The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

ARRGGGGHHHHHH !! Just had this beautiful eloquent response all typed in and the darn computer crashed! Will try again later when it calms down!

Thanks from me too Anne! Man, I am impressed to see this thread still going! Hope it keeps on for at least a few more days.
    You Strike Me Still

Let' try again...

What I was about to say before, was that I too was glad to see this thread continuing and was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the longer its been here, the more it gets noticed/read and that new people respond to it positively? I thnk thats great. I also hope that many of the lurkers out there have enjoyed it too. Good for Anne to have started it - I contemplated it but was a little to shy to start it myself.

Funny, never thought that I would become fond of "virtual people", but I have started to recognize the distince personalities behind the user names on this BB - makes it all the more fun! Wish I had been more creative with my username at the begining...

Thanks to those who answered my questions about Camp David and the EAF - talk about quick turn-around!

Interesting about me "fitting" in at Camp David - wonder if they'd let me in? LOL! Jair for Prime Minister ! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Glad I sound reasonably intelligent in my posts - sometimes I think I forget what I'm talking about by the time I get to the end of a long one though.

Retro! (or Phish?) look forward to your questions.

Thanks again to all the new posters. Good to hear from you.

[This message has been edited by Jair (edited 07-19-2000).]
    You Strike Me Still

I, too, would like to thank all of you for the absolutely fascinating and refreshing thread! I am touched beyond words by your honest thoughts, compassion, observations, and faith.

This is why I continue to be part of these boards - even as other thread crash and burn, require divine intervention (Erin...), etc!

Thanks again.

W.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

CLOSE ENOUGH!!!!!!!!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sea Urchin:
    But Good to Go, that would mean you're only 27 years old right?....NOT!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been sorry not to have enough time to contribute the kind of well-stated response this topic and thread deserves. But I wanted to say this has been a great thread, and such a good dialog among intelligent people discussing important subjects rationally. You should all be proud of yourselves -- even if pride is a sin. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. It doesn't mean G-d doesn't love heterosexuals, it's just that they need more supervision."

I will web surf and try to find the source for the above quote, but it is a favorite of mine.

LOVE the quote Twister. Look forward to hearing where you got it from.
    You Strike Me Still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jair:
    What is Camp David?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Camp David is the rustic Presidential retreat in the Maryland mountains. Jimmy Carter used it for the Camp David Accords, between Begin and Sadat, and Pres. Clinton has had the Palestinian and Israeli leaders there again over the past week in an attempt to win further cooperation between the two nations.

The tone of discussion in this thread is exceptional. It is wonderful to see so many people sharing thoughts on a topic, especially such a hot-button one, so civilly and with such consideration for each other's opinions. The ability to have this type of discourse on this board is one of the big reasons I keep hanging out here. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Perhaps, since we have proved we can handle *hot* topics in a logical, non-attacking manner, now would be the time to settle the following issues:

Dehner vs. Vogel
    Mane pulling vs. GroomaSolo Comb
    1st & 3rd billets vs. 2nd & 3rd
    Jack Russell vs. Corgi
    Corgi (Pembroke) vs. Corgi (Cardigan)
    Tailored Sportsman vs. Millers CR-7
    Appaloosas vs. Anything
    Chocolate vs. Vanilla
    and finally, the longest lasting argument ever to appear in Ann Landers column,
    Toilet Paper: Fall OVERthe roll vs. Hang UNDER the roll.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    No kidding, folks, this has been a great thread.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Maybe this should be a new thread, a pre-Friday humor piece? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Dehner vs. Vogel - I use Petries
    Mane pulling vs. GroomaSolo Comb - Grooma, no question
    1st & 3rd billets vs. 2nd & 3rd - How about long vs. short billets?
    Jack Russell vs. Corgi - Jack Russell
    Corgi (Pembroke) vs. Corgi (Cardigan) - Jack Russell
    Tailored Sportsman vs. Millers CR-7 - Aanstadt Das fullseats (or perhaps the booger fully seatless model, lol)
    Appaloosas vs. Anything - TB, TB, TB
    Chocolate vs. Vanilla - white chocolate

