The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm beginning to be very thankful that in my part of Virginia the most dangerous predators are the New Yorker drivers on their way to Florida! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] These moose (moose, mooses, meese?), angry bison, bears, racing peeps, etc. sound quite scary! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
    "Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Halfpasser11:
    I'm assuming that a bear can outrun a horse on a flat track if it came to that. But, can a bear be as nimble and turn on a time like a horse?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Faster actually. Puts a good cutting horse to shame.

Not sure a bear is built well to do dressage, but I would NOT count them down and out on the cross country.

As to moose or bear being faster, the bear better be because moose take to heart the adage that the best defense is a good offense.

Can you all tell I have bears in the neighborhood? Do you know we park near the parks on breaks and see if the tourists and their dogs realize they are walking within a few feet of the bear in the bush? NOBODY will bet the tourista will see the bear anymore. They never do unless the bear moves! Be more fun if this were a sporting proposition...

I hear you Appyhunter. We still have a good number of black bears in the Blue Ridge and while I often smell 'em, I rarely see 'em.

"The man is only half himself, the other half is his expression."

-- Emerson "The Poet" (1844)

what if the bear only has 3 legs? Or the horse has rockets? Or the bear is blind, hits a tree and gets kinda dazed? Who would win then?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

TERRI!!!!
    Guess what guys!?!? Schools out! Guess what guys, IM SO HAPPY!!!!!
    ~*From Terri*~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vineyridge:

Unfortunately the book didn't list mooses, bison or hobson. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm a lot like the bear: pretty quick in a sprint (especially when they prey involves spaghetti or brownies), but when I'm all fat and in my winter coat, I'm toast. No staying power at all.

The final obstacle in a trail trial I competed in last year (placed 4th in my division) was an "abandoned" campsite. A tent, chairs, benches, a backpack tossed on the ground, a rock encircled campfire, a large igloo cooler, and............ a REAL stuffed bear, rearing up on its hind legs with paws spread.

To get the desired "0" score (low score wins), the horses were supposed to walk quietly by. Well, yes, the horses knew it was not a "live" bear. Mine walked quietly by (though he did give that bear a loooooong look) and got his "0" score. Once I was past the "penalty zone" I looked back at the judge and said, "Frankly, if I were on a horse and saw an angry bear, I would hope the horse would get the hell out of town as fast as possible, not walk quietly past it."

Hang on-all the northerners are hogging the geography of this question.
    Now for the southern aspect-what about gators? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    I have heard that gators can be pretty darn fast on a straightaway, and I know when I was living in FL, that I heard of the occassional breeding farm losing a foal to a gator when they wandered too close to the canal.

And don't think my horse hasn't gotten the bear question answered: if confronted by a bear-dump your rider as a sacrifice and gallop away to your barn while bear dines on human [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Any WHY do these questions remind me of my algebra teacher?

If a bear going 30 miles an hour confronts a horse going 20 miles an hour, who gets away first-notwithstanding the moose who shoots between them at the halfway point doing 40 miles an hour and being very mad....................
    AND NONE OF THEM ARE ON THE TRAIN [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stegall:
    If a bear going 30 miles an hour confronts a horse going 20 miles an hour, who gets away first-notwithstanding the moose who shoots between them at the halfway point doing 40 miles an hour and being very mad....................
    AND NONE OF THEM ARE ON THE TRAIN [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stegall, this is because bear, horse and moose are ALL faster than Amtrak.

Did you know that mad moose sink small boats?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anne FS:

"Running Speed: Bears can run uphill and downhill and on flat ground. Lean bears can run faster than 30 miles per hour. Fat bears in their winter coats overheat and tire quickly when running."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then I'd make sure not to race a bear i the summer but in the winter when they are fat! Lol. Good lesson to remember, never ever race a bear on a horse. HaHa!

MY husband says if it's a grizzle your toast. However, only if you're not running downhill. Apparently, bears have a balance issue downhill.

SO, if you and Trigger meet Smokey in the woods you should head downhill if given the option!

Also here in Tennessee some guy got a citation this weekend by attacking and throwing a (obviously small) black bear to the ground. The tourist was not happy that said bear was in the processes of procuring a veal venison snack. The bear ran off and didn't get the snack, the fawn had to be put down because of it's injuries and the tourist I hope was shown the stateline--what does he think bears eat anyway?

when I read your race card!! WAHAHA!!! I am glad that there are none of the aforementioned on Long Island !!Having lived on the Eastern shore of MD for several years if in fact the PIG SMELL is like the BEAR SMELL well I can understand why manyhorses d not like Eau du bear puuuuuu!
    Brilyntrip