The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rolex 2012 - Helmet Cam Analysis - Payne and Running Order

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That is awesome!! Thanks for the link!

Just saw this on FB, absolutely a great video and love the commentary

Thanks for the link. Doug is one of my favorite up and coming riders. I did not know that Running Order is only 10. Hopefully, he will be great horse for Doug for many more years.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

I love this video...and a lot of what Doug produces and puts on his blog. He is a fantastic rider and an equally good businessman. His commentary was enlightening...and I smiled every time he kept mentioning how cool it was to have a crowd cheer for you. It was like he almost couldn't believe it himself. I can't imagine how awesome that would be...but I almost got to live it with him as he rode.

Fantastic!

What a treat!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

WOW

this was awesome. *Almost* makes me want to try cross country, although I am a super weenie and fences that DO come down scare me enough, lol.

I loved him likening his horse to a 12 year old with ADD on speed, lol. He has some great commentary.

Wasn't Doug Payne the one who posted the helmet cam vid of him coming off some catch ride a few months ago too at an indoor event? I remember cracking up at that video.

Seriously cool!

I had to look back at my Rolex pix to see what Doug (#24) looked like on course as I didn't see any bulky video equipment. You can barely see anything hooked up here: image of Doug Payne (#24) on course. (I don't recall which fence this was, but you can see the inflation cord going to his vest)

It's a shame his sister (#25) was eliminated on course Holly looked solid when she came by the fence I was at.

Very cool! I can't imagine how nervous Marilyn Payne (his mom) was having TWO of her children on course at the same time. And I got to meet ACMEventing! Another treat.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Very cool! I can't imagine how nervous Marilyn Payne (his mom) was having TWO of her children on course at the same time. And I got to meet ACMEventing! Another treat.
    And I got to meet the very engaging and delightful Riderboy, the smart and beautiful Gryhrse, and the OTTB guru JudyBigRedPony! Wish I could have met more COTHers, but the day just got away from me.

In fact, I was thinking of starting a "Who did you meet at Rolex?" thread.
    Last edited by ACMEeventing; May. 3, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.

I met WFP - he was walking through the trade fair thingy. that was fun...

Ran into BuddyRoo

Tried to meet up with DeltaWave, but, every time I got there she was off doing something.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    And I got to meet the very engaging and delightful Riderboy, the smart of beautiful Gryhrse, and the OTTB guru JudyBigRedPony! Wish I could have met more COTHers, but the day just got away from me.

In fact, I was thinking of starting a "Who did you meet at Rolex?" thread.
    Judybigredpony was right behind us! How weird was that. Engaging and delightful? Well, as they say if you got it you can spot it! And of course, that goes for your kind words about Gryhrs.
    Last edited by riderboy; May. 3, 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Thanks for posting this! That was great to watch and listen to.
    I would have loved to hear it in real time (I love to hear the rider talk to his horse on course) but this was very informative.

The one thing about these helmet cam videos tho, they make the course look easier than it is and the fences smaller than in reality. When I went to Rolex I was having heart palpitations just walking the course and looking at some of those massive jumps! Especially those Trakehners and Weldon Walls. ((shudder)))
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Default Great video

I love seeing the helmet cam's - but this was the best with a play by play analysis. I've never met Doug - but as an xc jump judge at the Fork the last two years - I will never forget he was the ULR who stopped both years on couse walks to thank this smurf for volunteering.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Seriously cool!

I had to look back at my Rolex pix to see what Doug (#24) looked like on course as I didn't see any bulky video equipment. You can barely see anything hooked up here: image of Doug Payne (#24) on course. (I don't recall which fence this was, but you can see the inflation cord going to his vest)

It's a shame his sister (#25) was eliminated on course Holly looked solid when she came by the fence I was at.
    I was also impressed at how subtle the camera was. In fact, knowing that he records helmet cam videos a lot, I was looking to see if he was wearing it when he came by me at Rolex, and I didn't think he had one on!
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Love this video!
    It would have been neat for him to do a course walk video as well it would give a better perspective of just how massive those fences are! I remember walking it in 2009 when I was there as a groom, I think that was the moment I decide that I would never be a **** rider! Though I would love to Own a **** horse one day and head back to Rolex as an Owner!

Very good video, was all set to do one at Badminton, but the best laid plans can't predict the weather

Quote Originally Posted by casemonster View Post
    I love seeing the helmet cam's - but this was the best with a play by play analysis. I've never met Doug - but as an xc jump judge at the Fork the last two years - I will never forget he was the ULR who stopped both years on couse walks to thank this smurf for volunteering.

I have volunteered as a jump judge at 3 recognized events this spring. Literally hundreds of riders and coaches passed right next to me, and only one (the coach of a beginner novice rider) stopped to say "Thank you for volunteering". That one person made it worthwhile. Someone noticed that we were there and appreciated it.

We do not become fence judges, or dressage or SJ "runners" collecting score cards, for money or recognition, but because we want to see events in our area continue.

As you all walk your x/c courses, please remember that the jump judges do not have to be there. We do not have to give up an entire day to sit and watch horses come galloping by every 2 minutes.

A "thank you for volunteering" goes a long way toward making us want to volunteer the next time.
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I have volunteered as a jump judge at 3 recognized events this spring. Literally hundreds of riders and coaches passed right next to me, and only one (the coach of a beginner novice rider) stopped to say "Thank you for volunteering". That one person made it worthwhile. Someone noticed that we were there and appreciated it.

We do not become fence judges, or dressage or SJ "runners" collecting score cards, for money or recognition, but because we want to see events in our area continue.

As you all walk your x/c courses, please remember that the jump judges do not have to be there. We do not have to give up an entire day to sit and watch horses come galloping by every 2 minutes.

A "thank you for volunteering" goes a long way toward making us want to volunteer the next time.
    Good point LH. I volunteer when possible and always shout out a "thank you!" when I'm riding. Volunteers make this sport possible (and I tell my DH that every time I twist his arm to fence judge )
    Cotton would fight.