The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    This reminds me of a hilarious conversation I had with a small-animal vet one time about the necessity of rabies vaccination for my ancient, sedentary, indoor only cats.
    I said, "C'mon, there's absolutely ZERO exposure."

    He told me there had been a case (wanna bet THIS is an "urban legend?") where a BAT flew down a chimney and bit somebody.

    I said, OK, but what are the ODDS? Ever since I've always borne in mind that possibility and probability are seldom the same number . . . but I keep the flue closed!



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,538

    Default

    Guess today I'm a little sensitive to the rabies thing.

    Yesterday, a friend was at the neighbors while they were away. She came outside and I thought she was on the phone, but actually, she was holding a few pieces of ice to her face where one of the cats attacked her. He sliced open the right nostril, outside with a claw and inside the nostril with his teeth. With the other foot/claws, he lacerated her upper lip below her nose. She was a hot mess and it was incredibly painful.

    the cats are not current on their rabies

    you guessed it, because they are indoor cats only.

    which won't matter if she has to see a doctor.

    edit: she was babysitting.....



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2005
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    Guess today I'm a little sensitive to the rabies thing.

    Yesterday, a friend was at the neighbors while they were away. She came outside and I thought she was on the phone, but actually, she was holding a few pieces of ice to her face where one of the cats attacked her. He sliced open the right nostril, outside with a claw and inside the nostril with his teeth. With the other foot/claws, he lacerated her upper lip below her nose. She was a hot mess and it was incredibly painful.

    the cats are not current on their rabies

    you guessed it, because they are indoor cats only.

    which won't matter if she has to see a doctor.

    edit: she was babysitting.....
    I can understand being sensitive and I know it is always bad to be on the receiving end of a cat swat. But you know that your friend is only at risk for rabies if the animal is rabid, right?. Those indoor cats wouldn't be in that category unless they've been exposed to some really bizarre circumstances. And further if those cats have been vaccinated at some point their rabies titer could very well be more than adequate (and no for the record I am not a no vaccine vigilante, but that is a point of fact to consider). That doesn't mean your friend shouldn't stay on top of the cat scratch but rabies is probably not the concern.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2005
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    This reminds me of a hilarious conversation I had with a small-animal vet one time about the necessity of rabies vaccination for my ancient, sedentary, indoor only cats.
    I said, "C'mon, there's absolutely ZERO exposure."

    He told me there had been a case (wanna bet THIS is an "urban legend?") where a BAT flew down a chimney and bit somebody.

    I said, OK, but what are the ODDS? Ever since I've always borne in mind that possibility and probability are seldom the same number . . . but I keep the flue closed!
    I laugh because someone told me this story when I was in 4th grade when we lived in Washington State...never forgot it though and I keep the flue closed too!



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr. 1, 2008
    Posts
    4,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ljcfoh View Post
    I can understand being sensitive and I know it is always bad to be on the receiving end of a cat swat. But you know that your friend is only at risk for rabies if the animal is rabid, right?. Those indoor cats wouldn't be in that category unless they've been exposed to some really bizarre circumstances. And further if those cats have been vaccinated at some point their rabies titer could very well be more than adequate (and no for the record I am not a no vaccine vigilante, but that is a point of fact to consider). That doesn't mean your friend shouldn't stay on top of the cat scratch but rabies is probably not the concern.
    the physicians (if she goes or went, haven't seen her since) may insist on precautionary innoculations if they aren't current.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb. 25, 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    2,672

    Default

    I was told that if the cat, indoors or not, bites someone, and that someone goes to a medical facility, they could insist on taking that cat (if it is not up on rabies vaccinations). They could euthanize the cat while they test the head for rabies. I think that is generally true out here anyway, so I have my indoor guys vaccinated although they are at virtually zero risk (except a lost bat!!)



Similar Threads

  1. Barn or Indoor/Outdoor Cats Seeking Home - WA
    By caffeinated in forum Giveaways
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 9, 2012, 04:05 PM
  2. Indoor Cats and Housekeepers
    By Herbie19 in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May. 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
  3. Do indoor only cats need flea control?
    By oliverreed in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May. 1, 2012, 11:27 PM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: Oct. 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
  5. indoor cats - remedial litter box training
    By Larissa in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Sep. 2, 2010, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness