The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Student Position

Hi everyone,

I am currently a working student for a trainer and everything is going great. I groom and tack up horses for the trainer, lunge a few horses each day, and ride some every so often. I get a lesson each week and also get lessons when I am riding some of the horses in training.

I want to find something when summers over with a Hunter/Jumper trainer where I can continue to work but maybe live at the property instead of having to drive there. The current instructor I am working for just goes to Dressage Schooling shows and then recognized three-day events but I don't have my own horse and the horse I lease is very green and only does dressage. If there were showing opportunities I would stay forever but unfortunately there are not.

Eventually I would like to be a trainer or instructor and I need to get as much experience as I can in before its to late. I would like to travel with a barn and work for them on the circuit and learn about management, care, etc. At home it would be nice for me to live there and be able to board my own horse when the time comes.

Do any of you think an opportunity like this is out there? I have been looking everywhere but nothing seems to fit what I am thinking of.

I am a hard male worker (18) and know a lot about horse care and riding. I have only been to schooling shows though so need to get some experience. If anyone has any ideas of where I should look that would be great. I am actually hoping to travel and go somewhere out of state for this and I am not necessary looking to work for one of the top show barns right away.

Thanks for your help!

Are you into 3 day eventing at all? Because if you are, and you're willing to go to Texas you can always try to work with Will Coleman. I personally love his riding style, and I used to train with him and work on his complex every summer starting my junior year of high school. He did wonders with my first horse and I! I don't get down as much now that I'm so far into my college career but if that sounds like something youre interested in contact his barn and ask about opportunities. He's a great guy, easy to work with, grea to learn from and he's still fairly young. So it might be nice to for you to see how someone so close to your own age has made it in the "pros" so to speak

Good Luck!

Sounds like a wonderful idea, except for owning your horse.
    As a working student, you will have so many opportunities to ride other's horses and show, if in the right place, to make the expense of paying your own way, with the little income you will get as a working student, a VERY-BAD-IDEA.
    Rethink that, please.
    Without encumbrances, that will make your life as a wannabe professional much easier thru your learning years.
    Down the line, once you are established, then you can have a family, pets, your own horses as projects and to show.

In your learning years, to be unencumbered by pets, horses, family, that will make you so much more marketable and flexible.

I did what you want to do, although in a different time, many years ago and in Europe, so different conditions.
    I lived where all I had could fit in two big suitcases and you know, I could and did go anywhere they needed me and learned an incredible amount.
    A chance to do so would not have been possible if tied down by other in my life.

That won't last but a few years.
    Consider how much you are willing to give up, to become a slave to your horse interest, for a few years, so you can grab all and any chances to be at the top of what you can do.

Also, cross training in different disciplines, learning how different barns are managed, all that will add to what you can later use.

For me, those were absolutely wonderful years, full of great horses and people.
    All, including the hard work, was an incredible experience, but there were sacrifices too.

Best of luck in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by tec890 View Post
    Are you into 3 day eventing at all? Because if you are, and you're willing to go to Texas you can always try to work with Will Coleman. I personally love his riding style, and I used to train with him and work on his complex every summer starting my junior year of high school. He did wonders with my first horse and I! I don't get down as much now that I'm so far into my college career but if that sounds like something youre interested in contact his barn and ask about opportunities. He's a great guy, easy to work with, grea to learn from and he's still fairly young. So it might be nice to for you to see how someone so close to your own age has made it in the "pros" so to speak

Good Luck!
    ummmm will coleman has been in va for quite some time! last weekend he had a huge open house at his farm!

ding ding ding we have a winner
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evntr5218 View Post
    ummmm will coleman has been in va for quite some time! last weekend he had a huge open house at his farm!
    Yeah, I'm not sure when he was ever in Texas except for clinics.

He's not a born and bred Virginia native, but he's been here since he was very young. He even attended UVA.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Ohohohohoh Tec! You must know my friend then! She's been with Will doing the working student gig! ...In VA and South Carolina....

ETA: but from what I've seen...he is indeed young (my age even!) and absolutely easy on the eyes...
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5