Toilet Paper: Fall OVER the roll vs. Hang UNDER the roll. - We ALL know that the tissue always hangs UNDER the roll in the toniest homes!
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

Rescuemom - I beg to differ! The roll ALWAYS comes over the top! It makes more sense that way IMO. (except for the time Mr.Giant Spider came over the top for a ride.. )

As for the others:

Dehner vs. Vogel - Vogels
    Mane pulling vs. GroomaSolo Comb - the Grooma
    1st & 3rd billets vs. 2nd & 3rd - 1st & 3rd of course!
    Jack Russell vs. Corgi - Can't stand either
    Corgi (Pembroke) vs. Corgi (Cardigan) - German Shephard (to menace smaller dogs)
    Tailored Sportsman vs. Millers CR-7 - Pikeur
    Appaloosas vs. Anything - Selle Francais
    Chocolate vs. Vanilla - CHOCOLATE!

And finally, the age old question that I'm sure everyone's dying to know about me:

Boxers or Briefs? = the Boxer Brief of course!
    You Strike Me Still

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:

Dehner vs. Vogel - Konings
    Mane pulling vs. GroomaSolo Comb - pulling
    1st & 3rd billets vs. 2nd & 3rd - 1st & 3rd
    Jack Russell vs. Corgi - we have both
    Corgi (Pembroke) vs. Corgi (Cardigan) - Pembroke
    Tailored Sportsman vs. Millers CR-7 - TS or Pikuer
    Appaloosas vs. Anything - Anything
    Chocolate vs. Vanilla - Chocolate
    Toilet Paper: Fall OVERthe roll vs. Hang UNDER the roll. Over
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This topic has been wonderful,

Sometimes the solution to these heated debates is so simple. The problems are from misunderstanding. Any one remember playing that telephone game that illustrates how rumour get all convoluted? (make a line and wisper something in the first persons ear and they then whisper to the next.......)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kryswyn:
    Perhaps, since we have proved we can handle *hot* topics in a logical, non-attacking manner, now would be the time to settle the following issues:

Dehner vs. Vogel
    1st & 3rd billets vs. 2nd & 3rd
    Tailored Sportsman vs. Millers CR-7

Jair has the right idea, Boxer Briefs ONLY, please - there solved.

Jack Russell vs. Corgi
    Corgi (Pembroke) vs. Corgi (Cardigan)

One of each, please - there solved.

Appaloosas vs. Anything
    Mane pulling vs. GroomaSolo Comb

Pick the App and you dont need to worry about the mane - just kidding.

Chocolate vs. Vanilla

Swirl

Toilet Paper: Fall OVERthe roll vs. Hang UNDER the roll.

This one is so difficult that I have to admit, we just let the roll sit on the back of the toilet rather then offend anyone.
    No kidding, folks, this has been a great thread.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I get thougts on this?:
    As a straight person (or at least only slightly bent) I have seen that it seems almost easier to be in the horse world and be gay. Some of the greats out there seem to surround themselves with birds of a feather and if your not of that type, seems like it's harder - despite the talent level. I know of a very specific example of when being straight actually detrimented a persons career. Does this seems accurate and might this be a reason for a seemingly high amount of homosexuals in the horse world - because the straights find it too hard and get out? Just a thought - I know I might be all washed up, but there does seem to be some reverse discrimination. Of course, I know there are some top riders that are straight too, but Im talking about the average Joe's, not those extremes.

Interesting points Retrophish. (did you get my email?)

I would say to the first part, that yes, it is easier being gay in the horse world because in general it is more accepted. (as evidenced on this thread). No one thinks twice about a gay man at their barn. They might notice he's gay, depending on the individual, but then just not think about it anymore. However in the general work force (ie. "suit world") it is more noticed and probably thought about quite a bit. And, in lots of cases, not treated well by the other male co-workers. My old job which I hated was like that, a lot of the men were very standoffish towards me (some more enlightened individuals thought it was kind of cool that I was gay) and some I got the impression were scared that I "was catching" or something [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] . Hated that job. Worse thing was that I never actually said anything about it at the beginning- a b*tch of a female coworker who was upset after months of flirting unsucessfully with me until I finally said "not interested" blabbed over the whole (+300 staff) office! Grrrrrr.

