The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking to add another dog to the family - MD/PA/VA

I am looking online at rescues, but figure I may as well post here too. I am looking for a large dog preferably age 1 to 4 years old, healthy, spayed/neutered, good with other dogs and cats, short haired, with a good, loud bark (and preferably black!). I am thinking either a Doberman or a Rottweiler.

Thing is, I live alone in a rural area and had my car broken into last December, and would feel a bit safer with a "scary" looking large dog that will alert me to unusual prescence around the house. Dog shouldn't be nasty, but it shouldn't be the type of dog that won't bark and will just greet you with it's tail wagging. It should be somewhat intimidating. I have an older Lab mix that very rarely barks inside the house and does not have a protective/aggressive bone in his body, and an older Chihuahua with severe heart diease. It would be fantastic if this dog could also double as a short-distance jogging partner.

We have five acres, a fenced yard, I can devote plenty of time and love, we keep our dogs on heartworm preventative and flea/tick prescriptions.

Please let me know if you have anything suitable!

Default Paws for Life

CR - Check out Paws for Life. Ginny gets nice dogs from high-kill shelters and works hard to adopt them into suitable households. We wanted something big and full of energy to keep our Australian Shepherd company. She had the perfect fit in a young, energetic big, black, mixed breed dog. He was UTD on shots, neutered, microchipped and had been socialized very well. He's particularly fond of babies!

Ginny does a fantastic job of exposing the dogs to many different situations and matches them with the right home. I think it's around $100 to adopt but well worth the price, as she has exposed the dog to kids, cats, other dogs, horses, etc.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

wow.....i looked at the paws for life website.......there are at least 3 dogs who fit the bill.........2 are black shep looking, the other one looks like a boxer/mastiff....not black, but looks like it could scare someone......
    good luck!

Thank you! I just checked out the website and there are currently two Shepherds that look like they may fit the bill. I will update this if I do end up finding a dog, but for now, still looking!