The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2012 Maryland Hunt Cup video

Thanks for posting the vid!

Thanks for posting! It really was a great race this year. Battle Op was one of the best behaved race horses I've ever seen-very collected while in the paddock, and really paid attention to whoever was handling him rather than getting distracted and wound up by the crowd.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I've seen a lot of Hunt Cups. Often you watch and are dazzled by how well they jump those really big fences going that fast. This was not one of those years.

Twill Do jumped great. Prospector's Strike's jock must have been glad to see the finish line with no fences in the way. I don't know how Battle Op stayed up, or his rider stayed on at the 16th.

Thanks for posting.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I don't know how Battle Op stayed up, or his rider stayed on at the 16th.
    It really was a ridiculous save. He was all the way down on his knees, but then was just all, "lol nope I'm finishing this."
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Didn't there used to be a fence just in front of the water?
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Not in the last 55 years that I know of.

Anyone notice Professor Maxwell(?) almost going down crossing the road? That looked a bit sketchy...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCamry View Post
    Madeline I beg to differ;

The water jump is the 21st fence, 2 from home, the stats say (from a 1975 book on the Hunt Cup) it is 2-11 and 6-6 wide because of the camera angle you can’t see the creek after it. Like the My Lady’s Manor race but the Manor is a bigger fence not as wide but the creek is well below the grade of the land. If you should look down while in the saddle, which I have done it is a long way to the bottom not a fence to “pogo” over. All of the Hunt Cup fences are exactly the same height, position and stature as they were in 1922 when the race returned permanently to the present course. The race committee had the course surveyed and recorded along with placing a surveyor’s stone for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I don't know how Battle Op stayed up, or his rider stayed on at the 16th.
    Battle Op ran a heck of a race to finish a very frustrating second. If he had flew the last he most likely would have won. No disrespect to Twill Do but Battle Op had to work much harder. My condolences and congrats to the trainer Lilli Kurtinecz, rider Connor Hankin and owner Northwoods Stable for a tough loss. Also I tip my hat to the “Kid” Jackson Roberts, age 16, on Fort Henry well done!

Quote Originally Posted by gumtree View Post
    Madeline I beg to differ;

The water jump is the 21st fence, 2 from home, the stats say (from a 1975 book on the Hunt Cup) it is 2-11 and 6-6 wide because of the camera angle you can’t see the creek after it. Like the My Lady’s Manor race but the Manor is a bigger fence not as wide but the creek is well below the grade of the land. If you should look down while in the saddle, which I have done it is a long way to the bottom not a fence to “pogo” over. All of the Hunt Cup fences are exactly the same height, position and stature as they were in 1922 when the race returned permanently to the present course. The race committee had the course surveyed and recorded along with placing a surveyor’s stone for future reference.
    I thought that the previous poster was looking for another fence between the road and the water jump. And that ain't there. The water jump is as it has always been, a small fence with water below.
    madeline