The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ACTH TEST CO$T ~ GO AHEAD AND SCARE ME !

THANK GOODNESS IT HAS BEEN QUITE SOME TIME SINCE I HAD A 'CUSHING' ~

TESTS MUST HAVE BEEN IMPROVED BY NOW ?

SO ```

PLEASE GO AHEAD AND SCARE ME ABOUT TODAY'S PRICE FOR

ACTH TESTING ~ BLOOD PULL /SERUM INJECTION AND THEN LATER BLOOD PULL ~ SENDING BLOOD TO CORNELL ~

MY VET QUOTE WAS $1,200.00 ~ THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE THYROID TESTING AND THIS IS NOT THE "DEX-SUPPRESSION TEST ...( WHICH IS OUT OF THE QUESTION FOR THIS "MAYBE TO BE TESTED MARE"

TIA ~ ZZ
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

holy cow!! It was 360.00 for my dog. But it had to be done every two weeks, for 2 months, then once a month for 6 months...

But 1200 is a LOT.

Wow... Poor Zu Zu..

Hope your mare feels better soon.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

jingles for zu zu...that you find a lower price!!

Sorry ZuZu, have not had one in a while. That does seem high though. Best of luck with your mare
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Yikes!! I had the ACTH test done a couple of years ago and, if I remember correctly, it was in the neighborhood of $100, maybe more but definitely less than $150. And that was sending the blood to Cornell.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I think the decimal has been accidentally moved over on you Zu Zu or something. I did an ACTH test 3 years ago, blood to Cornell, and it was around $150.

Jingles that its just a case of a zero gone walkabout on you!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Zu Zu is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Default NO ! REALLY !!! The ACTH SERUM TEST ~ TWO QUOTES !

NO ! REALLY !!!

INITIALLY I THOUGHT I HAD CERTAINLY MISUNDERSTOOD ~ BUT TWO VETS GAVE THE SAME QUOTE ~

OUT-RAGEOUSLY !!!

AND THAT IS NOT INCLUDING THE VET CALL FOR BOTH BLOOD PULLS ~

Yes, I agree with the others that sounds very high.

I had a few done at Cornell over the past few years. The Cornell test, plus the overnight shipping was perhaps $150.

I scheduled the blood pull for when we had the vet out for shots so the call fee was going to be paid anyway so we only paid a minimal amount for him to pull the blood and spin it down.

All in all, maybe $300 for the Cornell ACTH test, overnight shipping, the vet call fee (if it wasn't scheduled with another procedure), plus the blood pull and spinning the blood.

Edit to add: We only do one blood pull when we do the ACTH testing and send it to Cornell.

We did not do "BLOOD PULL /SERUM INJECTION AND THEN LATER BLOOD PULL"

Original Poster

Default MY UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT THEY NEEDED BEFORE AND AFTER SERUM RESULTS

My UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT THEY NEED BEFORE AND AFTER SERUM RESULTS AND IT'S THE SERUM THAT IS MAKING THIS TESTING A$TRONOMICAL ~

HOPING SOMEONE HERE HAS RUN INTO THIS CO$T ALSO ...

ANYONE ????

BELIEVE ME I ASKED A SECOND VET AFTER I 'CAME TO' AND PICKED MYSELF UP OUT OF THE SAWDUST !

Quote Originally Posted by Macimage View Post
    Yes, I agree with the others that sounds very high.

I had a few done at Cornell over the past few years. The Cornell test, plus the overnight shipping was perhaps $150.

I scheduled the blood pull for when we had the vet out for shots so the call fee was going to be paid anyway so we only paid a minimal amount for him to pull the blood and spin it down.

All in all, maybe $300 for the test, overnight shipping, the vet call fee (if it wasn't scheduled with another procedure), plus the blood pull and spinning the blood.

Edit to add: We only do one blood pull when we do the ACTH testing and send it to Cornell.

We did not do "BLOOD PULL /SERUM INJECTION AND THEN LATER BLOOD PULL"

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    My UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT THEY NEED BEFORE AND AFTER SERUM RESULTS AND IT'S THE SERUM THAT IS MAKING THIS TESTING A$TRONOMICAL ~
    Do you know what gel they are using? Is it possible for them to look into less expensive alternatives, if they exist?

I just paid (as in less than 1 week ago) $190.00 (including overnight shipping) for

ACTH
    T4
    Insulin

And my vet was apologizing because she wanted to send the blood to Cornell to get tested because she thought they were the most accurate. This added $20 to the cost.

Now I feel like I'm missing something!! I don't know what this serum testing is, but I've had all of the above bloodwork done several times and it's always been in the $150 - $200 range.

Zu Zu, you could pay my vet's plane ticket and get bloodwork done and still come in under $1200.

I just paid $167 total for the vet to come to the barn, draw the sample, overnight it to Cornell, and have the test run.

