The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Owww OP! I too busted my right ankle yesterday! However, mine was not even remotely HR, I just fell into a boat. I got back from the Urgent Care guy a few hours ago and mine is just a bad sprain... but not near as ouchie looking as yours!! I'll join you in the "my right ankle hurts" pity party though!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

OH, that is one nasty looking ankle. I don't have any specific examples-I'm sure I have had them. I just want to say that having my "baby" home now really makes me think about everything I do around horses. I know that I have taken my older guy who is a saint, for granted.

I don't know the new horse very well, and it has been a long time since having a young horse, I feel stupid around the horse all the time.

Feel better, get some standing wraps on that leg with bute !

OP, that's probably the most painful looking non-bloody photo I've ever seen. I hope you feel better soon.

Mine: walked into my (then) new gelding's stall with a stash of forgotten peppermints in my pocket. Walked out with a concussion.

Ohh nasty looking ankle.

Let's see, way too many stupid stories, that all taught or reinforced important lessons, lessons you would have thought I wouldn't have had to learn the hard way, such as:

1 - don't urge balky lesson pony into trot for little kid by whacking it on the butt with your hand while you are jogging behind it.

2 - don't try to get escaped mare to back out of feed room by pulling on her tail, and

3 - most definitely, don't lead a herd of young TB's through a small gate to their feeding area with arms full of grain buckets.

I could go on and on... I think anyone who's been in horses long enough could.

Hope you heal fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    I have too many stupid stories to relate here Perhaps someday I would write a book. The best title would probably be "What NOT To Do With Your Horses".
    Me too. My mother calls it "When smart people do stupid things."

The last, most memorable one was when, between the two of us we managed to A. not use the little webbings that fasten the saddle pad to the billets. B. use a girth that was a bit too long and C. not tighten the girth well.

I remember the circumstances, but not the outcome. I don't think it involved a concussion... wil have to meditate on this point and see if the rest of the story comes back to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    I had to call in a sub (I teach middle school)

I know this is really off topic, but what school do you teach at? It's possible that you are one of my teachers...

I hopped on a "bomb proof" "kids horse" to show it to some prospective buyers. I had on shorts and sneakers and helmetless. I was riding him out in the field and was cantering on a loos rein (this horse was a real sweetie. I had ridden him for hours and hours on trail with nary a spook).

A little horse eating bunny came hopping out of the grass. I immediately became suspended in mid air for what seemed an eternity. Thankfully I was not using my stirrups (not too willing to put my sneaker clad feet in them). I heard my bones crack when I hit the ground.

An ambulance ride on a backboard, 4 cracked ribs and a badly bruised pelvis.
    I have less damage over the years from being bitten, kicked, from a horse flipping on me, from going over the jumps without my horse, from baling off a bolter....

Kids horse my ass!!! I will never live it down.

My sympathies. I was holding Irish's leadrope in my left hand while putting up the hotwire gate with my right hand. He knows what hotwird is and wasn't going to be close. One dislocated pinky later...

StG

Quote Originally Posted by Lauruffian View Post
    Is it bad that while I was sitting on the ground waiting for help I was thinking, "Well, at least my kids are done with testing"?
    I teach high school, so I'm totally with you on that!

Here's one of my dumbest moves. The only time I've fallen off a horse in the last ten years I was in my driveway, and we were standing still.

So how does that happen? We were just heading out to go on a trail ride and my husband changed his mind about wearing a jacket. His horse was not impressed with the jacket removal process so I reached over to hold a rein. Go ahead and tell me how stupid that is, but I already KNEW that was stupid, which makes it double stupid. Beyond belief stupid. Well anyway his horse can back up quicker than I have the reflexes to let go - I was not trying to hold on - and bloop there I went on the ground Gravel, by the way, flat on my back. Fortunately I was completely unharmed - just my pride was damaged - and my horse was a trooper (had one of those looks on his face) and just stood there waiting for me to get back on.

