The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

This overload of information is not allowing anyone time to breath and adjust to the facts. People need a moment away from the television, from all of the awful details. They need to be able to reflect and assimilate. This media blitz is just pushing people past what they can tolerate and is creating worse problems.

Personally, I'm blaming them for the bomb scares. If they'd stop harping on them for just a minute, people wouldn't believe they could get attention by creating one. This is what they normal do. They ignore many of them, knowing how it impacts the public. For some reason they've gone beyond losing their moral compass--to shooting it out into deep space.

And I'm tired of them holding up their reporters as heroes. Did we REALLY need to see everything that close that they put themselves in harms way? And what about going to the bunker where the President landed to hide out. Ummm...gee...do you think THAT is a possible breach of security? And announcing where he'd gone so they could find him? Please!

Common sense is gone. The age of instant news is only increasing the scope of this tragedy.

JMHO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

This overload of information is not allowing anyone time to breath and adjust to the facts. People need a moment away from the television, from all of the awful details. They need to be able to reflect and assimilate. This media blitz is just pushing people past what they can tolerate and is creating worse problems.

Personally, I'm blaming them for the bomb scares. If they'd stop harping on them for just a minute, people wouldn't believe they could get attention by creating one. This is what they normal do. They ignore many of them, knowing how it impacts the public. For some reason they've gone beyond losing their moral compass--to shooting it out into deep space.

And I'm tired of them holding up their reporters as heroes. Did we REALLY need to see everything that close that they put themselves in harms way? And what about going to the bunker where the President landed to hide out. Ummm...gee...do you think THAT is a possible breach of security? And announcing where he'd gone so they could find him? Please!

Common sense is gone. The age of instant news is only increasing the scope of this tragedy.

JMHO
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Well, Velvet, this is what happens when you allow freedom of the press. There are plenty of other news sources, you don't have to watch tv. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

And JMHO...

It's up to an individual to decide when they've had "enough." It's the job of the news to make all the information available for those who want it.

Yes, the instantaneous nature of news these days is different, and disconcerting. And yes, news people can often be idiots... I'm not the biggest fan of TV news, in particular.

But like many people, I suspect, I have been completely unable to tear myself away from the news -- TV at home, radio in the car, internet at work. When I need a break, I'll decide that, thanks.

I get really tired of seeing the media beat up. No, they're not perfect, but they have a job to do like everyone else. Just read the posts from Jennasis and Beezer, and you'll see that newspeople are not the heartless rumormongers some make them out to be.

I read a quote from a well-known news photographer (Reuters, I think) who took some photos of people jumping from the windows of the WTC. He said he hesitated at first, unsure of whether he should take such photos... but then decided he was in position to record the events for history, and pressed the shutter.

I have appreciated all the news coverage that shows how other nations are reacting to the attack and what steps are being taken to find the people responsible. What I do not like are the reporters who ask the rescue workers to describe the horrors that they are seeing. People do not need to hear this. It has to be so hard for people who are still missing loved ones to hear the "horrors" described on television.

>>>"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"<<<

If you don't like it, turn it off.

I'm sitting here in a newspaper office with two TVs on nearby and my computer tied in to a wire service with a constant barrage of news. I can't keep from reading it. But when I went home Tuesday night, I tried to read a book, not very successfully, I might add.

Usually bomb threats aren't reported by media. In my 20 years here, I've been evacuated out of this building twice for bomb threats and they did not make the paper. But with the eyes of the world on the events in New York and Washington, it would be impossible not to mention them.

There also have been bomb threats this week at the tallest buildings in the world -- the twin towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It's not just us. Sadly, there are a lot of sick people out there.

For everyone who complains about the state of American TV, or Hollywood movies, or who complains about a newspaper columnist's views, or, for that matter, icky fast food, I say the same thing: Turn it off, don't buy a ticket, don't read the column, don't patronize the business. It's that easy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's up to an individual to decide when they've had "enough." It's the job of the news to make all the information available for those who want it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto! I had a friend who went to BlockBusters on tuesday night because she had had enough of watching tv since 8am that morning, and she said the store was packed.

For the past two days, I've turned the tv on a few times during the day, just to see if there were any new developments, but I agree with Giuliani; we need to go on with our "normal" lives, and most people in NY have.
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

>> I read a quote from a well-known news photographer (Reuters, I think) who took some photos of people jumping from the windows of the WTC. He said he hesitated at first, unsure of whether he should take such photos... but then decided he was in position to record the events for history, and pressed the shutter <<

Erin, I'm glad you posted this comment but not for the response given by the photographer. For myself I feel that such images are not for public consumption whatsoever.

Its repugnant to see images such as those captured by some idiot photographer, scanned into electronic form, posted on the new agency's web site and then quickly traded about on people's pc's in some macabre spectacle. There is no benefit at all for human kind to see that. Capturing the last moments of another human being, dying without any dignity and in, without question, one of the most horrifying ways is not news.

