The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question A little bit of a dog problem-sensitive stomach/picky eater?

So my dog is about 3 or 4 now. She has this thing where she throws up yellow liquid, sometimes some foamyness in it. Sometimes its during the day, morning, afternoon... She always looks like she is in trouble after doing this (shes very sensitive! poor thing!) and tends to sulk off, sometimes depositing more puddles of liquid on the way. Its been brought up at the vet and he doesnt really think much of it as she is healthy otherwise.

I've done some googling and found that it is commonly seen with hunger. Now, I'm not sure if thats her case or not as she is not too big on eating her food to begin with. Our other (older) dog scarfs her food down and young dog has to be directed to her food and will eat a bit and then wonder away (and sometime my cat likes to steal her food and all she does is sit and watch!) We have tried many different types of dog food. I've tried adding some cheese or other yummies on top and she will eat that and then be done. She loves people treats and I tend to give her the occasional snack which she loves (her fav mornings are pancake mornings because she gets her own mini pancake! Shhh!)

A raw diet, while I would love to do it, is not really feasible in my situation. I really hate for her to keep having her episodes as I know that has to be awful for her physically and emotionally...I just dont know how. Are there any other reasons this vomiting could happen? Any ways to help entice her to eat her food? She gets fed twice a day (of course with little scraps in between, usually bread, cheese, a veggie, rice...whatever the vegetarian me is eating at the time) about a cups worth. She is a Schnauzer x poodle cross.

Picture and another picture because I think she is just too darn cute not to share
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

See your vet. i had a dog with inflammatory Bowel Disease. she was in pain with hers and we needed to provide a treatment that helped.

So, now I am on a mission since my Standard Poodle was just diagnosed with Addison's and had somewhat similar symptoms. You might want to ask your vet about it.

I had a dog that did this when she was hungry or dinner was late. She always tending to be on the heavy side, so she didn't get a whole lot of food.

What are you feeding her currently?

the simplest thing to try is just dose her with an antacid fifteen minutes before you feed and see if that improves the eating, which should also improve the vomiting. Some dogs get acid reflux that makes them nauseated so they don't want to eat even though that would fix the problem.
    You could try feeding canned food, if you haven't already, in case something about the dry food causes her discomfort after eating.
    Otherwise you're looking at a long differential of possible problems- ulcers, allergies, food intolerances, metabolic problems, etc.
    But yeah, it's really not normal for dogs to be "picky" eaters, or to vomit frequently, so if your dog is doing things like that, there's something not right.

Food allergies would be a possibility

If your vet isn't concerned, I'd see another vet. Frequent vomiting of fluid, combined with no appetite is NOT normal. It could be IBD, it could be a number of things, some of which are easily treatable. Or she could be perfectly fine, but I think it would be worth checking out. Some dogs just don't have much of an appetite, but that is also a red flag that something may hurt when/after she eats, making her reluctant to eat in the first place. My great dane was a horrible eater for the first year and a half of his life... some days he wouldn't eat anything. Now, after figuring out his many tummy issues and treating appropriately, he finishes every meal, and is actually excited about it.

Have you offered some bland cooked rice and hamburger?

I'm in sort of the same situation with my 3 year old (skinny) boxer mutt... She doesn't eat her dry food well, but loves cheese and pretty much any other type of "human" food. She vomited up yellowish liquid bile yesterday so I put white rice in her kibble and she managed to pick around her dog food and consume every piece of rice.

I'm curious about everyone elses "tummy issues"... I'm wondering if ulcers are a culprit because she's a rescue who has more anxiety than any other dog I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by veetiepony View Post
    I'm in sort of the same situation with my 3 year old (skinny) boxer mutt... She doesn't eat her dry food well, but loves cheese and pretty much any other type of "human" food. She vomited up yellowish liquid bile yesterday so I put white rice in her kibble and she managed to pick around her dog food and consume every piece of rice.

I'm curious about everyone elses "tummy issues"... I'm wondering if ulcers are a culprit because she's a rescue who has more anxiety than any other dog I've ever seen.
    My dog is pretty anxious, too. She isnt super skinny, but is on the lower end of a good weight. she also will pick out all the "human" food (or anything that is heavily coated with it)

As for the IBD and Addisons, she is perfectly healthy in all other ways. No lethargy, no diarrhea...she plays and runs around and wants to be with someone at all times. Her only thing is her lack of "dog food" interest and her vomiting. She was a bit of a stubborn potty trainer and still has the occasional accident if not let out for a long time (she is trained to ring a bell when she needs to go outside so if she has an accident, its always right by the bell when we get home. And she looks SO ashamed!)

I might try the antacid tonight and see if that helps. What would be recommended as far as brand/dose? Should I jus tmake a tums paste and syringe it in her mouth?
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

My 2 year old chocolate lab was having very similar symptoms... she was vomiting in the AM before breakfast, just liquid, she has never been a good eater either, as a puppy we almost had to force feed her! (I know crazy for a lab!) My vet thinks she has acid reflux caused by stress, she was vomiting at almost the same time each morning, right after my husband left for work and I was getting ready to leave! We did 10 days of antacids and she hasn't had any problems since. Who knows? Just my story!

my IBD dog did not show any other signs except refusal to eat food( she ate treats) and intermittent vomiting. $1800 scope and she had a very bad case of it. She had to be carefully managed for the rest of her life.

She's adorable! Isn't bile what they throw up when there's nothing in their stomach? I'd try a more assertive approach to the vet. My dog's a hyper sort, and went through stages of not eating much. I'd microwave her kibble, cunningly mix shreds of cheese throughout the kibble, and finally resorted to hand feeding her. About a year ago, her vet prescribed Forti Flora, a nutritional supplement that's basically a powder you shake over the kibble. I'm very grateful to it, because she likes it enough that she actually settled down and eats the kibble mostly at one time instead of picking.

as Wendy said, try some canned food mixed in with the dry. My ACD will vomit up bile if her meal is late. She's not picky, but it really helps her if I divide her meals up during the day so her belly isn't empty.

Riley does this every couple of months. He is of good weight, active, healthy, but sometimes he will forego breakfast just,....because.

If he does not eat by 9am, up comes the bile. I will put an egg, or peanut butter and some pumpkin in this food to encourage him to eat.