I would be giving this thread to the vets who quoted you such a high price..and if they don't see how expensive their prices are, find a different vet!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Zu Zu, I've had a ton of ACTH tests done for Cushings horses/ponies and they run about $150 for the Cornell fee plus overnight shipping (more expensive from CA). That doesn't include the vet call and blood draw fee.

I know someone who gets the ACTH vial and paperwork and shipping container from the vet's office, draws the blood, runs it to her small animal vet's office to spin it down, then overnights it herself. Saves the vet call fee if you are willing to do a little of your own legwork.

Original Poster

Default THANK YOU "ALL" FOR YOUR RESPONSES ~

YES QUITE WILLING TO DO THE SECOND BLOOD DRAW ...OR EVEN THE FIRST AND RUN IT TO THE CLINIC .. DID THAT YEARS AGO BUT SEEM THINGS HAVE CHANGED ?

I HAVE CHECKED WITH TWO VETS AND HAVE BEEN QUOTED THE SAME HIGH PRICE FOR THE 'ACTH' SERUM TESTING ...

THIS IS NOT THE DEX.SUPPRESSION TEST( WHICH RUNS ABOUT THE AMOUNT THAT COTHERS ARE QUOTING FOR THEIR 'CUSHING' TEST )..

GOING TO CHECK WITH A THIRD VET AS THE PRICE IS NO WHERE NEAR THE PRICE I PAID THE LAST TIME ( BUT IT HAS BEEN YEARS).

THE VETS SAY IT IS THE SERUM INJECTION THAT IS MAKING THIS SO 'WILD"...
    PROCEDURE EXPLAINED
    1.DRAW BLOOD
    2.INJECTION OF SERUM ( not dex)
    3. WAIT 8 HOURS
    4. BLOOD DRAW BEFORE FEEDING
    *** I REMAIN CONFUSED but VERY

GRATEFUL FOR "ALL" YOUR RESPONSES ~ WILL UPDATE WHEN I HAVE MORE INFORMATION

PLAN TO CALL CORNELL MYSELF !

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    Zu Zu, I've had a ton of ACTH tests done for Cushings horses/ponies and they run about $150 for the Cornell fee plus overnight shipping (more expensive from CA). That doesn't include the vet call and blood draw fee.

I know someone who gets the ACTH vial and paperwork and shipping container from the vet's office, draws the blood, runs it to her small animal vet's office to spin it down, then overnights it herself. Saves the vet call fee if you are willing to do a little of your own legwork.

Quote Originally Posted by fatappy View Post
    I just paid (as in less than 1 week ago) $190.00 (including overnight shipping) for

ACTH
    T4
    Insulin

And my vet was apologizing because she wanted to send the blood to Cornell to get tested because she thought they were the most accurate. This added $20 to the cost.

Now I feel like I'm missing something!! I don't know what this serum testing is, but I've had all of the above bloodwork done several times and it's always been in the $150 - $200 range.

Zu Zu, you could pay my vet's plane ticket and get bloodwork done and still come in under $1200.
    Where are you located? That's a deal! I paid around $300 for ACTH and Insulin about four months ago--that included the farm call for the draw (we only did one draw).
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Are they talking about an ACTH stim test?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Original Poster

Default Yes ! I am talking about the ACTH Stim test being SO EXPENSIVE !

YES ` I AM TALKING ABOUT THE ACTH STIM TEST ```

THE LDDS TEST IS NOT SAFE FOR THIS MARE ...

I WAS TOLD IT WAS ONE OR THE OTHER
    LDDS TEST .. LOW DOSAGE DEXAMETHASONE SUPPRESSION TEST

OR THE

ACTH STIM TEST ... TWO BLOOD DRAWS ONE BEFORE THE SERIUM INJECTION $$$$ AND ANOTHER BLOOD DRAW HOURS AFTER THE EXPENSIVE SERUM INJECTION ~

ANY CLEARER ? ANYONE DONE THIS ?

IT IS SO EXPENSIVE $1,200.00 PLUS THE TWO VET VISITS ...

Hmm, looks like there are two different kinds of ACTH tests, the basal level test and the stimulation test.

Zu Zu, it seems like you want the basal level test and not the stim test?

http://www.ranvet.com.au/research-an...s-syndrome.htm

Basal tests
    basal plasma ACTH concentration
    Basal ACTH has been shown to be quite sensitive (>90%) and is the best option for a basal diagnostic test, however it is recommended that serum insulin be monitored during the course of treatment (McGowan, 2005). Horses with plasma ACTH values greater than 50 pg/ml are very likely to have ECS.
    ACTH stimulation test
    The ACTH stimulation test assesses abnormal adrenal function so is therefore not relevant for the investigation of ECS (McGowan, 2005).
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I just had the regular ACTH test--one blood pull, sent to Cornell. It was $115, not including the call fee (vet was giving vacs here anyway). I thought this was the standard test recommended for all horses and by the Yahoo Cushings/IR group.

That price is outrageous!

I had my pony tested last year and we did the multiple blood draw stim test, sent to Cornell, the whole shebang, and it was $275. You should NOT be paying more than $300 for this!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE