The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for legally sound contracts

Could you recommend a good place to go for having contract language legally interpreted? Or to get equine contracts that will legally stand up in court?

Thanks!

Equine.com has some equine contracts, not sure if that is what you are looking for. http://www.equine.com/help/legal.aspx

A law office. Seriously. You get what you pay for.

See a lawyer.

Find a lawyer licensed in your state. State courts don't all take the same approach to interpreting contract language.

Release and indemnification language vary greatly from state to state. If you are contemplating a contract containing these see an attorney.

Default Equine Legal Solutions

Call Rachel: http://www.equinelegalsolutions.com/

She also has a number of contracts available on-line that you can download (pay first, but much cheaper than having something created from scratch).

Go see a lawyer. Equine liability laws are particular to each state.

So everybody with a boarding contract, sales contract, etc goes to a lawyer in their State to have it drafted up? Equine Legal concepts is basically what I was looking for, but they are limited in the States they represent.

I just want some generic, but legally sound, contract language for mainly boarding, riding (hold harmless), and sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Yowsa View Post
    So everybody with a boarding contract, sales contract, etc goes to a lawyer in their State to have it drafted up? Equine Legal concepts is basically what I was looking for, but they are limited in the States they represent.

I just want some generic, but legally sound, contract language for mainly boarding, riding (hold harmless), and sales.
    I don't know.

I'm just saying that in my state, we have some case law that says if someone is planning to rely on a law that limits their liability, their release needs to make that plain.

Obviously, you're not in my state so the above may not apply to your situation. Or it might - Pa may have the same requirements. I don't know and neither does anybody else who's not licensed to practice law in Pa. and familiar with Pa equine liability law.

So everybody with a boarding contract, sales contract, etc goes to a lawyer in their State to have it drafted up?
    No, but they probably should.

Every situation is different, and the state and local laws can vary.

Most transactions go just fine, and contract is never brought into play.

In the unlikely event that you should end up in court, I would think you would want every advantage you can get.

Nope, everyone does not do that. But everyone who cares whether or not a legal document of any kind (horse related or not) is legally enforceable SHOULD contact a lawyer in their state for such services. There is no one-size fits all.

It sounds like you are also looking for language concerning equine liability/engagement in hazardous activity language. That varies a LOT by state, as each state has its own equine liability statute (and I suppose some states may not have equine liability statutes at all).

"Generic" and "legally sound" are very often two different things. It is not prohibitively expensive to have simple contracts drawn up and the peace of mind and potential money-saving value is well worth it. In my opinion - it is of course, your choice.

Law varies from state to state. ESPECIALLY liability law! If you really want to CYA your contract(s) need to be written especially for you, your situation and your state with your local laws in mind.

A generic contract might have language in it that doesn't pass muster in your state and renders the entire thing invalid.

If you're really, really concerned about CYA you need to pony up the dollars for sound contracts. Money very, very well spent. And if you're setting foot into sales/boarding/liability having an existing relationship with an attorney you trust is probably a smart move in and of itself.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

There is nothing wrong with looking online and getting an idea of some of the things you might like to have in your contracts, barn rules, etc. HOWEVER, you need to then take them to a local attorney, preferably one that knows equine law (you can PM me for recommendations in your area) for review and drafting.

As others have pointed out, the law (liability, contract, etc) varies greatly from state-to-state. This is one of the last places you should be looking to try and save a buck by doing it yourself.
    Most people don't need a $35,000 horse. They need a $1,000 horse and $34,000 in lessons.

"I don't have to be fair… . I'm an American With a Strong, Fact-Free Opinion." (stolen off Facebook)