The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Summer Camps

It's that time of year again. Any suggestions for a riding summer camp for a 9 year old? Virginia, Maryland or West Virginia area. Thanks

I'm sure you'll get a lot of replies, but here is just a quick, off-the-top-of-my-head list. Good luck in your search!

Camp Rim Rock in Yellow Spring, WV. I have many friends who have gone here and adored it! Defiantly worth a look at.

Camp Friendship in Palmyra, VA. Again, I have many friends who have gone here and adore it!

Meadowbrook Stables in Chevy Chase, MD. NOT an overnight camp, but great ponies, great instructors and lots of fun! I ride at Meadowbrook year-round, so feel free to PM me for more info.

Allegheny Riding Camp in Tyrone, PA. Suppost to be great, although I have never been, nor have any friends of mine. Worth a look at, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Pony View Post
    Allegheny Riding Camp in Tyrone, PA. Suppost to be great, although I have never been, nor have any friends of mine. Worth a look at, though.
    I'll second Allegheny (also called Grier Summer). Awesome horses, great facilities!

If you're willing to be brave and step outside your area you can't do better than Roads End Farm. It's about having fun, making friends, and enjoying horses. There are also swim lesson on Spofford Lake a short ride away.

I grew up on Spofford lake and went for many years as did my sister before me. Tom Woodman has to be one of the nicest people ever. They even have a facebook site were many friendships have been continued between summer.

I don't think you could find better horses or people

I went to Camp Friendship when I was younger for a week and did the horse program. I would recommend it for a more novice rider. At the time I was jumping 2'6'' courses and was placed in the most advanced group. Not sure if its changed since then. I also exaggerated my abilities on the application and ended up riding on a level I was used to and comfortable at. A beginner jump friend who went with me was truthful about her level and barely got to canter.

I'm not advocating lying on the application! I'm just saying that she felt very held back (and I know a lot of other girls felt similarly.) However, we only went for one week so its entirely possible they rearrange groups or move riders up in lessons.

ETA: They had some pretty nice horses as well, iirc. This was over ten years ago though.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

I definitely recommend Grier Summer. Great facilities and horses, and they have lesson groups suited for riders who can jump 2'6" and above. They also have a show camp program that attends A rated shows through out PA

Camp Friendship. If your daughter is advanced, she probably will not be very challenged in her lessons. However the horses are great, the facilities are really nice and you cant beat the total camp experience outside of the barn.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

It's not in the area you asked for, but SJ Riding Camp in CT is really amazing. The horses are awesome (some are even 3'6" horses!) and I find that each rider is placed in the perfect level. The beginner program is wonderful and the kids learn so much, and the most advanced group has the chance to get up to about 3'3" and work with some younger horses too. The counselors and instructors are always great riders and good with kids, and I've never met anyone who didn't love it there! PM me if you want any more info. I have a friend who went to Camp Friendship and had a bad experience so I'd be happy to fill you in on that, too.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Can recommend Grier Summer/Allegheny Riding Camp without reservations if you want a true horsey experience. The camp experience outside the horses is not what I would call traditional (girls live in dorms, etc), but is lots of fun. I was a counselor there back when it was Allegheny Riding Camp in the summer of 2005.

I had the best summers of my life at Camp Strawderman, www.campstrawderman.com . It's not for everyone though - it is the true, traditional, rustic American camp experience. With a significant emphasis on horses - jumping lessons in the afternoon for those good enough, early morning trail rides for the most advanced groups, afternoon trail rides sometimes, lessons every morning on the flat, shows at the end of each session, and the big horse show with the drill team at the end of the summer. It runs in 4 2 week sessions.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to hear more options. I would not recommend Camp Friendship - can tell you more about that too.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Sadly I cannot recommend my old summer camp as it doesn't exist any more, at least not in that incarnation.