If such was true then why not open the gates of human depravity and show nightly on the news not just the sheet that covers the body at a crash site but the blood and guts too. Under the same warped logic that too would be a record for posterity.

Reuters, AP, and the other agencies who have engaged in this modern "journalism" should be sued by the loved ones for additional pain and suffering.

I would not want to open the paper and see a picture of someone I love falling to their death. I agree that it makes for an emotional picture. Perhaps I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't such an up close and personal shot. In this tradgedy I don't think it is necessary to shock people into understanding what a horrific event this was. I think what we need from the media is to be kept informed of political actions and of survivors being found and of the investigation. We all understand the horrific nature involved. We need images of hope not images of horror.

>>>"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"<<<

but I do. I think that having all the networks, plus the myriad of other stations all broadcasting essentially from dawn to midnight is too much, at least now that things have settled down a bit. The newscasters are all vamping essentially, filling up the airwaves with the same stuff over and over again, from a different angle--even the government officials are saying some stupid stuff that just makes we want to say "well, duh"...ie "we have found x amount of people involved, but I am sure there will be more"...how much of this stuff do we need to hear until there is concrete news? Iam sorry if this ruffles feathers, but I truly think this whole situation was a wake up call to the US-We are the all powerful nation that for some reason thinks that nothing bad will ever happen on it's soil, or that because we are so powerful, that noone will dare touch us. It scares me to death, since there a lot of countries out there that hate Americans and America for what it stands for-I see this situation as a very large religious war, which frightens me even more. Listening to GW tonite saying that the whole purpose of his presidency is now to get even and exact retribution for this is the scariest thing...Pakistan has nuclear weapons for god sake....do we really want to just grab a big stick and go waving it around so soon because we are so awe struck that something so horrible could strike the US? I am very patriotic, I grew up on military bases, and my father spent most of my younger years fighting for nothing in VietNam. I would like some of this incidiary rhetoric to slow down instead of whipping a saddened nation into anger and retribution. JMHO, and you can just flame away....I think that all along the US should have been far more strict on airplane security...why now do we suddenly worry about our water supplies....are they any more in danger than they were two days ago??? We really need to think of this stuff all the time...the pessimist in me for sure, but the "what if's"...you can never be too sure or too paranoid...we are so dependent on technology something like this was bound to happen-hell, even here in the middle of nowhere, life comes to a standstill when one measly fibreoptic line gets cut and long distance is out...think about it. I just don't want GW rushing us into a war that will really incite the whole Muslim/Islamic world....it would be a sad day for the US and for the world. Think about it.
    praying here for pacifism...
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

I'm not always proud of the type of journalism that's presented on the broadcast media and in newspapers and magazines these days. The revelations of President Clinton's extracurricular activities are a far cry from the self-imposed silence by the press about John F. Kennedy's activities.

But the turn toward the sensational, the tacky, the expose, the gossipy revelation of dirty secrets, etc., has followed the change of public mores and morals in modern society. When I was a teen-ager, girls didn't proudly carry their out-of-wedlock pregnancies to term in full view of their high school chums. Movies didn't show frontal female and male nudity (at least, not in this country). Drivers didn't flip off somebody who cut in front of them, much less take out a gun and blast away.

The public's insatiable appetite for the sensational and even the gory -- look at the movies that top the box office charts most weeks -- follows the loosening of public morals. And I don't necessarily mean sexual. We applaud rude behavior, we intrude on other people's space with boomboxes and cigarette smoke, our impatience shows that we believe we are more important than the next person.

I'm not advocating a return to the prim '50s and I think a presidential candidate should be judged on his personal conduct as part of the overall package. But I would like to see a return of the cold shoulder, the social snub, the sense of shame, the refusal to read about someone else's dirty laundry. Until enough people say enough, the media will continue to give the public what the box office, the circulation figures, the overnight Nielsens continue to say what the public wants.

Many folks don't have access to the news at all times. Therefore the repetitive nature of what is being shown can be viewed by all.

By all means when you've "had enough" go out for a walk and enjoy the day or whatever relaxes you. This is simply another one of our great freedoms at work, freedom of the press.

I also would like to see a return to "morality". I'm amazed by what I see and hear people doing and saying. This kind of reminds me of the thread where everyone was talking about "being common".

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I'm kind of torn on this. On the one hand, I get a bit tired of hearing the same things over and over again. On the other hand, I keep checking new sites during the day and obsessively listening to the radio to find out if there have been any new developments.

Honestly, I don't know what the major networks would show now. I know that coverage isn't on many cable channels and occassionally I'll flip through the dial to see what else is on. But it all seems so darn trivial that I just can't watch it. As someone working in the advertising/marketing field, I know I wouldn't want my ads to run at this time anyway (it's more than a bit tacky), so they may be postponing "paid for" shows until it seems more appropriate.

I do agree that broadcasting every bomb threat of dubious credibility is ridiculous. But so many rumours are flying around, I wonder if the news organizations can separate fact from fiction right now.

I don't have TV or cable or satellite.

I've seen only a few hours of TV news since this began at a friend's home that night. The rest of my images of this tragedy come from the photos posted on the web. They are pale in comparison to the TV images shown Tuesday night.

As horrifying as some of them are, the TV pictures are worse. I am not someone who enjoys people's pain; I've asked reporters to move on at the funeral of a well-known, respected family friend. The point being that the funeral was news, not my grief.

But the picture of a person leaping to their death rather than burn or be crushed is a dramatic moment and yes, it is news.

God forbid it takes years to track down those responsible, but if it does, the pictures that are so terrible now will remind us of what we felt when it comes time to deliver justice.

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I actually love the fact that when I want/need to hear more, I can get it instantaneously. When I need a break, that's what Animal Planet's Funniest Animal Video's are for! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Houdini:
    I would not want to open the paper and see a picture of someone I love falling to their death. I agree that it makes for an emotional picture. Perhaps I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't such an up close and personal shot. In this tradgedy I don't think it is necessary to shock people into understanding what a horrific event this was. I think what we need from the media is to be kept informed of political actions and of survivors being found and of the investigation. We all understand the horrific nature involved. We need images of hope not images of horror.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Up close - personal shots to capture the "horror" of a historic event are nothing new.

I would rather see a picture of something real taken by a photographer trying to capture history and/or evoke emotion than any airbrushed 14 year old fashion model on the cover of Vogue.

Here is a link to what are considered to be the "pictures of the milenium" from Life Magazine covers. Many of them depict graphic real life violence. Most of these photographers won awards for their work.

Life Magazaine - Best Covers

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

Remember many of us are not that close to the reality of the event. Yes it is our country that has been attacked. But I quite frankly have only been to NYC once, and the first place we went was at 2:00am and drove by the twin towers. My Secret Service friend I was visiting at the time did the tour. So this media coverage and this BB seem to be my best link to the emotions and the reality of it all.

If the media coverage gets too much for me, I use that lovely remote and surf for something else. However, old reruns of Frasier and Friends just pale to all of this.

I think ABC has done a particularly good job so far of NOT sensationalizing the events. Who knows what they will find to cover as time goes on. It seems when the "news" value dies down, is when they get carried away.

Meanwhile I shall return to my chair and watch on. Maybe I will get to see that wonderful picture of the exhausted worker and his wonderful dog.

And you know I haven't gotten the least bit tired of hearing the National Anthem or the Star Spangled Banner either.

"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!"
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Houdini:
    We all understand the horrific nature involved. We need images of hope not images of horror.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a (amateur) photographer, I have to disagree on this one... photographs should portray the truth in the situation, and therefore allow us to pick out whatever part we most need/want to see. The camera doesn't lie, and images of horror can be just as meaningful as those of hope.

That said, I have not seen the photograph in question, and I agree that it sounds at least somewhat insensitive, if not downright cruel, to display it in the media.

As a member of the media... I feel obligated to tell you that anything that anyone ever says can and will be used to the fullest extent that it can, even if it's out of context.

As a photographer, today I stuck to the policemen, flags, and flowers outside the Washington Monument. Our paper doesn't have the manpower to send me to NY, but if I was there, yes, I would shoot the jumpers, not to be insensitive in any way, but because that's history, and that's the way it is. It sucks, but people want the news.

I am not defending my profession, but without it, the citizens of the US would not know what's going on at all. You can't over-publicize this in the first week. It's just too big, and too well-watched. It's not even just about the reporters. We don't cover stories that don't get read. If you're tired of hearing about it, I suggest getting a book, because this is not going away any time soon.

*donning flame suit*
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Olmosheaven-I keep wondering if it's the tail wagging the dog, though. Don't you wonder, too? Is it us just being passive and accepting it? Or is it us really "wanting" it?

lilblackhorse- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I'm shocked, too!

To everyone else, I think that part of my problem is the replaying of the crash images over, and over, and over. If I just want to watch the news for a minute to catch up, I'll get those images replayed five times in a half hour on some channels.

I have turned off the TV, but to me it just seems like there are no other options that are being presented other than a book, and I also have a difficult time focsing on one.

The reason I started this topic was just because it does seem to me like just plain too much...and that they don't know when to stop. Last nights television moved a bit more away from it, tonight we're right back into the thick of it. I just wish they'd get a bit of distance, show some respect, and repeat things that are more helpful and a bit less harmful to the American psyche.

One thing that I saw that made me feel sad, proud (of the U.S.) and amazed was in London, at the changing of the guard when they played our national anthem.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"