The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Well I might be relocated to Atlanta by end of next year.... Anyone know of good Hunter/Jumper trainers around the Atlanta area? Also what is the best area to live in nearest Atlanta for horses?

thanks

Well I might be relocated to Atlanta by end of next year.... Anyone know of good Hunter/Jumper trainers around the Atlanta area? Also what is the best area to live in nearest Atlanta for horses?

thanks

If you want to live near horses, I suggest Alpheretta. It's about a 30-45 minute drive to downtown but that's where most of the good barns are! I rode with Sunny Stevens at Stevehaven Stables and I really liked her. She's in Cumming GA which is about 15 minutes from Alpheretta and an hour from downtown (where I live [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]) She goes to all the big A shows and is gone a lot, if you want a trainer that does more local stuff I suggest Janet Salem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] There are a lot of other good trainers I just don't know much about them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**Kelsey**
    &
    **Notoriety**
    **Plus Tax**
    **Clearly Canadian**
    **Pavielle**
    **Angel Face**

http://community.webshots.com/user/jrhntrpavi

Well, I live here in Cumming, Ga. Alpharetta and Cumming are the up and coming horse world...lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img].
    Sunny is a very good trainer, especially for equitation riders. I have just currently looked all over Cumming and Alpharetta for barns. I have tried tons of trainers. After many disappointing tries, I found Jamie Comstock of Shadowbrook Farms.I was reluctant to go see him, but everyone I talked to about who to ride with, told me about Jamie, and encouraged me to ride with him. He is truly one of the best trianers here, he just hasn't had the clients to "make him known". Jamie was a big name up in Long Isalnd, New York, and is a newer trainer around our area. He is amazing, and his training methods are phenominal!!! He is really hoping for some serious showing riders, but he will do all the locals, too. He currently only has 2 of us that have serious goals, and we both have greenies. I would suggest you look at Jamie and Sunny. There are a couple good trainers, and I think I could tell you who to avoid more than I could tell you who to ride with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. I would love to share more about Jamie, and antime you want to ask, type away! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    *Shauna*
    *Shauna*

\"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.\"
    Herm Albright.

I don\'t have an ATTUTUDE problem. You have a PERCEPTION problem.

Who would be the best trainer for you will depend on what your needs are - there are tons of Atlanta people on the board, so you will likely get plenty of suggestions. Perhaps if you could provide more details, we could give you more help. For example, I and a couple of others on the board ride with Jenny Gelb, who is a wonderful trainer, but if you need a school horse that you could show, or you want to do primarily A shows rather than the larger locals with the occasional A, she would not be the right choice for you. But, if you had a younger or more inexperienced horse that needs training rides, she would be great.

I've seen a lot of variation in methods/approaches of the trainers in the Atlanta area (even among the trainers listed in the posts so far), so I'd suggest trying out a few before settling on one. Alpharetta is definitely the area to be in for lots of choices, though there are a few barns in the Canton area as well. I live intown and commute to the barn, and there are days I just can't go because the traffic is so bad going north.

You can also check out the Trainer Directory on the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association website www.ghja.org, or if it is not on there, email them from the website and they will send you a copy.

[This message was edited by GreyMareMom on Dec. 14, 2002 at 07:26 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can also check out the Trainer Directory on the Georgia Hunter Jumper Association website www.ghja.org, or if it is not on there, email them from the website and they will send you a copy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You beat me to it!

Judi-Visit the site or email and I will help you out.

GreyMareMom- See you at the Christmas party.

"I never met a donut that I didn't like."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cashmere:
    You beat me to it!

Judi-Visit the site or email and I will help you out.

GreyMareMom- See you at the Christmas party.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, see you there!!

Judi, Cashmere is our ever-patient GHJA secretary, so she's the source for the GHJA info!

I echo those above who say you've got a lot of choice out here and most of it is in Alpharetta. I'm at Little Creek in town (one of just about the only 2 places in town) and I ride with John Abbott. I can't say enough good things about him. Little Creek is NOT fancy but it's well run and the people are very nice. You're welcome to email me regarding finding a barn. I've been to quite a few barns in Alpharetta and did the local shows, so I can tell you a little bit about most of the places (and a lot about some, I've had my horse at 2 barns in Atlanta). Welcome, you're going to LOVE Atlanta!

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I've ridden with many different trainers in the Atlanta area, and you're welcome to e-mail me at TooSassy84@aol.com if you want more info.

It really depends what you're looking for. If you want to go to all the bigger "A" shows, there are really only a few trainers: Sunny Stevens, Hunt Tosh, Havens Schatt, and several others. Alot of them like Hunt and Havens, are always on the road, so they would be better if you want someone to meet up with at shows.

There are tons of good local trainers, Janet Salem being my personal favorite. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~Sarah~

~*Southern Comfort*~

~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~Junior Clique~ Buckle Bunnies [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~

Veronica

You ride at Little Creek?!?!?!?! I'm Pavi's old mom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] John bought her from us last summer but she has been there for about 4 years. How long have you been riding there?? I was there all the time last summer because my best friend worked/rode there so I would always go meet her then go to North Dekalb [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

**Kelsey**
    &
    **Notoriety**
    **Plus Tax**
    **Clearly Canadian**
    **Pavielle**
    **Angel Face**

Sunny is a great trainer!! She is my current trainer and she is great! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] She does the "A"shows and is good if you want to do that, but I agree with everyone else in that if you want to go to local shows, you should train with Janet Salem( I did for 3 years [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]. She is also a great trainer!

~Jenna & Beethoven~
    Proud Member of the Thoroughbred Clique & the Children's Jumpers Clique & the GA Clique & TS Clique "We ride and never worry about the fall, I guess thats just the cowboy in us all" ~Tim MaGraw
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

where is alpharetta in relation to emory? just looking ahead for college years.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

george bush says nucular instead of nuclear and it really bugs me

Pavi is the sweetest thing on 4 legs (well, not to the other horses--- but to people). I saw your photos of you riding her, you looked like a great team. Pavi is brilliant over the fences... and so put together for a school horse.

I moved to little Creek in October and I love it. It's only 7 minutes from my house, 5 if I drive fast! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It's worth it for the driving time alone... but I also happen to really like John. If you drop by, my horse is on the same side as Pavi but on the other side of the wash stall. He's sorrel with a white face and flaxen mane and tail and his name is Stoney. Are you still in Atlanta?

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

Kelsey D, who is your friend?

JrHunterLuver, Emory is in the Atlanta/ Decatur area. Alpharetta is a good 45 minutes away-- more if you're anywhere NEAR rush hour. Sometimes it took me 1 hour 15 minutes to get from Exit 2 (Lenox) to Exit 11 (Windward Parkway).If you're thinking about Emory I highly recommend thinking about either Little Creek, Chastain (which I've never seen and can't comment on), Voight (sp) on Houston Mill Rd (maybe 2 minutes from Emory, if that), or no farther up GA 400 than Exit 5-6/ Sandy Springish area. Unless you like road rage. Seriously!

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

I'm a Marketing Executive for EarthLink so I fly to Atlanta once a month. I oversee a team of about 60 creative's and it looks like they'll probably be moving my team by end of next year. I currently ride with an "A" trainer in LA named Randy Durand at New Haven Farm. He's really great but I looked at his schedule next year and he's hardly ever going to be home with all the shows. I usually can afford one show a month but he's usually at 2 to 3 a month.

I've been doing the Hunters/Eq. but am moving into Eq and Jumpers starting January.. (That is if I can remember those jumper courses...LOL) It's always the extra added fences of the jump off that throw me...

Want to go to "A" shows about 4 to 5 times a year and "B" shows the rest of the months... the old pocket book can't take much else.

I have a new 7yo Dutch Warmblood who has a lot of jump (I just posted recently how he jumped out of our 6 foot turn out arena that has solid wood walls)... He's very fearless and I've finally found the right horse to do the jumpers with. Sounds like there are so many options in Atlanta area which is really comforting... We'll also be looking for a house as well so thank you for the wonderful input as far as area's.

Sounds like there are a lot of very friendly folk in Atlanta... You've all made me feel a lot better about the potential move. I've lived in California all my life.. so it's a HUGE move for me.

When it gets closer I'll be asking for your advice... once I find out where we end up buying... Maybe on my monthly trips I can come visit of few of the barns.. Thanks for the help everyone.

: )

Pierre Belanger is a WONDERFUL trainer, has trained numerous medal and maclay riders, and is the most gentle trainer with the horses!

Luckyduck is the barn manager....she is also my best friend, but that's not why I'm recommending their barn. I can't say enough about how well that barn is managed and how wonderful Pierre and Nicole both are.

I believe the barn is located just off of Roswell Hwy...in the Huntcliff subdivision (which has beautiful homes and a nice clubhouse set on the Chatahoochie (sp??) River.

EM luckyduck at westwindfarm1@aol.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vxf111:
    Kelsey D, who is your friend?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizabeth Gleim, she has a horse named Otto but he's at college with her now! Her sister's horse is TJ and he's still there as far as I know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I'm so glad you like Pavi!! She is such a sweetie, have you seen her kisses trick?? If not you'll have to get John to show you!! She loves Little Creek though, she had gotten so ring sour that I basically couldn't ride her and she used to buck me off all the time! Then after I moved her there and she started getting 8 hours of turnout every day she has become a completly different horse! I think she loves her job now and I'm so happy that everyone loves her [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I still live in Atlanta but I'm in college. I live in Druid Hills so it's really close to the barn, I'm sure I'll come out and visit sometime over my christmas break so maybe I'll meet you! I'll be sure to look for your horse!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**Kelsey**
    &
    **Notoriety**
    **Plus Tax**
    **Clearly Canadian**
    **Pavielle**
    **Angel Face**

For jumpers and Eq (are you doing adult Eq?) Sunny Stevens at Stevehaven would be a great choice. She is on the road quite a bit though. Another less well known name in Atlanta who is great for jumpers and EQ is Heather Steinman. She herself competes in the jumpers and has a strong dressage background (she just had a baby so she's not riding too much at the moment). She's also great if you need a pro to get on your horse. She does a mix of a circuit called PSJ (Progressive Show Jumping - they have a website - PSJShows.com)which is probably the closest thing to a 'B' show in the S'east and close by 'A's. We only have 'A' and unrated local here. Take you time and talk to a lot of people before you make a decision - there are a lot of choices here, each with their own unique style.

Where is Huntcliff? When I moved to Atlanta I spent (no joke) 2 HOURS driving around looking for that place and never found it. Where exactly is it?

~Veronica

"The Son Dee Times"
    ~Veronica

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judi:
    I've been doing the Hunters/Eq. but am moving into Eq and Jumpers starting January.. (That is if I can remember those jumper courses...LOL) It's always the extra added fences of the jump off that throw me...

Want to go to "A" shows about 4 to 5 times a year and "B" shows the rest of the months... the old pocket book can't take much else.

Sounds like there are a lot of very friendly folk in Atlanta... You've all made me feel a lot better about the potential move. I've lived in California all my life.. so it's a HUGE move for me.

: )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad we made you feel better - that would definitely be a huge move. You will find plenty of Southern hospitality and a great horsey-community!! You will definitely be able to find a good fit for your needs and show schedule. My trainer, Jenny Gelb (Hunters Glen/Ivy Manor Farm), has a good group of jumper & eq. riders, as well as a nice group of adults. One of the things I like best is that she is a great rider as well if you are looking for someone who can not only teach but hop on and train or tune-up. That's one big difference I've seen among the trainers around here is that some ride, and some don't, and of the ones that ride, I like the way some of them ride, and don't necessarily like they way some of the others do, so that is one more thing you may want to add to your list to help you decide!! Good luck!