However, if I wanted my daughter to have the most similar experience, I would send her to Camp Strawderman. In fact, I would like to go to Camp Strawderman!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Default summer camps

If you were asking about summer camps in the 50's, 60's and 70's you would have had some quality choices, particularly in Vermont. Brown Ledge, Buff Ledge and Teela-Wooket all ran quality riding programs. Buff Ledge was where the riding dept. from Skidmore College summered. Many of the campers rode with the likes of Harry de Leyer and George Morris when they weren't at camp. Some of the riders competed at the Garden. I can still remember John Y.G. Walker, a member of the board of the National Horse Show, coming to camp to show with his daughter. Brown Ledge featured the Dana Hall riding department, and Teela-Wooket had a good trainer as well. I think Grier School might in fact be a good choice now. I have seen them at shows and they do a decent job.

I did riding camp at Foxcroft School in Middleburg years ago. Cross country focus, but it was not a hard adjustment for formerly timid middle school me who had only ridden pokey hunter ponies. They do a good job of dividing the groups, and challenging riders without pushing them. I did overnight, but they do have a day camp as well. No difference aside from where you sleep :P Good horses, nice variety of size and temperaments, good at matching up horses and riders, really nice counselors and instructors.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Default Golden vein

I do so wish
    '"y" old camp, Golden Vein was still in existence , but, alas, the property has been sold; it was a wonderful place for girls wanting to ;learn "everything" about horses
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Rim Rock is a great camp run by wonderful people! They have (or did have when I went a few years ago) 2 one week sessions at the beginning of the summer and at the end of the summer for an intensive riding camp. They have a ring lesson, go out on the trails, and have barn management-ish classes, along with swimming every day and other fun camp activities. If you have any questions please message me!

Quote Originally Posted by golde lily View Post
    If you were asking about summer camps in the 50's, 60's and 70's you would have had some quality choices, particularly in Vermont. Brown Ledge, Buff Ledge and Teela-Wooket all ran quality riding programs. Buff Ledge was where the riding dept. from Skidmore College summered. Many of the campers rode with the likes of Harry de Leyer and George Morris when they weren't at camp. Some of the riders competed at the Garden. I can still remember John Y.G. Walker, a member of the board of the National Horse Show, coming to camp to show with his daughter. Brown Ledge featured the Dana Hall riding department, and Teela-Wooket had a good trainer as well. I think Grier School might in fact be a good choice now. I have seen them at shows and they do a decent job.
    Teela-Wooket had the Ethel Walker School horses and their Head of Riding, Julian Mihaly, at least during the 70's when I went for the upper level campers. The Barn Manager ran Dana Hall
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Default summer camps

Actually, now that my memory has been jogged, I think Teela-Wooket did indeed feature Dana Hall's riding program and Brown Ledge supplied their own horses. Too bad these grand old camps aren't still around. Now all of the campers could be enjoying the Vermont summer circuit rather than the shows at the Essex Junction Lions Club!

Brown Ledge is still in existence and has a decent program. Vershire Riding School is a great choice for a girl who wants to eat, sleep, and breathe horses, and it has an eventing bend.

In the MD/VA/WV area, YMCA Camp Letts has a good program at a more reasonable price than a lot of the private camps--it tends to fill early though.

Rim Rock/Friendship/Grier School are also all very good choices.

If you want to go further north, Forest Acres in Maine gets Mount Holyoke's school horses and CJ Law for the summer, so you know that program is amazing!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Sadly I cannot recommend my old summer camp as it doesn't exist any more, at least not in that incarnation.

However, if I wanted my daughter to have the most similar experience, I would send her to Camp Strawderman. In fact, I would like to go to Camp Strawderman!
    My Dad used to drop my pony off at Strawderman on the first Monday evening. He'd always say to Libby, the old riding director (RIP), "Camp is much to good for children!" and Libby would laugh. Those were the days, I loved that camp.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

You can also try for these three camping area: -
    ArtsAbroad: - based Falls Church, VA.
    DeMatha HS Summer Band: - Hyattsville, MD
    Garth Newel Music Center Summer Chamber Music Fellowship Program: - Warm Springs, VA.