Left that job to work back at the barn for a while to re-establish my equilibrium. And man, what a joy. Not just the horse aspect which is incredibly soothing (I often go to the barn if I need to think) but just that people know me for who I am. And thats it.

As for you other view, Retro, that in the close-knit hunter jumper world you almost NEED to be gay to get ahead. Hmmm. While I can see that happening on a small scale, I think that in the long run - its how your ride and conduct yourself that will make an indiviual succeed. How I can see it happening though is through a gardening example: there are lots of gay men/women in the garden industry, and as many know, the gay community is good at recognizing their own. My mom loves gardening stuff - so I offered to take her to this great garden centre near my barn (very, upscale, snooty type place, lots of beautfiul flowers etc. though - the garden centre, not my barn). I noticed right away the owner/propieter and main helper were gay. Mom doesn't think about this. Anyways, when my mom was trying to get help, she said the men were snotty and rude and kept brushing her off with "back in a second", however, when I stopped the very gay owner for help - I suddenly got the royal treatment. Big smile etc. and a "what can I do for YOU". My mom asked after, why was he suddenly so polite to you and not me? My answer: because he knew I was gay. So yes, there is favourtism out there.

I haven't had much to do with the big hunter/jumper shows, so someone else will have to give examples of gay favourtism in those circles. Hope I am making sense...

Tell me more about your example, Retrophish. I'd like to hear it.
    You Strike Me Still

I think it IS starting to be cool to be gay, particularly in the horse industry (including the women). At the same time, though, I think what Retro is seeing has to do with the number of top trainers who are (openly) gay. If you think back 15-20 years or so, especially to the jumper ranks, you might recall the dominant male figure was dramatically different, wouldn't you say?
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

ok so here's my in put ....Gay straight whatever....it is ridiculous to make such a big deal about someone else's sexual orientation...It is a fact of life ,the differences are what keep things interesting...I do not care as long as no one is hurt.Kids should be left alone to find their own way.
    Brilyntrip

PacificSolo: God loves all the little children in the world, even the ones who show Arabians in the hunter rings. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Toilet paper under...so when kitty plays with it, s/he doesn't unravel the whole darn roll (that goes for paper towels, too!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Once again, a wonderful discussion... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Tinwhistle Farm

Retrophish, perhaps the perception that gays have an easier row to hoe in the English equestrian world stems from the fact that people tend to remember gayness, not straightness. Sexual orientation tops the list of characteristics we use to describe a person only when they are gay, not when they are straight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pacificsolo:
    Hey, Jair! I just started excercising horses for an Arabian Sporthorse farm, and most of their crosses are with the SF's...I haven't ridden either of the ones that are broke yet, but I'll let you know what I think of 'em both after I do! Absolutely awesome breed and so gorgeous to look at!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

PacificSolo - sounds like a cool job. You are so right about the SF's - they are beautiful. I fell in love with them when I first saw the French Team in action at the Royal Winter Fair in the '80's. They are like peas in a pod in how powerful and sleek they look. Gotta love Quito de Baussy and Baloubet de Rouet!

Hey Nancy - never thought about that particular reason for hanging under. Not that our cat would ever do someting like that... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Good point Pwynn - 20 years ago would have been different (was only 7 so no personal experience), although I imagine the gay men were there, they weren't Out There so to speak. Good to see that's it become more accepted, especially from some of the people who posted here who indicated that they had grown up with same-sex couples at their barns as trainers, and never thought anything of it. That's how it should be IMO!

Hey, if its trendy to be gay, then I must be TOTALLY TRENDY because I really am!!! LOL http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/cool.gif
    You Strike Me Still