The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slippery Barn Banks

Like lots of barns in this area mine is a half-bank barn, so there is a little hill up to our hay storage area.

We've got 3 more days of rain forcaste and after already almost ending up on my backside this morning coming down it, I'm looking to fix it.

The farm has been here for hundreds of years so either I must be doing something different, or something must have changed or someone would have already fixed this!

What have other people done to fix their slipper slopes?
    This is for human traffic only.

I'm not opposed to digging it up & putting in drainage or gravel, or maybe making retaining wall steps or something. I had the same problem most of our very icy winter.

Right now it has just regular ol' grass planted on it which is partly the problem. It is a partially shaded area so I'm thinking I need to plant something really hardy as it's a very high traffic area.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I'd probably be tempted to put in big steps with gravel... If it's a decent grade I'd be worried about the footing sliding down with rain eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    That's got to be expensive, how much oil can you press out of a chipmunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    I'd probably be tempted to put in big steps with gravel... If it's a decent grade I'd be worried about the footing sliding down with rain eventually.
    and the hay transport?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

She mentioned making steps and said it was human traffic, I assumed there wasn't a large scale hay transport going on up and down. I very well could have assumed wrong though.

she did, didn't she....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Even if you're not taking anything with wheels up and down the slope, I'd be inclined to not put in steps... you never know when your plans change, or if you sell the property it could be a turnoff to the buyer.

It would be an investment, but really digging in a well engineered sloped gravel/crusher ramp might be the way to go.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Yes I guess we do get large hay transports in there, guess I wasn't thinking about that one too clearly!! .

I don't generally take the wheel-barrow up and down the slope because the door to the loft is too small (on the very long to-do list); but I suppose I would in the future when that's fixed.

Maybe doing steps to the one side but grading the whole thing makes the most sense.

I'll got get a picture, that will help
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Need You Now Equine

Asphalt it :P

Across the Front
    Just the hill

Don't mind the puppy, he wanted to be in the pictures...

The hay trailer can not go into this section of the barn because we're worried about the floor not being supported enough (have to get more old hay out of the way before we can get a good look at it).

And we never store round-bales in here, although it's nice to have that option.

It's mostly just the left side that I have a problem with falling down since I walk back & forth there several times a day. Soil is a clay/loam, probably more clay right there, which is also part of the problem.

The feedroom is just inside this door and left. We're going to be adding another door inside the barn in the future, but for now I'm walking around the outside, hence the very heavy traffic . I'm also just carrying buckets, there are doors from the "hay storage bays" out into the animal areas for feeding.
    Need You Now Equine

What about adding a gravel path?

Not my favourite option (I just hate how gravel travels into the flower beds); but definitely an option. Now deep would I need to make it to get a good run-off & not be slippery? I've have to gravel a fair amount so the water could go somewhere I'd think.

I wouldn't want to asphalt it because, we had a really exceptional year, but it was very warm and very very very icy. This was one of the worst spots and had me detouring 5' around it every day so keep for sliding all the way to the barn (which I was actually able to do on top of a bag of shavings one day ).
    Need You Now Equine

I would bet that there is grave under the dirt. That is an old barn and I am thinking that over the years the grave has been slowly clovered up with mud and dirt. Take a shovel, dig down a little bit and see what you come up with.

Now if that doesn't work a rubber trac layed out and staked at each end works great. This is what I mean.

http://static.mascus.com/image/produ...s,15c26230.jpg
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I would bet that there is grave under the dirt. That is an old barn and I am thinking that over the years the grave has been slowly clovered up with mud and dirt. Take a shovel, dig down a little bit and see what you come up with...
    Y'er so smart .
    Yep it's about 6" down!!

Rubber would be really ugly to put it everywhere, but just on a little path might work. Would treaded rubber like that shed ice? It would definitely warm up quickly during the day.
    Need You Now Equine