The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New York Times Front Page article 4/30/12

Excellent article on the front page of the New York Times today.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

No link?

Some of us Kuntry Folk do not have ready access to NYT
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/30/us...acks.html?_r=1

I liked this much better than the widely inaccurate previous article. While there is still quite a bit of sensationalism,there are some great points made. We in the industry have been speaking about these issues for some time now. We are just now seeing some progress.

I will wait for the questions and commentary before I start rebutting with links to what is being done to improve the issues addressed in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    No link?

Some of us Kuntry Folk do not have ready access to NYT

All you "Kuntry Folk" need do - instead of depending on someone to supply a link - is type in www.newyorktimes.com.

I'm "Kuntry Folk" too, although I spell it "Country Folk", & I have no problem figuring these things out. Go figure.

I must be a jeeeneous.

I said I would wait but this link is new from NY racing.

http://www.racing.ny.gov/pdf/0430121...PriceLasix.pdf

"The New York State Racing and Wagering Board today took two significant actions to increase safety and integrity of horse racing in New York State.
    The Board issued an emergency rule that significantly reduces the incentive of owners and trainers to enter horses in claiming races where they could be outperformed to the point of serious injury or death to the horse or jockey. The rule requires a proportional economic relationship between the purse offered in a claiming race and the value of a claiming horse. Specifically, it requires that the minimum price of a horse entered into a claiming race be at least half the value of the purse of the race.
    The Racing and Wagering Board is also considering changing its rules regarding the use of Furosemide (also known as Salix or Lasix) in horse racing. the Board today opened a two week public comment period from the horse racing industry on the widely used diuretic."

Thanks for posting the link LAB; I am simply inept. The racing industry needs oversight; without it, bad people do bad things, desperate people do desperate things. The arthritic horse, the one in pain, the one with screws in its leg and the old one need a voice. Perhaps with more oversight, and purses more in line with the value of the horse, horses won't be pushed to do what they cannot do. Less injuries for the horses and the jockeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    All you "Kuntry Folk" need do - instead of depending on someone to supply a link - is type in www.newyorktimes.com.

I'm "Kuntry Folk" too, although I spell it "Country Folk", & I have no problem figuring these things out. Go figure.

I must be a jeeeneous.
    Posting about an article without posting a link (or even the title of the article) is just as obnoxious as posting JUST a link. Well, obnoxious, or lazy. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    The racing industry needs oversight; without it, bad people do bad things, desperate people do desperate things. The arthritic horse, the one in pain, the one with screws in its leg and the old one need a voice. Perhaps with more oversight, and purses more in line with the value of the horse, horses won't be pushed to do what they cannot do. Less injuries for the horses and the jockeys.
    Amen!

The racing industry needs oversight; without it, bad people do bad things, desperate people do desperate things. The arthritic horse, the one in pain, the one with screws in its leg and the old one need a voice. Perhaps with more oversight, and purses more in line with the value of the horse, horses won't be pushed to do what they cannot do. Less injuries for the horses and the jockeys.
    Don't worry about anything. There is a poster on this board who states repeatedly that he/she is entrenched in the industry. This poster says the big issues will be all fixed shortly from the inside out through swift collective and proactive internal reform. The problems were created by the industry, they will be solved by the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Introspect View Post
    Don't worry about anything. There is a poster on this board who states repeatedly that he/she is entrenched in the industry. This poster says the big issues will be all fixed shortly from the inside out through swift collective and proactive internal reform. The problems were created by the industry, they will be solved by the industry.
    and then there are those rara posters who want to deny anything is being done. quack quack

Quote Originally Posted by lifesabreeze View Post
    and then there are those rara posters who want to deny anything is being done. quack quack
    Tell the posters over at paceadvantage or turfnsport that everything is under control. Those guys would eat your lunch.

Tell the posters over at paceadvantage or turfnsport that everything is under control. Those guys would eat your lunch.

I don't visit turfnsport but I have seen paceadvantage. Besides the usual "drugs, drugs, DRUGS!" and "They're all cheatin!" folderol, one of their big issues du jour is the change of track code from Hol to BFH (Betfair Hollywood). Like that's such a struggle.

I'm a poster at paceadvantage and they are more than willing to discuss all the things being done to change the sport. They have a few rara's there but most of the 'cappers are knowledgeable and/or intelligent and love to read and learn. The ones that do not "know" horses per se are more than willing to read multiple pages to inform themselves about any issue. They are computer handicappers so facts rule with them.

They are not handwringing negative nellies there. They discuss and then fire off letters,email with suggestion and complaints to the appropriate parties. They are very pro-active like I am. There are, of course, a few worry warts who contribute nothing but anguish, same as here on Coth.

I research and pass on opinions and ideas from the handicappers, non-racing horsemen and the public. The pace advantage group are one of my best resources for what 'cappers are thinking and what is important to them. I come here for non-race horsemen's opinions in addition to 'cappers,racetrackers and fans.

Sorry but I ignore the raras as they will always deem racing and horse sports as cruel. I also ignore those that do not even attempt to push for change and only whine. I am pro-active and am not a sit and cry type of person.

I don't read turfnsport.

Another article in the NYT today 'NEW YORK CUTS RACE PURSES IN EFFORT TO INCREASE HORSE SAFETY'. LAB, would you be kind enough to post the link again (I simply do not know how - sorry and thank you in advance). "...It acknowledged that fattened purses...had created a dangerous incentive to push sore or unfit horses onto the track". "At Aqueduct, horses with ...value of $7500 had raced ...for a $40,000 purse. In that race, two horses broke down and had to be euthanized." "If there's no race day medication, you'd solve a lot or problems" said Gary Stevens. Stevens goes on to say that drugs are not tolerated in Europe and Hong Kong and that he never had a horse breakdown. Hopefully, some positive change is coming to benefit horse and jockey.

Lizzie, check your private messages. I've tried to write out instructions on how to copy and paste a URL. I realize that someone may be genius in other ways, but still be confused about how to work these computers.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

thank you

Another article in the NYT today 'NEW YORK CUTS RACE PURSES IN EFFORT TO INCREASE HORSE SAFETY'. LAB, would you be kind enough to post the link again (I simply do not know how - sorry and thank you in advance). "...It acknowledged that fattened purses...had created a dangerous incentive to push sore or unfit horses onto the track". "At Aqueduct, horses with ...value of $7500 had raced ...for a $40,000 purse. In that race, two horses broke down and had to be euthanized." "If there's no race day medication, you'd solve a lot or problems" said Gary Stevens. Stevens goes on to say that drugs are not tolerated in Europe and Hong Kong and that he never had a horse breakdown. Hopefully, some positive change is coming to benefit horse and jockey.
    I already did post that,it is post #5 It is a link to the actual report from the NYS Racing and Wagering Board that the Times based their story on. I try to go to the facts as much as possible and "duck" the hype.

http://www.racing.ny.gov/pdf/0430121...PriceLasix.pdf