The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

All the meetings are held an hour from my home and we arent talking about LIPHA but LIHSAA two separate entities.If these things can happen without real input from the people who are affected why should anyone support it, show at their shows, or pay to go to their awards banquet.
    Brilyntrip

As a member of the Long Island PHA, I do agree with Laura, that more people should attend the meetings and get involved. However, the LIHSAA is a seperate group, who chooses it's own members, makes up their own rules, and operates independantly of the LIPHA. The last rule change is proof of that, since the LIPHA discussed it, and voted not to support it.
    In the past, it was common for a person's ideas or concerns to have been brought to the LIPHA meetings because many members are also on the LIHSAA. It is suggested though, to submit your thoughts in writing too the LIHSAA and they will be discussed at their seperate meeting.

would love to email you but... you didn't write one on your profile ?? any suggestions???
    Brilyntrip

Bob-Savage Guest

I have reviewed the responses to this subject with great concern.

As a professional on Long Island I disagree with the impression that quantity is being rewarded over quality. If you look at the AHSA 2000 HOTY winners, you needed both quality and quantity to win. Why should Long Island be any different?

The LIHSAA is an association supported by Long Island horse shows. The fees that are paid by the horse show owners, pays for the awards that are presented. The awards program is there to promote attendence at Long Island shows throughout the year. Based on this alone, why should the points be limited to a horse/rider's 20 top shows, when dues are collected from all shows??

I would again refer you to the AHSA, which long ago decided to reward horses on a National as well as a Zone level. Both programs are on a point accumulation basis, with different goals for supporting member shows. The LIHSAA is designed to reward riders that show and win on Long Island, just as the AHSA Zone award is designed to reward horses/riders that show within their zone.

Last year was an exiting year on Long Island with winners of several divisions not being decided until the very end of the year. The advent of the websight made the competition great. Everyone knew where they stood, and had a chance to try and better their placing if they wanted.

I feel that this rule change, like many things in the horse industry, is designed for the few rather then the masses that support this great sport. Leave the rules as they were.

crs2 Guest

I have to agree with Mr. Savage's thoughts on this issue. I hope those involved with the LIHSAA get a chance to see this posting and respond.

Bravo to mr.Savage's concise well thought out comments !!! I agree whole heartedly
    Brilyntrip

Well spoken Bob! You made many points we all feel and I would say for sure those are the points of the majority! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

I agree with Bob and it's good to hear from a new voice

just call me me* Guest

hi my fellow long islanders!!!! that was well said bobby and i agree with you 100% ... i think that this rule change is uncalled for or at least the manner in which it was done... as someone who has competed for LIHSAA END OF THE YEAR awards i like to show in the winter spring summer and fall my trainer never over does it we always have breaks to make sure our horses are well rested and if we don't win we don't win but i managed to come out with a reserve in the childrens hunters this year with more then a month off plus more breaks in the summer and in the spring and winter and we did go off the island for a few shows.... so it can be done...... and yes there are people who have done 60 shows on long island just so they can say they won their division for LIHSAA...... if the ahsa can do it then why can't we... i mean this 20 show thing is just like what you do to qualify for zones although that is your top 15... but no one is qualifying for anything here we are just earning something we deserve at the END OF THE YEAR a total of all shows shows a WHOLE YEAR not just 20 shows although it can be done you can be champion with 20 shows if you are champion EVERY single time with double or triple points... but if it is for a whole year why then limit to only twenty shows?? why don't we call it best out of 20 shows award not END OF THE YEAR?? plus the fact that they are voting it in now?? that is a little odd did they wait till no one was around to make sure that the vote would be 4-1? and no one enforces a rule in the middle of the showing year like that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] that just isn't fair !!!!! discuss make sure the majority of the population knows then vote and if it goes through with a FAIR vote then enforce it at the appropriote time NEXT year not after the 2001 show season has begun......

