The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I disagree completely with Bluey. IMO, Weimaraners are no more difficult than any other large hound-like dog, including Dalmatians. But, as I said, my personal experience is limited to a brother and sister pair, and the brother wasn't much into people pleasing.

If they weren't trainable they couldn't be bird dogs.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Have you ever looked at this site; http://www.segsprescue.org/

Harley's pretty cute !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I disagree completely with Bluey. IMO, Weimaraners are no more difficult than any other large hound-like dog, including Dalmatians. But, as I said, my personal experience is limited to a brother and sister pair, and the brother wasn't much into people pleasing.

If they weren't trainable they couldn't be bird dogs.
    I will explain what I meant, that is they are trainable for tasks, but to live with them, they tend to be a bit of a loose cannon when young.
    In every day life, their household manners are not the best unless trained very carefully.
    As a breed generalization, other than some exceptions, they are not as easy as the other two breeds mentioned.

There are not that many weimeraners around here, but we have had enough over the years to see they are not easygoing or wimpy dogs, more the strong bull in a china closet type growing up, both sexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Have you ever looked at this site; http://www.segsprescue.org/

Harley's pretty cute !

you don't have to audition for enabler, just join the fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have always had at least one GSP in my life, for as long as I can remember. They are a "full time" dog. If left to their own devices they will get in to trouble. They are generally energetic loonies until the age of 4, and will outrun, outhunt, outplay, anything on 4 legs, all day. They can also be very mellow when kept exercised. My current guy, Fergus (6), comes to work with me and his terrier buddy every day, and spends the time alternating between his bed and the dog-run.Time at home is spent in the pasture and barn. He loves to hunt the bunnies at bush hogging time, and sings like a hound when running one. Like any high energy dog they don't do well when forced to live the urban life.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I have always had at least one GSP in my life, for as long as I can remember. They are a "full time" dog. If left to their own devices they will get in to trouble. They are generally energetic loonies until the age of 4, and will outrun, outhunt, outplay, anything on 4 legs, all day. They can also be very mellow when kept exercised. My current guy, Fergus (6), comes to work with me and his terrier buddy every day, and spends the time alternating between his bed and the dog-run.Time at home is spent in the pasture and barn. He loves to hunt the bunnies at bush hogging time, and sings like a hound when running one. Like any high energy dog they don't do well when forced to live the urban life.
    This is an excellent description -- GSPs can out run and out play my Vizsla in about 5 minutes. However, my friend's who lives an urban life but it is extremely well exercised, thoroughly enjoyed living with us on the farm for a week. But even on the farm, he's constant activity and seems to do best with continuous supervision -- left to his own devices I am pretty sure he could be in the next county before I could even notice! And also, much like my Vizsla, he is VERY people oriented and very attached to his people.

The long and the short of it is, none of the breeds mentioned here are part-time dogs. Each is a full time, full on responsibility with their own individual strengths and weaknesses. So OP, have fun selecting the one right for you!