The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else get that email about the "Upper Level Dressage Mare" 4 yr old?

Trying not to sound too meowish .... Just curious who else is trying to do flying changes, haunches in around entire arena on their 4 yr old? Is this the trend these days? (Sorry decided to delete my other comments. ) (can't quite decide which emoti to insert here. )

It is a trend, sadly enough, to train as quick as possible to get a higher price at the moment of sale, allthough many people know that it isn't a long term profit......

Well with one of my horses, I did flying changes when he was 4. His canter was so good that I just went across the diagonal asked (or maybe allowed with my body is a better description) and I got a great big clean quiet change - the next diagonal the same result. But I didn't ride changes just maybe once in a while: diagonal change diagonal change nothing more. In general working on stuff like trot canter trot transitions. (This horse never had a problem with the counter canter by the way).

Hanuches in down the entire long side - not sure why any horse needs to do that - but absolutely nothing I've ever done with a 4 yo. With the 4 yo I really try to stick to 4 days a week with one day being a hack, 40 minutes max.

Oh yes, because we really want four year olds learning to swing their haunches around. So sad I cannot get to the eye rolling icon on my Ipad but I can do this one -

And this one -

No sarcasm icon
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

If a horse offered or agreed to do flying changes at ate 4, what's the big deal? They do them in the field all the time and it doesn't kill anyone. Hunter and jumper horses do them too.

Haunches in should not be a problem for a 4 year old either.

Calm down. If you don't want to do this stuff with your horse, then don't. I personally would probably be jealous of the person who was getting flying changes because my horse is 9 and she's just getting them...

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Oh yes, because we really want four year olds learning to swing their haunches around. So sad I cannot get to the eye rolling icon on my Ipad but I can do this one -

And this one -

No sarcasm icon

You must have seen it too. Confused about the upper level part. Surprised that quality was put in video.

Rebecca, you obviously didn't see it.

Young athletic balanced capable horses should be doing changes. Mine do. I would only video changes and lateral work if work was quality, it was fair to the baby horse, and if it wasn't ringing its tail.