~Danielle

before me there were many after me there will me none
    I AM THE ONE

Bobby you said it great!! I only hope that these sentiments are expressed as clearly at the open LIHSAA meeting. We haven't heard much from anyone who was in favor of the rule change. I would like to hear their thoughts.

One or two posters seem to think I have registered an opinion based on my comment about 60 being alot of showing for a horse...actually, I was merely trying to examine and present both sides of the issue. I think all of us have seen situations where quantity has been used to make up for lack of quality, but no rule can protect an animal whose humans simply lack grace and common sense. Fortunately, most who show do have better ideals than that, and respect thier horses sufficiently to avoid overuse. That being said, I see no harm in examining the system from time to time in an open and above board manner to see if improvements can be made that might benefit both horses and exhibitors while encouraging managers to keep their own standards up. In this current state of affairs, the open and above board part seems to be lacking, judging from the response to this thread. The disappearance of the LIHSAA website (where this discussion should more properly be taking place) and the confusion about the distinction between the LIPHA (which one can join and provide input to) and the LIHSAA (which I have no idea how one joins or provides input to) only serves to make things more confusing, and points to the need to at least clarify our current way of doing things.

Thank you M.O'Connor for clarifying you point!
    Brilyntrip

In answer to Mr O'Conners question on how to join the LIHSAA, simply put, you don't. The current members of the group "invite" new members in from time to time. As far as I know the majority of the current members are horse show managers. As with any group there are several members who have been inactive for quite some time, but most are still active horse people.

I really would like to hear from a proponent of this idea ???We promise not to flame ya!!!
    Brilyntrip

Being we now have an open LIHSAA meeting along with the regular PHA meeing [march 5 7:30]we could use some feedback on this. What is the committee feeling right now? Is anyone from the committee besides Laura willing to jump in and let us know? I was just wondering since this thread gets so many views and not as many posts maybe someone from the committee could let us know why they voted yes and let us know why you believe the 20 horse show thing will benifit L.I. riders? The modern day of computers here you can even come on this post and no one here has to know who you are. Lets get going here and here from all sides. The meeting is not that far away and if you can not attend please post a thread so your voice still can be heard since this will be printed out and taken to the meeting! We need more input then the few regulars so lets get going!!!!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

PLEASE - everyone come to the meeeting 7:30 Monday, March 5th at the Country Kitchen , Route
    111, Smithtown

..."How does someone do 60 shows a year? "....

There was a famous pony who was AHSA "horse of the year" a few years back. His AHSA printout had 54 shows on it. I saw it!!! It was disgusting. I don't think he was unbraided much.
    The joke at the pony ring was: "they never turned off the truck." [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ginny, Laura and myself are the only members to surface here, so far. But this whole new concept was presented and encouraged by Mike McCarthy at, at least, one PHA meeting and the last two LIHSAA meetings. He had alot to say, using graphs and charts, to support his idea. I am with the understanding that he is not, however, a member of LIHSAA, but is just hired to be the Pointkeeper. He also is the creator and Keeper of the Website.
    For those of you interested, the "absent" members are:
    Mrs. Cushny, Chairman
    Carolyn Vincent, President
    Anne Aspinall
    Gerry Chasin
    Marie Gibbons, Recording Sec'y (???)
    Tom Mannos
    Joyce Prezebowski
    Mrs. Savino
    Alvin Topping, President LIPHA
    Sandy Woison (Fallon)
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Alright already get off the 60 horse show issue. As stated earlier it works out to 5 shows a month, that is certainly feesible with careful planning.
    The issue at hand is why should my 25 or 30 horse show points count for less than someones 20 shows. I was at the local tack shop discussing this and a father of a rider was dismayed. He comment was something like, "I stood out in the freezing cold every Sunday all winter holding my kids horse, paid all those entry fees, trainers fees and what not and if she does more than 20 show some of those points are worthless? Why?

crs2 Guest

How many LIHSAA members regularly attend scheduled meetings? Is it usual for only 4 or 5 to make up a quorum?