The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calling all professionals....

Per a recent phone call with another COTHer, I would like to suggest that we form a network/contact list of professionals here on COTH. Perhaps it could be on FB, if that is preferred.

My phone call related to a situation with RMHP, but the network would likely be useful for plenty of other things as well.

Has this been suggested before?

They have 're-rider' support groups here. I am suggesting something similar, but for industry professionals.

Personally I don't really see the point.

People have PM's/email addresses/links to websites on their user information.

What additional value would a FB group add?
    If you need to ask someone a question, PM them.

Yes, and who decides who is a professional what?

Guess I can't be on the list as I am a non-pro/amateur.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Professional what?
    That's what I was wondering... I'm definitely not a professional rider/trainer, but as a representative of Southern Cross Ranch, I would consider myself a professional in the horse industry.
    Last edited by OveroHunter; May. 2, 2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: grammar
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Anyone who is eligible to be praised or crucified on RMHP would qualify as a 'professional.'

Rate My Horse Pro

I would think anyone with 'pro' in their brain has their own network. It's called people you know in real life.

Very true Katarine. RMHP must not have a big following around here. We're on there as a boarding barn with no reviews. My trainer and a close trainer friend of mine are on there with no reviews. The training facility where I board my WB has no reviews... I have been less than impressed with that site
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Doesn't this whole forum function something like a network ? Don't we all already also PM each other with specialized information or private comments ?

plus there search function here...

unless you are looking to form a network for some political (horse related) reason ?

jmo

carry on
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Why would upstanding industry professionals need a support group?

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I would think anyone with 'pro' in their brain has their own network. It's called people you know in real life.
    To fill in some missing info from my OP, I recently had a phone conversation with a COTHer who had a very difficult time with an individual that not only harassed and stalked her via FB and RMHP, but also her child and her working student.

I suggested the formation of a list/group of folks on COTH who would be interested in sharing what is learned from similar situations/whatever else they have learned about being a pro in the horse business (farm owner, barn manager, farrier, dentist, massage therapist, feedstore owner, 'equine area operator' (as the legal warning signs describe them) etc. that they feel is important to learn in a second hand manner.

As opposed to the wonderful thrill of enjoying the legal/personal rodeo 'ride' themselves.

If you find it more palatible... you could think of it as a context for pros to discuss solutions for the 'weaknesses' in the services/business models that are so often topics of discussion here.

http://thetalentcode.com/2012/05/03/...ring-mistakes/

Here's an article that might help explain the concept also.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    To fill in some missing info from my OP, I recently had a phone conversation with a COTHer who had a very difficult time with an individual that not only harassed and stalked her via FB and RMHP, but also her child and her working student.
    The COTHer needs to call the police if s/he, her children, and employees are being stalked.
    Alis volat propriis.

You can do whatever you wish but I don't see it taking hold. I just think people develop their own trusted network over time and reach out to those individuals for guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post

I suggested the formation of a list/group of folks on COTH who would be interested in sharing what is learned from similar situations/whatever else they have learned about being a pro in the horse business (farm owner, barn manager, farrier, dentist, massage therapist, feedstore owner, 'equine area operator' (as the legal warning signs describe them) etc. that they feel is important to learn in a second hand manner.

As opposed to the wonderful thrill of enjoying the legal/personal rodeo 'ride' themselves.

If you find it more palatible... you could think of it as a context for pros to discuss solutions for the 'weaknesses' in the services/business models that are so often topics of discussion here.

I can only speak to the bolded section. If any professional has issues with a former client they are asked to provide documentation. It is amazing how many professionals are "stalked." When asked for the documentation (of the restraining order, charges, complaints, etc) by our customer service team many never produce the documentation after asking for assistance. I hope this gives you some perspective.

Safe riding.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You can do whatever you wish but I don't see it taking hold. I just think people develop their own trusted network over time and reach out to those individuals for guidance.
    I think COTH would be a perfectly suitable place to do help develop that kind of network/relationships. I know I have made 'direct contact' with a handful of folks here. So I am now proposing to develop that in a more structured way.

The individual I spoke to about her difficult experiences with a 'sociopath' client, which eventually involved the child of the professional being targeted, learned some very important lessons from her experience. I would be very interested to gather other 'lessons' from other professionals.

Especially as the difficulties seem to have been somewhat complicated/worsened by emerging technologies/websites/methods of social interaction that the professional was not aware of initially.

I tend to network with other trainers/business people I know in my area. We get together randomly for social interaction (sans clients) and do talk about work, clients, training and such. If I had something weird going on I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the phone and get an opinion from one of them.. (altho on the harassment thing I would likely contact police/lawyer first.)

The conversations tend to stay quiet, we don't share private info and we are not interested in "getting" each others clients.. and we compete against each other in the show ring. If I had to leave a show for an emergency or something, I would be comfortable asking any one of them to school my clients..heck I would even loan one of them a horse to compete against me if they needed it.. Takes time and lots of interactions to build up relationships like that.. FB,Link'dIn,4 square, and all that are merely stepping off points, a good network takes personal interaction.

I think there are some interesting experiences posted on COTH forums and certainly this is a good place for emerging trainers,riders.. and parents to post questions or search various subjects.. The hard part can be knowing which experts are truly knowledgeable and have a resume to back up their opinion.
    I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you