The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb USDF Breeder Show Dates?

I am going crazy searching the USDF site for the page that lists the dates for the Breed Shows. I am sure it is in plain sight but I can't find it. Can someone post the URL for it? I would be forever grateful!!!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

http://www.usdf.org/calendar/competitions.asp

Choose your region and then look for the letter D under results as that indicates the show is offering Dressage Sport Horse Breeding classes.

Am I reading that right .......there arent any for region 2?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

http://www.usdf.org/calendar/competi...ePass=Breeders

Click Breeders Championships(BC)
    Then, click your region. Its not split up by region numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    Am I reading that right .......there arent any for region 2?
    USDF DSHB regions are different from the dressage competition regions, so there really isn't a "region 2" for DSHB.

DSHB regions are:
    • East Central
    • East Coast
    • Midstates
    • New England
    • Northwest
    • North Central
    • Rocky Mountain
    • Southeast
    • Southern
    • Southwest
    • West Coast
    • West Central

So you can go to this page and pick the appropriate region.
    http://www.usdf.org/calendar/competi...&YearPass=2012

Some of these shows don't get posted until mid summer, as it often takes a bit of convincing to get an organization to hold one. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have fallen by the wayside. They are a PIA to organize and run due to all the USEF regulations, they are too expensive for the organizer and competitors, and they are not well supported in some areas. I had heard there will not be DSHB shows in GA this year because neither of the GMOs that ran them in the past are interested in sponsoring an event that is only supported by a scant handful of competitors - it's a money losing operation.

Thanks everyone! WBLover11 that is the site I was trying to find. . Too bad about the Georgia shows. It seems the # of competitors is down for all the horse shows with the exception of the huge ones. One local Hunter/Jumper Show has been discontinued since last year. I hope something good happens with this economy and soon!!
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Holly, we have 3 shows in our area- all are in Batavia, Ohio at the Majestic Farms shows (formerly Paxton Farm). The last show is held during the regional finals, enabling those in our area to obtain the necessary number of 3 scores for the USDF year end awards. They stepped up to offer shows when no one else could. I hope to be there with my young stock to show my appreciation.

Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Cloverfox Stables

The show scene in the GA- FL area is really disappointing. Most (if not all) of the shows will be at a venue in the FL Panhandle that is in the middle of nowhere and has very limited stabling.

ML, the problem is that the only folks interested in these shows are the breeders. And they want to show at them, not organize them or work at them.

A good, well run DSHB show requires:
    • organizer
    • show secretary
    • judge
    • scribe
    • scorer
    • TD
    • EMT
    • announcer

All the above expect to be paid. Sometimes the organizer and show secretary is the same person, sometimes you can find an announcer willing to donate her time, but not always.

In addition to payment for services, many of the above expect to have their travel expenses covered (hotel/airfare/rental car/gas). And they all expect meals to be provided.

You also need a nice facility with foal safe stabling and fencing around the arena. Lots of close-by parking. Clean restrooms. PA system that can be heard in the rings and the barns. On site refreshments/food vendor. All this costs money, which comes out of the organizer’s pocket. And she sure as heck does not intend to lose money, which is what often happens with the smaller shows.

In addition, you need:
    • ring steward(s)
    • gate keeper(s)
    • awards organizer
    • photographer

This group of folks usually volunteers their time, but who wants to drive for hours to stand in the hot sun just so a few people can show their horses? Show organizers end up depending on family or friends of competitors, and those folks may not be up to the job for one reason or another (too young, too inexperienced, too disinterested, etc.) Furthermore, they are usually there to help out with the horses, or watch and have fun and not work.

And then EVERYIONE working at the show runs the risk of being fined by USEF for inadvertent rules infractions (yes, even volunteers get censored and fined by USEF!).

Believe me, I have worked at more than a few of these shows over the years. I have been asked time and again to either organize and run them, or be heavily involved with planning. They are fun to watch, I love seeing all the lovely mares and foals and young horses, etc., but as I said, they are a HUGE headache for everyone involved with running them – esp. the organizer who wants a fun and safe show but also doesn’t want to lose money doing it. I am pretty much of the mind these days that there isn't enough tea in China to entice me to get involved with them again.

Chris, you certainly don't need to tell me any of the above. I was one of the breeders who worked at shows, helped to plan and organize them, sponsored classes and support them with advertising, even when I had nothing to sell. I get it.

What disappoints me is that all the shows this year were given to a very small, very limited venue that is very out of the way, far from motels, etc and that has very few stalls. Those factors will make attendance at the finals quite problematic for many.

There are only 3 shows close to us. For me it is a 2-1/2 hr drive one way. The rest of the shows are in Michigan and Wisconsin. A much longer drive and one that I am unable to traverse three times for year end rights.

I am grateful for the 3 that we have close. We used to go to the Horse Park, but the KDA determinedthat the breed show was a money loser. They will accommodate those entries for Materiale classes if requested.

Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Peg-where did you see Breed Shows in Michigan? The closest I could find is Ohio and Wisconsin. They have the regions so screwy, maybe I need to look someplace I haven't. Waterloo always has a few shows and I couldn't find them.
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Get in touch with Sandy Hunt. There is a venue that is always advertised late,and the website name and his name escape my memory right now-.

