understand why I want her in each night.

Squash the roll so it's oval not round-then it won't spin as well. Also, put them in under, not over -also won't spin as well. Finally; give him a roll of paper towels instead.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

I wish I knew the answer to this one - the cat and the dog destroy toilet paper rolls in our house! We tried squishing them, putting them on "backwards" so they wouldn't unroll when spun, and just setting them on the back of the toilet - they'd always be unwound, chewed, and shredded. Looked like it snowed in the house.

We finally gave up and got some of those toilet paper roll holder thingys - the little cylindrical boxes with tight-fitting lids - and now the TP lives there. It's a bit of a pain, but even our three small children can navigate the boxes and since they're a fairly familiar place to stash TP, guests can figure out where it is.

But if someone can come up with a way to train the darned critters not to destroy the stuff in the first place, I'd love to hear it!

I gave up. My house has locks on every cabinet, and all TP is kept in the locked cabinet under the sink. It comes out for use, goes immediately back in. Before this, I tried all sorts of things including caddies, which the Siamese discovered in 1 day how to open, and putting a big rubber band around the roll so it would not unroll at all. Nope; cats were quite happy to destruct around the rubber band without unrolling.

I have few guests out here in Timbuctoo, but I have learned already to go immediately into the bathroom behind them. Even if you explain where the TP is and why it is there, and even if they are amused at this and promise to return it, they somehow forget about that in the 2 minutes it takes them to do their business.

Keep him out of the bathroom? It can be a pain, but our cats have learned to not enter our bedroom (they like to play over us at night and we're both light sleepers, and bf becomes very allergic if hair/dander gets on his face) and will actually sit by the door, playing as they wait for us to emerge, even with the door open.

But like I said - took a while, and definitely was heartbreaking at first when they wanted to cuddle at night and we shut the door in their faces. We just got them lots of wonderful toys and now they don't care so much where we are at night - too busy darting around the apartment, chasing down their errant toys and jumping on each other.

I believe that make metal covers that flip down over the toilet paper roll. They use this in older RV's or travel trailers that don't have a separate shower, so the entire bathroom is the shower and everything has to be protected from the water.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Hehe. I also have a TP killer.

I thought I solved the problem by keeping the bathroom doors closed. Then one of my other cats learned how to open doors.

So I have now figured out that having the TP out, but not on the holder is okay and he will not shred. It can be sitting on the vanity, on the back of the toilet, even sitting on its side on top of the TP holder itself. 95% of the time he won't mess with it.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My toilet paper rolls live in the linen closets or under the sink for exactly this reason.
    Guests so far have understood.

Now if I could only get the eff cats to stop opening the medicine cabinet and strewing the contents all over the place.

Oh my I'm not sensing much hope in reforming him. This morning's offerings were a tail-less lizard and a confetti-ed roll of Quilted Northern.

I thought putting it on the holder would slow him down, but he LOVES the roller action. At least the mess is localized when it's on the roller which is better than finding confetti bombs under the dining room table and elsewhere.

I guess putting it in cabinets/drawers is the answer. Thanks!

I might be missing something, but why can't you just close the bathroom doors, even when unoccupied?

I also have a barn-cat failure. Loves the high-wire act on the roundpen roof etc to get to the birds.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    I might be missing something, but why can't you just close the bathroom doors, even when unoccupied?
    That's the solution here. Bathroom doors are kept closed. End of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    That's the solution here. Bathroom doors are kept closed. End of problem.
    Some people keep the litter box in the bathroom.

It doesn't do much good if you don't let the cat access it.

He is shut out of two of the three bathrooms, but my bathroom has the door that is left open to provide outside access for my Great Dane (giant dog/tiny bladder) at night. The adventures of sleeping with an open door are a whole other thread by the way.

Anywho, I'll just stick the TP in a drawer in that bathroom and be done with it.

My sister has to hide her toilet paper in the bathroom cabinet, otherwise her cat will happy chew it to pieces and shred it all over the apartment. The first time she came home, she found he had unrolled almost the whole thing from her bathroom all the way to the front door. He looked mighty pleased with himself and his accomplishment.

So now that the toilet paper is put away, he has focused his talents on eating her toilet seat cover.

How this cat has not died yet from a stomach/intestine blockage, I have no clue...
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Here you go. Works well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJ4CEPMCMAY

or this one is more protective, but more expensive

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIoCEPMCMAI
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I stopped my puppy from doing it by dribbling the TP with tabasco ... but you gotta make sure you don't use THAT roll to wipe with LOL