The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Video Critique :)

Skip to :30 (because we had to wait for the previous rider's scores to be announced)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_u0...4&feature=plcp

Please feel free to critique the horse and rider! It's our 3rd national hunter derby and we placed 6th

Thanks so much!

Default Critique

My overall impression of your trip is that you need to slow yourself down by sitting down in the corners and work on a better tempo. Slow down your thinking and keep a feel of your horses outside rein to keep him from getting too forward.
    Your horse went past the distances (because of aforementioned) on most of the jumps and as a result didn't have the best form and he jumped a little too quick as well.
    Work on keeping yourself soft and mushy... That will help alot, let go when you can and your horse will be softer as well.
    If that horse was one I was training I would use landing poles all the time to get him to slow down and jump better with his front end. Magic circle will teach both if you to jump more cat like and calculated in your pace and tempo.
    If all of the above doesn't make a difference then I would try a stronger bit or I may start with a stronger bit. A hunter should not be towing you around the course.

Okay thank you!

I actually think that it's a very nice speed for a hunter derby. (Not that I have a ton of "experience" in it) but on a hunt that would be a nice rolling speed to the jumps. However, he does look a bit "strung out" at times. I think if you can achieve that same speed while harnessing him a bit more, it will provide a more polished looking round. GORGEOUS horse btw!

I'm not sure if it's an effect of the video or not, but your horse appeared to shorten his stride while increasing his tempo in front of a lot of the fences. I'd try for a more even pace and stride length all the way around to even the course out.

Okay thanks so much guys! And yes, if he goes any slower(I know he's string out sometimes, but we're working on that) then he knocks rails and doesn't get the strides. The bending line that is next to the crowd is meant to be a 'long apptoach' jump so that's why he got such a big spot to it.

Thanks again!!

I thought that looked like an overall nice ride for your horses way of traveling (carrying himself).

I actually like the quicker pace. But what I'd like to see is more communication going on between you and your horse, so your ride doesn't have what looks to me as, "a horse chasing his own center of gravity".

I'd go right into circle and lateral work with him, get him on the outside rein, and start to teach him to balance up. You as a rider, I'd like to see you sit, and ride more from your core.

In other words, I see you following your horses center of gravity instead of the other way around. I think that's probably what causes the issues when you say you slow him up. If he's expecting you to follow him, then the method you're using to slow him up is going to be one that interferes with him trying to find his own balance, as opposed to him looking to your balance as a guide for his own.

I think develop the ability to do a good effective half halt from your core, and teach him to follow your core around the course rather then you following his.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from the video.

Once you have him listening to your core for guidance. keep in mind that you can still ride that same pace, but you'll have horse that comes back to you and balances up every time you do a half halt from your core, so you can then do subtle little half halts where ever and when ever you need to keep him balanced and "on the aids".

I'm writing this with a headache and I'm really tired so I hope it makes sence, if not then.... nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Change View Post
    I'm not sure if it's an effect of the video or not, but your horse appeared to shorten his stride while increasing his tempo in front of a lot of the fences. I'd try for a more even pace and stride length all the way around to even the course out.
    I noticed this too. Maybe school with ground poles before and after fences to encourage him to keep his rhythm consistent.

Your pace didn't bother me, but I would work on getting him forward and rhythmic and then try to collect him a touch.

But the two of you looked super cute, and I think you're a very soft and quiet rider, especially with your hands.
    I'm comin', Elizabeth!

Quote Originally Posted by alterhorse View Post
    I thought that looked like an overall nice ride for your horses way of traveling (carrying himself).

I actually like the quicker pace. But what I'd like to see is more communication going on between you and your horse, so your ride doesn't have what looks to me as, "a horse chasing his own center of gravity".

I'd go right into circle and lateral work with him, get him on the outside rein, and start to teach him to balance up. You as a rider, I'd like to see you sit, and ride more from your core.

In other words, I see you following your horses center of gravity instead of the other way around. I think that's probably what causes the issues when you say you slow him up. If he's expecting you to follow him, then the method you're using to slow him up is going to be one that interferes with him trying to find his own balance, as opposed to him looking to your balance as a guide for his own.

I think develop the ability to do a good effective half halt from your core, and teach him to follow your core around the course rather then you following his.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I'm getting from the video.

