The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Qualification Query

Ok quick one...

Normally I'd call or email USEA, but it occurs to me that our rules gurus here can probably prove or disprove what my research has shown.

Ok here's the query. Am I considered to be what USEA terms a "Preliminary Qualified Rider?"

I'd like to maybe do a T3D with Lad this year. And while researching I was surprised pleasantly to see that USEA seems not to have any time frames on the Preliminary qualified status. Since I did compete at almost exclusively P and up from '93 onto '97 that is nice to see. I did some Prelims again in 2000 as well. But to say it's been a while is a serious understatement.

Now how it pertains to Lad and the T3d picture is only that it minimizes the number of events he would have to complete with NQR's to be eligible to compete.

This isn't to say I wouldn't do more... even up to the non-prelim qualified rider level of 4 preps. I very well might. But as planning processes go.. I like to know the least and most I have to do to be eligible.

So can anyone confirm if I am still a prelim qualified rider? And yes I will renew my membership shortly so I can be an active member as well.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I think once a preliminary rider, always a preliminary rider, however, above, you have to do so many in a two year period. However, the horse has to have 4 NQR trainings to do a TR3D if I am not mistaken. Which always made me wonder, because really, we can take a horse preliminary, but not a TR3D? I might be wrong, but I don't think so. Interesting to see what others say.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Not so Dee.

http://www.useventing.com/national-qualifications

To quote:

"Both the competitor and the horse must have obtained NQR’s at 4 Training Level Horse Trials or higher; 1 of the 4 Horse Trials must be as a horse/rider combination (horse and rider competed together). Competitors who are already established to compete at the Preliminary Level or higher, may compete on a horse that has obtained 2 NQR’s at the Training Level or higher"

Only 2 needed.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Which is something I've been meaning to nudge the 3 Day committee about a bit. If we're trying to keep the format alive and let lower level horses and riders experience the fun, challenge, and educational aspects of 3 Days, why are we erecting barriers to entry? Absolutely, successful prior completion of an event or two at the level by someone in the pair makes sense, but FOUR BN's or N's to do a three day at that level ?? Guaranteed way to keep the numbers down from where they could be.
    Maybe that's another topic, though.

Thx Emily. Great, we are qualified on a horse thought would need two more!
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Taking a look at the rules (and finding a lost post here), but you need to maintain your establishment at Preliminary by either 2 runs at training level in the 2 years after your last Prelim, or by running a Preliminary. Don't know your competitive history, but suspect there's a decent chance you're no longer established at Prelim if you've not competed at that level since 1997.

EV105 Qualifications.
    For certain levels of competition, horses and riders must meet qualifying requirements. Those
    requirements are detailed in Appendix 3.
    1. ESTABLISHMENT OF QUALIFICATION.
    When a horse and/or rider obtains a qualifying result (QR) at a level, then they are “established”
    (qualified to compete) at that level. This “establishment” lasts for the remainder of the current
    calendar year and the two succeeding calendar years. Note: Re-establishment as in paragraph 2
    (c) below is required when the time period has expired.
    2. EXTENSION OF ESTABLISHMENT (maintaining qualification)
    a. The “establishment” may be extended by obtaining QRs at other events of the same level
    within the time period stated above, each extension remaining effective for the remainder of
    the current calendar year and the succeeding calendar year.
    b. If no such extension is achieved, the “establishment” at that level expires.
    c. Establishment may be re-acquired by achieving 2 QRs at the next lower height level of
    competition within any 12 month period following loss of qualification.

I am on the phone with USEA as we speak.

GotSpots... gotta say I am hoping you're right. Seems kinda scary if I am still qualified. I mean I have lost some of my "guts" over the years and gained a lot of respect for smaller fences.

Yep. Usea confirmed what GotSpots said. Yay.

Good to know the truth and that the rules are set up well.

~Emily