I put my very quiet gelding into the outdoor arena (with grass) because the pasture was full of horses. The outdoor did not have a gate, only a rope across the opening. I thought, delusionally, "he never runs, he'll be fine. I'll just stand here in case". Horses in pasture (next to outdoor) start running. My horse starts running. Straight for me. Horses in pasture run past where outdoor stops. My horse cannot see rope and is pretty sure he can squeeze between me and fence. My horse hits rope hard enough to pull the two posts it is tied to out of the ground, rope grabs me under the rib cage and I get tossed into the air and down on my front. Cannot breathe, but am begging horse to "whoa" in a barely audible, breathy voice. After catching horse (unscathed of course), I realized I was not. Broken ribs and feeling like an idiot!
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend

Whoa! That is one big fat ankle, OP--hope they gave ya some good drugs!

OK, here are my latest idiotic horse moments that resulted in injury:

1. I'm in the paddock refilling Horsey's water bucket when Horsey comes over for a drink. I'm leaning over the bucket and stupidly stay there while he's drinking. Of course, Horsey hears something and jerks his head up quickly, causing his gigantic skull to crack into mine. Big ole egg-sized bruised lump on my forehead for several days afterwards, thankfully no concussion.

2. Hand-grazing Horsey in the neighborhood, and I grab a giant handful of super-tall grass and proceed to feed it to him, along with my hand. *Crack* Nail broken, blood flowing everywhere, and now I get to walk Horsey back to the barn with one hand.

3. Trimmer gives me a pair of Cavallo Sport Boots and I decide to try them on Horsey. He has never had any kind of boot or shoe on his hoof, but I decide to just slap them on him while he's on the cross-ties. Brilliant. I put on the left one and he's doing the velocirator snort and looking at his hoof with his eyes bugged out of his head. He's also trembling like a little leaf. I then make the oh-so-intelligent decision to walk in front of him, and my foot hits the edge of my plastic grooming tote, which makes a slight scraping sound as it moves (a whole inch) across the concrete floor. Horsey totally loses his sh*t, pulls way back on the cross-ties, and his leather halter breaks, still on the cross-ties. Halter sling-shots directly towards me at great velocity, and the brass buckle gets me about a centimeter below my eye. Instant bruising, swelling, and redness--my very first black eye! And it's from a halter. Horsey proceeds to calmly walk down the aisle, ignoring my many "Whoa, you dirty b@stard!"s, only stopping when I grab his tail.

See, OP, you are in good company! We're all a bunch of mindless klutzes, apparently!

Horsey proceeds to calmly walk down the aisle, ignoring my many "Whoa, you dirty b@stard!"s, only stopping when I grab his tail
    ROFLMAO!!!
    Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
    Anonymous Bedouin legend

This story is almost too mortifying to share, but here it goes. Safety 101 - FAIL!

In June of last year, my friend and I hauled my TB mare to the vet to have her stifles injected. The trailer ride home was a bumpy one and we arrived back at the barn right at feeding time. Maresy was not amused and was ready to unload NOW. I hurried to the trailer window with the leadrope and clipped it on right as my friend dropped the ramp and unhooked the butt bar. Mare started backing up a little too quickly and in that split second I realized that the nylon leadrope was double-wrapped around my upper arm. Talk about a holy sh!t moment when you realize that your entire arm is about to be degloved. I freaked and reached in through the trailer window with my other arm and made a grab for her halter to stop her. Naturally, she panicked and proceeded to exit the trailer at warp speed, picking me up off of the ground and partway through the window in the process. Mercifully, the leather crown on her breakaway halter snapped at that moment and I crumpled to the ground in a heap.

Didn't go to the hospital, though I should have. The leadrope had tightened so fast, that the circulation was momentarily cut off in my lower left arm. The swelling above where the lead had been wrapped was quite dramatic, but I could tell it wasn't broken.

Eleven months later and I still have an indention in the muscle at the back of my arm, and some permanent scarring/discoloration where the rope tightened. My whole arm aches when it's cold and I don't have full sensation in that area. You can also see the scar where the leadrope was spiraled around the front of my arm, but the indentation makes it look like I have a pretty sweet tricep muscle on that side!!

