The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maybe they're assuming that the horse is carrying a 200-pound tourist, and the bear is real hungry?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
    yea, yea, sure. but how do brown bears do in dressage?! hummph. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And what about the jumping phase? Or the rest of cross country? I mean so far it only looks like the bear has the edge in roads and tracks. What will happen to the poor bear if those get eliminated????

Enquiring minds need to know!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein (1878-1955)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Breaks down coming out of the starting gate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
    Maybe they're assuming that the horse is carrying a 200-pound tourist, and the bear is real hungry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Besides, how many top racehorses are out in the wilderness meeting really fit black bears? All these horses they talk about are probably broken-down rent-a-trail-horse grade horses with a "rider" who has only ever done pony rides. Statistics always forget that some people CAN ride nowadays. It's not an old west phenomena. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
    "Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigbay:
    If a horse's top speed (granted a fit racehorse) is 45 miles per hour and a bear's is 30, and a horse is obviously better suited to keep this up over a distance, through trees, etc, where do they get it that the bear can outrun the horse?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume the context of a "race" is such that if a bear has a horse in its sights then the bear can successfully overtake/or catch and conquer the horse.

Bears are very fast in their immediate sprint capabilities, not unlike a cheetah. That's why they tell you to NEVER ever run from a bear - or go up a tree. Stand your ground. If you flee you will die!

Last summer while in Lenox, MA I had a brown bear run across the road I was driving on and it was by no means a lazy slug.

I don't think riding abiility much comes into it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    If that bear wants you, he'll get'cha!!
    When I was young,t hey used to say to climb a tall tree, to a slim limb, where the bear's weight would make it impossible for him to folow you. Since moving near to and riding around in the Canadian Rockies, I've learned that bears have since learned to bend trees/limbs and bounce ont hem to shake out their prey!
    Isn't that a nice thought. It's also why hubby and I haven't gone for a big long mountain hike since last time we came face-to-face with a cute little black bear, and why I trained my rottie pup to recall to hack out with in the mountains!!
    When your dog is trained to bark or raise an alarm at potential trouble (eg. bear, cougar), "recall" just means that it WILL come back when you call. This is the only way to not lose dogs to mountain wiildlife, and after a few close encounters, I've found it's essential when hacking out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

dran kittenhard to type with kitten pullingo n hoodie strings
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Big Things Ahead!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigbay:
    Okay, wait. If a horse's top speed (granted a fit racehorse) is 45 miles per hour and a bear's is 30, and a horse is obviously better suited to keep this up over a distance, through trees, etc, where do they get it that the bear can outrun the horse??
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Seattle Slew, Affirmed & Alydar can hit 45 mph; our horses CAN'T, even though it feels like it to us.

However, a "motivated" horse might get close to that speed for 300 yards if it's running in terror from a bear. An angry bear would probably be a good motivator. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I've (thank God)never come across one but I've heard foxhunters tell of it and some say the horses cannot STAND bear smell and they will freak out & bolt at the smell and/or if they see one. Someone once said the smell is similar to pigs and their horse reacted the same and DID NOT LIKE pigs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
    Maybe they're assuming that the horse is carrying a 200-pound tourist, and the bear is real hungry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I SWEAR TO GOD if I'd had soda in my mouth I would be cleaning it off the screen! Good one Hobson!

- someone help me, I've fallen and I can't get up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

A Wyld Eyed Devil who believes, wishes do come true and amazing things can happen!
    "A strong man stands up for himself...
    A stronger man stands up for others."
    ~MY MAN STANDS UP FOR US ALL~

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Save the Peeps!

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Good point, ETBW--would a bear go after peeps, or a horse? And if the bear chose the peeps, who'd be faster?

Yes, but what would the moose be carrying? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm assuming that a bear can outrun a horse on a flat track if it came to that. But, can a bear be as nimble and turn on a time like a horse?

For any of you that have seen Lord of the Rings, when "the white horse" is running from all the black ones some to mind. Sorry, I can't think of any of the names. But those flying changes!

Anyways, I would think that a horse would win, but then again, I've never meet a bear.

I think, therefore I am single
    I think, therefore I am single

Thanks so much everyone for the lively discourse! I have learned a lot and hope that I never am put in a situation that tests your answers. My husband will be smug. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

But, but, what about camels?! No one has mentioned camels!

Lane 1: broken down pack horse w/200 lb. tourist
    Lane 2: peep
    Lane 3: horse (Alydar lines)
    Lane 4: bear (grizzly)
    Lane 5: bear (black w/cub)
    Lane 6: moose (Canadian)
    Lane 7: camel
    Lane 8: hobson

On your mark . . . set . . .

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

And hobson gets immediately DQ-ed for outrageous interference when she cuts off the horse, 2 bears, moose and camel and heads straight for the peep in Lane 2.

But what about the angry bison?

Officials are reportedly considering banning hobson from racing for life. "Eating one's competitors is a very serious infraction," noted one race official.

hobson barely qualified for the final, beating out an angry (but lame) bison in the preliminaries.

Film at eleven . . .

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

They can smell a PB that is in a tent, under a sleeping camper, in a sleeping bag..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    And believe me when the bear comes asking for the power bar, he doesn't say please! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Visit our website: Gift Hill Farm and on Facebook

'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Somewhat off topic, but similar--

I was looking through my Merck Vet Manual, and in the back they list normal ranges of things like heart rate, respiration, urine quantity, etc.

The horse is the most efficient domestic animal, with a heart rate nearly the same as an elephant. It has more efficient kidneys, and its respiration rate is the lowest of the animals listed.

So you see, the bear is a sprinter, but the horse is a stayer. If it avoids the first rush, it's home free.

Unfortunately the book didn't list mooses, bison or hobson. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

BigBay- bear wins hands down in a sprint. A reasonably healthy and fast horse can run away from a bear over a distance, but in a nose to nose OH SH**! situation, you better hope the bear goes the other way. Black bear generally will, if a cub is not involved.

For those of you taking those tree climbing recommendations seriously, I personally am sitting here going [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] I had to hit the brakes coming out of Aspen a couple of nights ago, as a black bear was headed past the Hickory House restaurant ( this was a real bear, not the bronze on the roof, for those of you who have skied here) and toward the road at a good clip. That sucker did not cross the road in front of me as I was expecting, but he did gallop on up an old pine tree right next to the van. No slowing, just change of directions to a vertical. Took a GOOD look at that tree yesterday in the AM light, and from the claw marks, that bear is up that tree a LOT! I would also take the twelve foot recommendation with a BIG grain of salt,since that bear was that high in an eyeblink.

Moose are a bit testier and more likely to charge than a black bear. People who live where both are common walk real careful in moose territory... and are more likely to warn the tourista about the moose than the bear [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] And buffalo 'ranchers' regularly loose horses to p***** off buffalo. We are talking race and ranch bred QH's here, and the buffs are faster. AND they have more endurance than the QH sprinter. Irritated buff is a bad proposition to be around.

Do you all have ANY idea what kind of razzing you are in for when you call in late to work because there is a bear in the yard? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] EVERYONE wants to know if you appreciated their hard work and sweat in dressing up like a bear! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Horses don't all spook off into a runaway at sight of a bear. Most do, especially if unused to other large animals. (My horses are cattle/ deer/ elk/ coyote proof) But an ol lead mare is likely to keep a close eye on that bear, and follow it at a bit of distance.

Lovely, I not only have horses that track mule deer and hunters on nearby slopes, I have to have one that tracks bear! I am off opening gates AWAY from the bear, and my horses are following it! Mare is a smart cookie, she was staying outside easy sprint and catch distance for a bear.