On another note, I heard about an absolutely perfect colt that you bred. The staff at Amanda Ragon's clinic were gaga over him. Who is his sire?
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Thanks Peg, I'll contact Sandy. The colt is by Catoki out of my Contender mare. He is the nicest that I have bred so far. I hate to do my own bragging but he is one special boy.
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    The show scene in the GA- FL area is really disappointing. Most (if not all) of the shows will be at a venue in the FL Panhandle that is in the middle of nowhere and has very limited stabling.
    I agree...I wanted to take my boy to a few shows this summer. The panhandle is wayyyyy out of the way! At least we had the Young Horse Show Series
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Chris, you certainly don't need to tell me any of the above. I was one of the breeders who worked at shows, helped to plan and organize them, sponsored classes and support them with advertising, even when I had nothing to sell. I get it.

What disappoints me is that all the shows this year were given to a very small, very limited venue that is very out of the way, far from motels, etc and that has very few stalls. Those factors will make attendance at the finals quite problematic for many.
    I know, ML. I was just explaining all the obstacles for the other folks that maybe don't realize how much is involved in running these things.

Regarding the FL shows - did your local group apply to hold a show but was turned down by USEF/USDF because of the other shows? Aren't the other shows over 250 miles away?

I do not think the USDF/USEF would turn down any breed show applications.

If you do not get the COTH magazine, go over to the dressage forum and read the entire thread on why AA are vanishing. The question was about judges, but there are many factors. The economy being a major one.

Chris is absolutly correct. The amount of time, money and people needed to hold a breed show is daunting. She is also right about the volunteer issue, but add another factor- when a family member or friend of a competitor works at a show, they can be accused of conflict of interest- speaking from experience since it has happened to my husband and to me- in region 3. Show management is lucky to break even. Even with a good size entry--you need about 60 horses, not class entries, to meet that mark.
    The only way I see it getting done these days is being held in conjunction with a popular performance show.

Breeders have cut way back of the number of mares they breed due to the economy. I am speaking both as a mare owner and a person who stands a stallion here in the USA. So therefor, there are less horses to BE entered in these shows. This year is showing a very small upswing in breeding, but those foals will be born in 2013. By that time, many shows will have bit the dust because of small entries. Our loss

Then put the distances out there for most of us, I have to travel a minimum of 4 to 6 hours EACH WAY to get to one. If there is poor stabling or no local hotels, well that is a deal breaker after going the distance to get there and paying my hard earned $$ for the privledge of being put into the worst stalls on the property. A show I was planning on going to -8 hr away, just changed venues. I looked at photos of the stabling of the new facility and will not take the risk with a foal.
    I realize that breed classes are losses for management, but we also have the most delicate animals and the those that can find trouble without trying.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Most (if not all) of the shows will be at a venue in the FL Panhandle that is in the middle of nowhere and has very limited stabling.
    Are they not going to have the show at Canterbury again this year? Last year was my first DSHB show (the Sunshine Sporthorse DSHB show at Canterbury), and I had fun and hoped to give it a try again this year. Canterbury is a super facility and it was a really well run show, I guess I took for granted they'd do it again this year...

I have no interest in driving to the panhandle. Even less interest if it's the "middle of nowhere and has very limited stabling". Canterbury is a nice facility and a more centralized location.

I can think of at least three other breeder friends who were also hoping to do the DSHB show this year, assuming it was at Canterbury. We were thinking it would be cool to sort of go as a group, help each other, make it fun.

I also heard a rumor Silver Sands (New Smyrna Beach) will be having a DSHB show in conjunction with their dressage show? I hadn't looked into it yet.... The facility doesn't hold a candle to Canterbury though, and I don't love the stabling.
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

The shows in the Panhandle are 6 or 7 miles off the interstate. It is 10 miles to the nearest hotels (I think.. would have to drive it to make sure,might be less) although I will admit they are not "swanky" by any stretch of the imagination. There are nicer hotels in Marianna and that is 15 miles or so by interstate/back roads combo. We are 4 hours from G'ville and are on Central Time Zone, 4 1/2 hours from ATL (maybe 5 with a trailer depending on traffic). So is it a pain in the rear? yes, but you go where you have to go.

As for stabling - Willow Bend is not a huge, public facility like Conyers or even Canterbury. It is a private barn. There are (I think) 40 stalls now. They are permanent, safe, clean stalls. To my knowledge, while Mary Jane has always been wiling to hire in a tent for stalls if needed, she has never needed to have the tents in. If she gets the entries and needs tents, she can accomodate additional horses.

My understanding is that Mary Jane sent in the applications for her shows at the end of last year and was granted her shows (May June July - closing date for May is like now). Not sure how she got the finals at her place but it works for me LOL. Too bad I don't have anything that I'm showing in hand this year. She does ALL of her shows as a Dressage show first then has the breed stuff as a filler - and she started doing them when I asked her to.

I'm not saying it is perfect, but her shows aren't totally of the way and it fills a void over in this area for all of us that would otherwise have to travel 4 + hours to show. Not sure why there couldn't still be shows at Canterbury or anywhere else... (as a ps, she is getting some pretty decent judges in too ! )
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!