The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,562

    Default

    I disagree completely with Bluey. IMO, Weimaraners are no more difficult than any other large hound-like dog, including Dalmatians. But, as I said, my personal experience is limited to a brother and sister pair, and the brother wasn't much into people pleasing.

    If they weren't trainable they couldn't be bird dogs.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,667

    Default

    Have you ever looked at this site; http://www.segsprescue.org/

    Harley's pretty cute !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I disagree completely with Bluey. IMO, Weimaraners are no more difficult than any other large hound-like dog, including Dalmatians. But, as I said, my personal experience is limited to a brother and sister pair, and the brother wasn't much into people pleasing.

    If they weren't trainable they couldn't be bird dogs.
    I will explain what I meant, that is they are trainable for tasks, but to live with them, they tend to be a bit of a loose cannon when young.
    In every day life, their household manners are not the best unless trained very carefully.
    As a breed generalization, other than some exceptions, they are not as easy as the other two breeds mentioned.

    There are not that many weimeraners around here, but we have had enough over the years to see they are not easygoing or wimpy dogs, more the strong bull in a china closet type growing up, both sexes.



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Have you ever looked at this site; http://www.segsprescue.org/

    Harley's pretty cute !


    you don't have to audition for enabler, just join the fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    14,667

    Default

    I have always had at least one GSP in my life, for as long as I can remember. They are a "full time" dog. If left to their own devices they will get in to trouble. They are generally energetic loonies until the age of 4, and will outrun, outhunt, outplay, anything on 4 legs, all day. They can also be very mellow when kept exercised. My current guy, Fergus (6), comes to work with me and his terrier buddy every day, and spends the time alternating between his bed and the dog-run.Time at home is spent in the pasture and barn. He loves to hunt the bunnies at bush hogging time, and sings like a hound when running one. Like any high energy dog they don't do well when forced to live the urban life.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2005
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I have always had at least one GSP in my life, for as long as I can remember. They are a "full time" dog. If left to their own devices they will get in to trouble. They are generally energetic loonies until the age of 4, and will outrun, outhunt, outplay, anything on 4 legs, all day. They can also be very mellow when kept exercised. My current guy, Fergus (6), comes to work with me and his terrier buddy every day, and spends the time alternating between his bed and the dog-run.Time at home is spent in the pasture and barn. He loves to hunt the bunnies at bush hogging time, and sings like a hound when running one. Like any high energy dog they don't do well when forced to live the urban life.
    This is an excellent description -- GSPs can out run and out play my Vizsla in about 5 minutes. However, my friend's who lives an urban life but it is extremely well exercised, thoroughly enjoyed living with us on the farm for a week. But even on the farm, he's constant activity and seems to do best with continuous supervision -- left to his own devices I am pretty sure he could be in the next county before I could even notice! And also, much like my Vizsla, he is VERY people oriented and very attached to his people.

    The long and the short of it is, none of the breeds mentioned here are part-time dogs. Each is a full time, full on responsibility with their own individual strengths and weaknesses. So OP, have fun selecting the one right for you!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: Apr. 7, 2013, 07:05 PM
  2. Calling all chicken people Calling all Chicken People Need your help!
    By classicsporthorses in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr. 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
  3. Calling NC horse people...
    By GoGrnRideIrish in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 25, 2012, 08:12 AM
  4. Calling all sidesaddle people..
    By Softskills in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
  5. Replies: 42
    Last Post: Aug. 1, 2009, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness