The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rolex 4* AND 3* ???

It occurred to me, sitting at jump 15 at Rolex Saturday, that it would be nice to have perhaps a 3* running with the 4*. Wasn't that done in the past? It was 10:20 in the morning, the first rider had yet to come to our jump, there was an hour for lunch and we were done by 3:30 I think, or close to it. Are the logistics of dressage, jumpbuilding etc just too great? What a great venue to introduce 3* riders to the excitement and spookiness of the Rolex atmosphere. And it would be sooo nice to see more riders running XC.

As a spectator I'd be all for it!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Historically, there was a 3* http://www.rk3de.org/eei3.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

The first couple years of the 4*, they ran the 3* as well. However, the 4* obviously can support itself (the entry fee is only $100 so you know we're talking ticket sales, sponsors and vendor fees), so if YOU were the organizer, would YOU sign on for a bigger headache (2 courses, more horses to schedule, more riders to deal with, etc.) when you're doing just fine with what you have?

That said, the fact that the day is so short hasn't been missed with me and is one of the reasons that I have to weigh when I contemplate just going down for 1 day.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

IIRC Rolex was a 3* until 1997; they had both a 3* and a 4* in 1998 and 1999. It became exclusively 4* in 2000, although I'm not sure. I remember riders from Mexico in 1999 who rode the 3*; don't think there have been any back since, but am not sure.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

It would sure take the wind out of the sails of Jersey Fresh and perhaps even Bromont.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    It would sure take the wind out of the sails of Jersey Fresh and perhaps even Bromont.
    Exactly. With other CCI*** in North America, you don't really need another one as competition, not if we want other venues to survive. Rolex doesn't need the *** to survive.

Logistically it probably would not help and would hinder far more than worth it. I think the Reining competition is the add-on, now. I don't think they want to take away from the four star competition, or wedge out other competitions as Blugal said. I do remember the lower level competitions, but there were very different conditions at the Park then.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I would rather see a young event horse championship there, a la Burghley Young Event Horse Championships. It would be an excellent way for the more ambitious spectators on a 4* high to be exposed to up and coming horses. They may possibly sign on as an owner right then and there when emotions and dreams are being fueled by the atmosphere.

It would be much less taxing on the organizers, while giving the spectators more to see, exposing future horse stars to an atmosphere, and a show case for the top young event horses in NA.

Default As a volunteer

As a volunteer who has to be there by 8 a.m. and can't leave until an hour after the last horse completes the course, I'm pretty happy the way it is.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Also: I think it's a good thing that the 4* riders are concentrating on their 4* rides and not trying to squeeze in a couple of extra 3* rides on the side! Since there would be no rule that they can't do that, I'm sure there are a bunch who would try.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

If they would just add a Training division . . .

My son always asks, when I come home from Rolex, "did you win?".
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    I would rather see a young event horse championship there, a la Burghley Young Event Horse Championships. It would be an excellent way for the more ambitious spectators on a 4* high to be exposed to up and coming horses. They may possibly sign on as an owner right then and there when emotions and dreams are being fueled by the atmosphere.

It would be much less taxing on the organizers, while giving the spectators more to see, exposing future horse stars to an atmosphere, and a show case for the top young event horses in NA.
    I love this idea, although having a young horse "championship" in the spring when we have a perfectly good fall season seems silly. But why not introduce a young horse aspect to it? What better way to get a young, talented prospect exposed to a 4* atmosphere than at an actual 4*?

I thought about that, too. Not ideal timing, but something to work with. Talking hypothetically, let's say this happens next year. Instead of having the young horses of that year (2013) compete, have it so the young horses of this year (2012) do it as a championship in 2013. Horses could qualify by getting top placings at qualifiers, getting a high enough score, or a top percentage at either of the coast finals, which are held at the end of the year.

Since 5yo's qualify over T level, as 6 yos, the championship would be a soft P since the horse would be in their 6th year. ("Soft P" in my mind would be no lateral movements and only 1-2 max fences with only straight forward combinations.) Same goes for 4yo's competing at T level, though not necessarily soft.

Or we could go to the Le Lion d'Angers route, but that would be way too much work and deserves it's own venue, IMO.

To see how Burghey does it:

Full format, with top 10 flat final including gallop.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6qdKjvG5c

I remember when they held a 3* and 4* at Rolex. From a spectators perspective, it was great! It made for a complete day of x-c, and allowed you to see a larger cross section of riders (not just the biggest name ULR's that have a string of 4* horses). Not that I mind seeing fabulous pro's ride around (it's a riding lesson for sure) but it's nice to see some of the up and coming riders too.

I agree, x-c day DOES feel short, with a long lunch break. And if you have a year like this one, where riders are retiring early, or not making it around the course, you feel like you didn't get to see much. After the first 30 minutes--we ended up moving to the beginning of the course because we hadn't seen a horse or rider yet!

I know it's probably a PITA for the organizer, but IIRC, the courses were not radically different. There were parts of the 4* that had different options than the 3* and some jumps were shared I believe. The overall track ran the same so it was pretty straight forward for the spectators.

Thumbs up Training Division!

I think at Burghley they offer a BE100 (Training level) championship division. Not sure of qualification, but basically (I think) the top 50+/- amateur training riders qualify to compete over the year. I think it runs a day earlier maybe.... but that sounds like fun...

but then again you can run around the KHP for MayDays, Champagne Run, Classic and Midsouth (even do the T3D "Timex") ... so not like there aren't opportunities to gallop "rolex".

Quote Originally Posted by gahawkeye View Post
    (even do the T3D "Timex") ... .
    Love it!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Oh, I've galloped around the KHP many times, but it sure would be cool to go down there to ride on THAT weekend.
    Click here before you buy.

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh, I've galloped around the KHP many times, but it sure would be cool to go down there to ride on THAT weekend.
    I think Bill Hoos had the most fun of anyone I've seen go XC at Rolex, at least as it is visible to the naked eye. The next day I think he knocked down all but one or two of the stadium fences, but he had a blast and he completed.

But!!!!! When would we shop??
    I watch every single horse go XC andI like the lunch break and being done sorta early.