Once you have him listening to your core for guidance. keep in mind that you can still ride that same pace, but you'll have horse that comes back to you and balances up every time you do a half halt from your core, so you can then do subtle little half halts where ever and when ever you need to keep him balanced and "on the aids".

I'm writing this with a headache and I'm really tired so I hope it makes sence, if not then.... nevermind.
    This

When you say if you go any "slower" your horse will miss strides, pull rails, etc... it's likely because your horse isn't "on the aids," or balanced, as mentioned above.

Getting your horse balanced will give you a more powerful (and longer) stride, more options to your fences (more adjustability) and likely less rails since your horse will be jumping from behind, rather than just with his front end.

Working on your balance will greatly improve your rounds by creating a more even rhythm, better spots to your fences, and a better jump from your horse.

Overall, you and your horse are a very pretty picture... Good luck and have fun this season!
    a horseless canuck...

Not much experience myself with hunter derbies but I thought it looked smooth and consistent. I personally liked the pace and was under the impression that you could move a little more "forward" in the HD rounds? Correct me if I'M wrong!

Thanks so much everyone! I'll get the ground poles out and put them all over our jumps

Any comments about my equitation? I've been in college this year, so I haven't been riding that much and hope that it's not lacking!! Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

Go to time mark 1:45 in this video and watch how John French moves his center of gravity back for two strides before the fence to get his distance and balance up Rumba. Notice the subtile amount of collection that occurs in direct response to his use of a half halt from his center.

Also notice in general how John French balances up Rumba right after each fence, he is seeing his distances very far ahead of the next fence, and he rides Rumba on the aids all the way to each fence. If he does make an adjustment before the fence, Rumba is already on the aids and listening, so only a small shift in rider balance is required to make the half halt that creates that adjustment.

To observe how well a rider is balancing their horse from their center...

Watch the position and motion of the riders back, and the use of their seat. Note that subtile half halts are possible from the two point, but it is necessary to sit and use the aid of the seat to create a more "precise" rebalancing of the horse.

Then note the position of a horses trailing foreleg in the canter as an indicator of balance or collection. The distance a horses trailing foreleg travels behind the point where the leg is vertical, is an indication of how unbalanced or uncollected a horse is.

You are a lovely rider, so soft and elegant! I think you are hitting the max with your horse. Often the horse's knees are pointing down over the fences or the horse jumps high over the jumps with it's body and doesn't fold in the knees.

You need to work on getting your horse off the forehand and slowing the jump down and getting more comfortable with rocking back and rounding over the jump.

Gymnastics exercises will help but also just great flat work and getting your horse moving from his hind end will make the most difference. Good luck! You guys are a really nice team.

Wow! Alterhorse, thanks SO SO SO much! I've seen that movie many times because I think Rumba is an amazing horse, but the things you were saying to notice really helped!

And thank you paris35! Yes, he doesnt think much of these jumps and now does the High Performance and realizes he better be slow and let me balance him or it's not going to be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pixie View Post
    My overall impression of your trip is that you need to slow yourself down by sitting down in the corners and work on a better tempo. Slow down your thinking and keep a feel of your horses outside rein to keep him from getting too forward.
    Your horse went past the distances (because of aforementioned) on most of the jumps and as a result didn't have the best form and he jumped a little too quick as well.
    ^ What they said. Even though you want to keep the pace up for derby rounds, there's a difference between a short strided/quick pace and a more "working" canter. Cute horse and good job!

Thank you!

I was just watching this video of Mary Wanless coaching a jumper rider on keeping his horse from speeding up in front of the fence. At the end of the video she explains the metaphor of pretending the horse's center of gravity is a ball, and making sure the horse doesn't roll the ball out from under the rider....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmN53X5-L6c

Thank you!

That's a great video geog272. Really helped some stuff I've been working with OTTB on lately. I kept getting so distracted by his helmet being unbuckled in the flatting part of it tho! it was swinging and hitting him in the face?! I would've been so annoyed!

Im with everyone else on just keeping your pace a little more consistent and even. As my trainer likes to say, find your rhythm and keep it. It will help you keep your pace even.

As far as your eq, its very pretty, but imho, you are sitting down too soon over the jumps. Try to stay off his back longer, so he can finish the jump before you sit down. Otherwise you look really nice.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/