Never making that mistake again.... Never get in a hurry around horses. Ugh.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ouch!

On Saturday, I took my horse's halter off after turning him around. Then I stood there daydreaming for a second in the midst of his pile of hay, which he stepped up toward and began eating, stepping squarely on my foot in the process--hidden under his hay. I yelled and flung myself toward his shoulder to shove him off of me, except that as I yelled he jumped back, meaning that there was no shoulder for me to fling myself against. I fell over, flailing wildly, and then had to hobble over and soothe my poor horse, who was pressed against the back wall with his head buried in the corner wondering what the heck he had done.

OUCH! Glad you're (mostly!) ok.

It was a LOOONG walk to bring my older, dead broke gelding in from the pasture, so I grabbed my helmet (thank God!) and decided to ride him back. Got on a hay bale and went to jump on his back. At that moment, horsey decided said hay bale looked yummy and turned and I somersaulted headfirst onto the ground. That HURT but luckily (because of the helmet!) I only had a bit of a headache and not a serious injury.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Too many to list. To ashamed to admit to half of them anyways...

OP, that looks broken EXCEPT lack of bruising. To be honest, not broken can be worse than broken. Give us an update, and remember to RICE.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Heh-heh; I was clipping this gnarly old beast who didn't much care for clipping. The owner said she'd be there to help me; didn't show up. So I started clipping anyway and had him 7/8 done and she still wasn't there.
    He HATED having his head done so I put on the standard rope 'n wooden handle twitch, tucked it under my arm and had at it.

Well, he set back, pulled the twitch-handle away from me, and started SPINNING it like Bruce Lee with a nunchuk--and like a goldarn fool I waded into the "propeller blade" thinking I could CATCH it!

Yup. Clomped me a shot clean across the bridge of the nose right before he got the twitch off and snorted triumphantly. Owner (a nurse) now shows up and freaks out because I'm sitting there on the blacksmith-shop bench appearing to be bleeding out into a moldy towel. She said my nose was broken and I needed to go to the ER. I said, "Yeah, and what are they going to do there?" "Well, they'll RE-BREAK the nose and pack it with about three pounds of cotton to stop the bleeding." Which by now was stopping.
    "Oh; Let's. Just. NOT!!!"

I went in the house, washed an Advil down with a glass of water, and finished clipping the horse, this time with HER holding the twitch. My nose is a fine, distinguished shape to this very day . . .

And then there's the time I stood behind the bush-hog while my Dad was backing it into the barn, but I'll leave that one to your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    Well, he set back, pulled the twitch-handle away from me, and started SPINNING it like Bruce Lee with a nunchuk--and like a goldarn fool I waded into the "propeller blade" thinking I could CATCH it!

Ouch! Nast looking ankle.

Aside from hitting myself in the face with a hoofpick probably my dumbest moment resulting in an injury was when I was a spectator/friend at a horse and livestock show. Friend asked me to hold mare for a moment. I was still spectating when mare went all googly-eyed over some sheep being unloaded (She had seen this many times before). Something about this horrified her and she sidestepped onto my foot (I had been facing her but off to one side). To make it worse she stayed on the sneaker-clad foot and then twisted as she watched the Killer Sheep, completely ignoring me yelling and slapping at her! My little toe has been sideways ever since.

I feel your pain about the lesson plans as well. Our testing was in March (I dont know why...) Some years ago I went to a walk-in clinic for heartburn and the doctor called an ambulance for suspected heart issues. My biggest concern? My students' grades were in my bag in the car and had to be turned in the next day My mom turned them in - and shared stories of my misfortune with almost everyone at the school!

I hope it's not broken or cracked. If not, you'll be fine. How do I know? I've had my ankle look like that a bunch of times. I always end up getting clipped or smacked with a hoof in the ankle. My suggestion--ice it NON-STOP right now and get down the swelling because scar tissue forms and that bump stays permanently. I could send you a picture of my ankle that looks like that right now, from scar tissue.